Langer's Deli

704 S Alvarado St, Los Angeles, CA 90057
Langer's Deli

• Langer's Deli

Had the 19 for lunch. Cleaned my plate... Rye bread, coleslaw and all (and i'm not usually a fan of either rye or coleslaw). The only thing about the bread i could do without is the crust. It was harder than i would've liked. The Pastrami was so tasty and tender. there are so many other things on the menu i want to try and i'm really curious about their breakfast

Service: good; efficient

Parking: parking lot on the side.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
  • Langer's DeliPro 2014

I feel terrible now because I'm in that small bunch who didn't give Langer's a five star, glowing review..

But yes, Langers (#19 to be specific) pastrami sandwich on rye was yummy, definitely worth the short 10 minute wait outside, and maybe even the small quest to find parking (the dedicated lot was full). But not so yummy that it could shut my mouth from questioning the $15 price tag and asking the inevitable "no fries?!". I'm even going to risk the head shaking and criticism from fellow Yelpers by stating it was not the best I ever had. Don't hate me though! I would definitely take out of town friends here because like Pink's, Langer's is one of those LA spots you HAVE to try at least once. Just remember, they close a lot earlier than you would expect, so don't wait it out too long! ( Monday - Saturday close at 4)

oh yeah, while eating, a lady next to me ordered a chocolate coke; a giant question mark appeared above my head and I thought another would appear over the waitress's but nope, I guess its a commonly ordered beverage here. Needless to say, I had to try! I was not disappointed lol.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
  • Langer's Deli

Absolutely the best corn beef and pastrami sandwiches on the best rye bread.
    The rye bread has a heavy crust as the double bake the bread. Can not do this at home unless you have a commercial meat slicer to cut the bread. For all who love deli food, skip the Cantors and the others. All my east coast (where I am originally from) friends love this place.

• Langer's Deli

A Los Angeles institution. Get #19 (perfect combo of the best cole slaw, pastrami and toasted rye) and prepared to be blown away.

• Langer's DeliPro 2014

I know a certain person who will beat me up and strangle me to death for not giving Langer's 5 stars. Okay, so maybe I'm kind of stingy on stars but I really feel like Langer's was pretty darn good but it's more of a 4 star experience.

They have you wait outside on the sidewalk in a makeshift line. After seeing the inside, I can see why they do this. They simply don't have the space for you to hang around and wait. The interior of Langer's looks like it hasn't been changed since day one. It looks like an old style deli. They even have glass cases with cakes inside.

The waitress was really nice and pretty attentive. You have to walk up to the counter to pay though and I didn't feel like they were all that friendly at the counter. The restaurant is really quiet inside even though it was full. I felt oddly like I was in a library or in a patient waiting room and had to watch my voice level. Even the kids were all quiet.

The menu can be confusing because it's pretty much 3 pages of jam packed list of the dishes they offer. The texts are small and there several text boxes. Don't worry. Skip through all the BS and just order #19. I'm sure some other stuff on the menu is pretty good too but who gives a crap. We all know everyone comes for #19.

So what is this #19? It's their thick cut pastrami sandwich on rye with Russian dressing and coleslaw. Let me warn you that their plain pastrami sandwich is about $13 and the #19 will cost you a pretty penny at $15.30 before tax and tip. Is it worth it? Sure. I just wouldn't make this my primary food group or I would be broke pretty fast.

The thick cut pastrami did live up to the hype. It is very unique indeed. The taste and texture of the sandwich is vastly different from that of the typical pastrami sandwich. The meat has a soft yet substantial texture and it has a deeper flavor than the thin slices of pastrami.. The pastrami itself is on the sweeter side. I felt like my sandwich could use a little more saltiness in its combination of flavor but that's nothing a lot of mustard can't fix.

They provide you with both dijon and yellow mustard in a squeeze bottle tableside. I find that the most effective way to maximize your mustard input is to use both kind and squeeze them onto your sandwich in large quantity before each bite.

I tried their chili cheese fries but it was nothing to write home about. I would skip it next time and just stick with the pastrami.

• Langer's DeliPro 2014

I have always been a fan of great pastrami, so when your a fan, its always best to go to the spots that can get the job done with taste and service. Langer's is the place to be.

A few friends and I decided to visit one of the top places that could serve up some delicious pastrami that would not leave us disappointed. We arrived and all of us decided on either the straight up Hot Pastrami with Cole slaw on the side or the number 19 with a share of chili cheese fries. You will not be disappointed with either choice. The smell, the taste, the looks of this delicacy will leave you ready to destroy at first sight. The flavor is amazing as well as the service. This place has curve side service as well, so you can stay in the car and get your order as well. I have tried other pastrami joints such as The Hat, but in the end, you have to give this place a try. You will leave full and ready for another visit.

• Langer's Deli

The things you have heard about this place, it's all very true.
    This pastrami is the best in the universe.

I generally don't associate pastrami as my favorite kind of sandwich meat - it generally tastes a bit processed and often way too salty. But Langers' version of pastrami is slow-cooked and thick, seems as if it was braised. You'll see that the pastrami literally falls apart (oh em gee).

#19, russian dressing, coleslaw, tender pastrami = DONE DEAL

• Langer's Deli

I finally tried it since I saw a comment that was made by Suzanne Tracht on Foursquare (by Bravo) "Try #19. The pastrami is unbelievable!" And yes. It was indeed good.

When I first walked in... I wasn't greeted the way I wanted to be greeted into a restaurant... (getting seated by hostess) But I realized later it was the cashier in the front of the restaurant that sucks!!! But the rest of the staff is awesome at best!

Since I wasn't seated right away, the hostess did his very best to get my service by taking my order himself awwww :) I got my #19 Pastrami on Rye Bread in less than 5 min! WOW.

It's a bit pricey... but all the Pastrami places I have been to (Canter's Deli around midwhilshire, LA and katz deli in NYC) are around $12-$16 a sandwich and the portion is HUGE. I had to take half the sandwich to go, but my fata** ate the other half of the sandwich 15 min later lol

• Langer's Deli

Langer's Deli is one of the best pastrami sandwiches I've had. It's not the super thin cut stringy pastrami you'll find at other places. It's the NY Deli style, meaty pastrami. Although it's a little pricey, the sandwiches are decently large so you won't be disappointed.

I'd recommend only coming to Langer's during the day time since it's not in the best neighborhood of LA. Also expect to wait ... there's a reason why they have a roped off section outside of the restaurant ... it's not just there to make it look like a hipster club.

• Langer's Deli

To die for pastrami on rye with mustard. The owners are jerks but don't let that stop you from the incredible food

• Langer's Deli

Pastrami, Russian dressing, cole slaw on rye bread, was perfect. :)

1,714 people visited Langer's Deli