La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

Pier 1.5, The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA 94111
salmon ceviche

• La Mar Cebicheria PeruanaCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014

Fun place for Peruvian cuisine and drinks with a waterfront view! Come for happy hour for really well-priced cocktails.

The entrees weren't memorable. The dessert mousse, however, was. The Capitan cocktail was my favorite. The final price was not.

Service was friendly, albeit a bit forgetful on several occasions. They also said they couldn't make custom cocktails that strayed too far from the menu. Very strange, as they charge $12-13 for cocktails. Most cheaper bars can easily whip up something from any desired ingredients. This led me to believe the bartenders here aren't as talented as the prices suggest they should be.

Recommended for:FoodiesOutdoor EnthusiastsTrendsters
  • La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

After trying (and loving) La Mar Cebicheria in Lima, I was really looking forward to try this offspring of famous Peruvian chef Gastón Acurio. While I really enjoyed the food here, the restaurant experience in Lima was more authentic and exciting. The drawback here was the enormous size of the place, though it didn’t feel too crowded and the noise level was reasonable. We ordered several items from different menu sections to share – it was a great way to taste many dishes. The favorites were mixed causas, cebiches, skewered octopus and empanadas de k’apchi. It was a treat to dine here.

• La Mar Cebicheria PeruanaPro 2014

I have been eyeing La Mar for quite sometime and finally decided to take a spontaneous dinner date trip. We started off with the Pisco Sour due to many recommendations. One drink and I was set for the whole night. We ordered:

- Cebiche tasting = which was four types of cebiche. My favorite was cebiche nikei.

- Arroz Jugoso = love the seafood selection

- Pescado = grilled catch of the day, which was salmon. A little overcooked.

- Causa tasting = whipped potatoes topped with seafood or vegetarian ingredients. Never had anything like this before and I enjoyed it very much!

Would love to come back for a dinner party with my friends because I love the decoration and the outdoor seating. Also, love their chips and 3 types of dipping sauce! Heavenly good!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersBusiness TravelersFoodiesNightlife Lovers
  • La Mar Cebicheria PeruanaPro 2014

Beautiful restaurant right on the waterfront. I stopped in for some happy hour bites are they bar. They were tasty but also a bit pricey.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesLocal CultureTrendsters
  • La Mar Cebicheria PeruanaPro 2014

Ceviche at La Mar is by far the best I have tried. I later found out from an article in Time that it is the brain child of Peruvian celebrity chef Gaston Acurio. So on this trip to SF, I made a point to go again, even though I was by myself. The challenge of eating by yourself is that you can't sample a lot of the delicious food. After much debate, I settled on the two Peruvian favorites: ceviche and anticucho de corazon (grilled cow's heart).

To start, I took the waiter's recommendation and went for ceviche de chifa. Wow, that was tasty! Mahi Mahi in sesame leche de tigre, with peanuts, Chinese onion and crispy wonton. The leche de tigre is made from 17 different ingredients. The mahi mahi was marinated in the sauce for just a couple of minutes before it is served. That is why the fish still has that sashimi freshness but also are extremely flavorful.I couldn't stop stuff it in my mouth.

Next the anticucho de corzaon cooked to perfection. It is really easy to make it chewy, but here the heart pieces are tender but also has a bite to it. The spicy sauce they use also adds some additional kick. It is very satisfying and filling.

I wish I had more room for other delicious food, but these two are certainly the must have in my opinion of La Mar.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
  • La Mar Cebicheria PeruanaPro 2014

This is one of Peruvian chief Gastón Acurio's famous restaurants.
    I have no words for the Cebiches, they are divine, and so is everything else.
    For dessert, have an authentic suspiro limeño and you'll be fine.

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
  • La Mar Cebicheria PeruanaPro 2014

I will start with the atmosphere, which is amazing. The restaurant overlooks the water, has high ceilings and a fun, bustling atmosphere. The food, however, is a bit sub par. Best described as modern, Peruvian fusion, La Mar offers a variety of ceviches, which to me felt a bit more like a cross between ceviche and sashimi, with big slices of raw fish, rather than fish cooked in lemon juice. We got the lamb chops. They were small and overcooked. The restaurant is expensive, so I would expect top quality food. Instead I got mediocre cuisine in a fun atmosphere.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife Lovers
  • La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

One of the best restaurants in SF - certainly the best Peruvian. Definitely do the cebiche sampler, the octopus skewers (I've never had octopus prepared so well), lomo saltado and lamb shank. Actually, do everything and anything, because everyone in our party of 14 absolutely loved what they got. If you don't do dinner, at least do drinks. Pisco sours are yummy.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodies
  • La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

La Mar is huge with a great location on the water. The decor complements its position by the sea - lots of blues for instance - and it's very buzzy, despite being so big. The Peruvian food is very good quality but not quite as strong as I'd expected for Gastón Acurio. One I'd try again though.

• La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

La Mar really is an awesome restaurant space that's well-designed and beaming with a bright, exuberant atmosphere. It's very classy, but still keeps a fun energy within its walls -- perfect for a Peruvian restaurant.

