La Puerta

560 4th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101

• La PuertaAmbassadorPro 2014
    Kat Sun
    3 Jul 12, 2014

This place is alright. My family and I were walking around in the Gaslamp District and a friend had recommended La Puerta, so I recommended that we stop here for dinner. It was a bit late since we weren't hungry during the normal dinner hour.

We came to the hostess and she told us it would be about 30-45 minutes. They ask for your number to text you when the table is ready. We were only about 20 minutes into the wait (we walked down the street), when I got the text! Don't fret if they tell you a long wait time, just walk around the block and the table may be ready sooner than you think.

I have heard the happy hour is awesome, so definitely do that -- half off drinks and apps! The carne asada fries were OK, a bit different from what I was expecting, but I didn't feel it was worth the $12. The Taqueso Pollo tacos threw me for a loop...the meat was wrapped in a cheese shell that was too salty. I really didn't like this...I guess I didn't know what I was getting based on what I read on the menu; my mom told the waitress it wasn't good when she asked how the food was. She explained that the shell around the meat was the cheese. Yeah...we should have just gone with the street tacos. My brother got the Torta La Puerta and thought it was just "meh" as well. His sandwich was a good amount of food though.

In sum, I think we just ordered the wrong items. We should have probably gone with the normal street tacos and maybe a burrito/wet burrito. I have a knack for Mexican food too, so perhaps this just isn't my type of food. It is a good place to come for happy hour and to hang out with friends/drink when you're in the Gaslamp though!

Recommended for:Business TravelersLocal CultureNightlife Lovers
  • La PuertaCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 May 15, 2014

Best happy hour in SD! Half off all appetizers and all drinks! The guacamole and chips and the chicken quesadilla is to die for and the margarita is solid. I liked the skinny margarita bc I like my drinks less sweet. Must visit!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureNightlife Lovers
  • La PuertaPro 2014
    Rudy Grant
    5 Nov 27, 2013

This is a great place to spend happy hour. Plenty of tequila. Good food and a good selection of draft beers. Happy hour offers 1/2 of all alcohol including their aged tequila.

Audra Leigh "SanDiegoCheers.com"
    3 Nov 26, 2013

Ok, so...I've only been here with a drink or two in me. I've tried the carne asada fries and yes, they were delicious. The place was packed with no room for even just two of us. We managed out on the patio and had a fun time people watching along 4th!

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Amanda
    4 Jul 25, 2013

Great drinks, food, n decent prices. Happy hour 4-7pm half off drinks n appetizers! Nice ambiance n spacious.

Maggie Langeness
    5 Jul 22, 2013

La Puerta aka the best bar downtown. This Mexican bar/restaurant has some of the best carne Asada fries and good quality food. The staff is also 100%, they have a dj on Sundays making it the ultimate Sunday Funday place. It can be as crazy as you want though, pretty sure we were the only ones dancing on the tables at 6pm on a Sunday. Would recommend for night out, lunch, or anytime. There will more than likely be a wait for a table.

Erin K
    4 Feb 14, 2013

Healthy? No. Delicious? Absolutely.
    I had the flautitas, which were covered in sauce, cheese, and god knows what else, but they filled me up, which was all I was really asking for. Their chips and salsa are really fresh, and it's easy to screw up salsa, so kudos to them. I didn't have any of the cocktails but they all looked delicious. Not a bad place to check out if you're craving some Mexican food!

Ronda Ussery
    5 Dec 20, 2012

No margarita mix here, hand made margaritas with the best tequila's available. Fresh made to order guacamole and homemade chips. Happy hour all day Sunday.

Cindy Matalucci
    5 Aug 29, 2012

This place is so much fun! Awesome hip vibe, love the leather booths and the tacos are outta this world!!

Recommended for:Trendsters
  • La PuertaPro 2014
    Jenn B
    3 Jul 13, 2012

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR CARNE ASADA FRIES DO NOT GET THEM HERE.

This place is great for happy hour and run-of-the-mill Mexican food. However, too many tourists have their first taste of carne asada fries here and I feel bad for them because they are not that great here. There is a Lolita's in downtown and there is where you need to get your fries. Lolita's makes the best fries in SD! It definitely doesn't look as cool as La Puerta, though.

Emily S

I would like to thank GogoBot for leading me to La Puerta on my recent trip to San Diego. My friend and I were in town for a concert and arrived with plenty of time to spare.

Bonus: It was nearby the concert venue. We head over to La Puerta and found easy FREE metered parking on the streets. There was no wait to get seated and we made it in time for Happy Hour! I didn't order from the Happy Hour Menu... but for happy hour, all their drinks are half off. And the menu items in the box are half off. Thanks to our server BOBBY for helping us with our menu choices... as well as drink choices. The margaritas he recommended were delicious!

I ordered three street tacos from here... all of which were pork but different kinds of pork.

Carnitas (Pork-Avocado Cream-Cilantro-Onion)
    Cochinita (Achiote Pork-Pickled Onion)
    Pastor (Marinated Pork-Pineapple-Avocado Cream-Cilantro-Onion)

I still don't know which of the three was my favorite... but they were all pretty good. My friend ordered the carne asada fries, and I forget what else. The carne asada fries though were pretty big so if you were to order that, be prepared to share it with at least one or two other people. Or, you'll be taking the rest home!

BTW, La Puerta is not one of those authentic Mexican restaurants, and I still have not found a good one in San Diego. It is more of a Yardhouse Bar / Mexican Restaurant hybrid and is a few classes up from Sharkeez or Fred's in Pacific Beach with great service! I would recommend this place.

Sarah Speers

Great atmosphere. Awesome spot for taco Tuesday-$2.00 street tacos which are yum! The guac and chips are quite addicting as well.

Connie Pistilli

Everyone told me that carne asada fries are not to be missed while in San Diego. So of course, I was on a mission to find this artery clogging treat at a place near our hotel in the Gaslamp.

I came across La Puerta and found out they served food until 1am. We jetted out of our hotel and down a couple blocks and placed our order right before the kitchen closed.

We grabbed one of the cush ostrich leather booths - swanky for a bar serving carne asada fries - and our super cool waitress brought us some complimentary chips and salsa. We ordered some yummy margaritas and cucumber mojitos.

The fries came as a huge mound of goodness! Just like nachos but way better! It totally hit the spot at the end of the night!

David C
    4 Oct 28, 2013

Great mexican wrestling themed bar with delicious drinks and good music.

Rose E
    5 Aug 29, 2013

Carne Asada Fries....Cold Beer and great Music!!

Rene Patricio
    4 May 22, 2013

Great late happy hour

Vincent Di Nino
    4 Feb 11, 2013
    Erin Mayo

Great Mexican food downtown, with great margs!

Kenji Yamamoto

excelent place to go, great food and drinks, but the waiter are a bit rude.

Mike D