The food, however, wasn't as great as I expected for a place with such nice decor and with fairly steep prices. But before I get to the rest of the food, I'm going to start off with the main dish that my waiter (Jason K) suggested that I order. I asked him if I should get the Ma Po Tofu, since I was pretty intrigued to try out a Peruvian-influenced Chinese staple, but he STRONGLY suggested that I go for the Enoki Mushroom Clay Pot. I looked at him with a sense of uncertainty, but he was quite persuasive. Now, I've always had this slight paranoia that waiters are told to push certain items on the menu, not because they're actually delicious, but because they either have a high markup value or they're trying to get rid of it in the kitchen. After this Enoki Mushroom Clay Pot dish, I honestly believe that La Mar participates in that philosophy.

I'm not saying that the dish was horrible, but for $25, it just really is not that good. Very faint flavors -- nothing really Peruvian at all about it. The two pieces of shrimp in there were pathetically small and overcooked. It's a dish that I would expect to be served at some cheap Chinese restaurant in Chinatown; not to be suggested so enthusiastically by our waiter. Yes, it's my fault for ordering it when my gut believed otherwise, but I just don't like it when I feel like waiters suggest a (unanimously-confirmed by our table of 7) lackluster dish, when there are so many other choices that are much better. It just ruins the experience and my trust in the establishment.

Ceviches (Ceviche Limena, Ceviche Clasico, Ceviche Mixto) = Each of them were okay. I've had much better ceviche at other SF restaurants like Fresca and Limon, but La Mar's weren't too bad. The Tuna Ceviche was my least favorite -- it didn't have much of a flavor and the tuna didn't seem fresh.

Empanada Sampler = Pretty damn good empanadas here, albeit a bit pricey at about $11 for two small pieces. I think they were a bit overly fried, but still tasty nonetheless.

Lomo Saltado = The steak was cooked a little too well done, so it lost some of the buttery flavor that Lomo Saltado should have. I also thought that it probably would have been better with less soy sauce.

Tallarin Saltado = Way too much soy sauce -- this dish was extremely salty.

Arroz Jugoso = I'd say this is probably the best dish of the night, although the mussels were a little overcooked. It definitely had a nice flavor though.

--------------------------------------

This review has been really tough to write, because I've heard amazing things about La Mar and I was pretty excited to eat there. Other than the waiter suggesting the Enoki Mushroom Clay Pot, I thought that the service was quite good. The venue is incredible and I'm sure the daytime views would be amazing.

Unfortunately, the food was just disappointing, especially at such steep prices.

• La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

Reserve a table outside on a nice day. Great sitting next to the water. Their food is pretty yummy... Expensive but good.

• La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

My absolute favorite in SF. I am in LOVE with their ceviche and pisco sours. You must try the ceviche sampler and the arroz w/ seafood. You will be in Peruvian heaven!

**PISCO SOUR AND CHIPS AND SALSA**

--Review for the BAR AREA only--

I haven't been here for two years, so it was time for a revisit.

We decided to do the bar scene instead of a sit-down.

We enjoyed the chips and salsa. A variety of eclectic and colorful sauces. I liked the green one the best.

Ordered the PISCO SOUR ($10).

The drink was light, foamy, and delicious.

But not STRONG. Aww, I know.

We sat by the window for great tourist watching on the Embarcadero.

RECOMMEND.

• La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

Great piscos... Do go on their happy hour. I was disappointed on their traditional ceviche... Pricy for the minute serving!

• La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

15/20; Food 7/10, Ambience 4/5, Service 4/5. Peruvian palace on the SF waterfront. Snooty greeting by receptionist quickly forgotten after taking in wonderful revamp of former industrial (warehouse?) building and views onto the water. Mood brightened further by a few of their Peruvian twists on stalwart cocktail recipes. Presentation of food was ok, but all were delights for the tastebuds, led by Tuna Ceviche. Our group tried about half the ceviches on offer and all were unanimously enjoyed. Empanadas also not bad. Mains, from noodles-related to grilled fish, were also quite nice. Nice experience. Recommend.

• La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

I really enjoyed the fresh fish I ate at La Mar, but that was about it. It's a great waterfront location, but the service really was just terrible.

• La Mar Cebicheria PeruanaPro 2014

Ceviche! And other items you may wonder about, but if you possess culinary curiosity, you'll be surprised and rewarded. I often recommend this place, though I do have to say it gets pretty crowded. Good luck if you decide to go without reservations. To their credit, they do try to accommodate. Good for groups.

• La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

La Mar represents Peru and Peruvian food well. Each time eat here for lunch or dinner, it makes me want to sprint up Machu Picchu and yell, "I'm King of the World!"... just kidding.

Seriously though, this restaurant kicks ass. Every dish is solid and prepared well. Every cebiches (Peru's national dish) is tasty. Once I ordered and reorder so much I thought I was in an all-you-eat sushi place.

Empanadas are good to really good with my preference towards the beef and red onions. Skewers are really tasty. For mains, you can't go wrong with any of their fish and seafood dishes, but their asado de tira (short ribs) and lomo saltado (traditional sauteed beef tenderloin) shows their excellence across proteins.

Desserts? Are you kidding me? Just order one of each and go run a marathon the next day and you'll be fine.

• La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

review is for bar area only. they do servce food but i was here for a happy hour two years back. it's a pretty popular place after work any day of the week. they have a nice lounge area with leather chairs and benches inside to the left as well as dedicated bar that serves drinks and/or food. the sangria was quite good. crowded but fun place to unwind.

• La Mar Cebicheria Peruana

If you feel like a gastronomic adventure for the land of the Incas, this is a great choice.

3,076 people visited La Mar Cebicheria Peruana