Layang Layang

1480 S De Anza Blvd, San Jose, CA 95129

• Layang LayangAmbassadorPro 2014
    Stanley Chan
    5 Nov 09, 2013

Excellent Malaysian cuisine with bold and spicy flavors that will satisfy your appetite!

Like her sister restaurant in Milpitas, Layang Layang is in a class of its own in Cupertino. Located on De Anza Blvd on a tiny little "house", you can easily miss it or dismiss it upon driving by. Once you enter, though, it's a whole new world. What looked like a small establishment is larger and deeper than you think, as the restaurant stretches back with a cozy an warm interior. The food was wonderful - their curry is excellent and the portions are generous. The sea bass was delicious and the presentation gave it another thumbs up. Make sure you order some Malaysian Ice Tea along the way. The sweetness is a great counter-addition to the spices in the food. Highly recommended!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFoodiesNightlife LoversStudents
    JohnMichael

I go where I'm told and this is where I find myself.

And I was told to go here. You know those people who think they are all that and a bag of potato chips... world peace personified and all that. Well those people tend to be impatient and demanding, because I was on my way here and after all the traffic and what not, I got their to find that the food was already ordered. I suppose I can't complain since I wouldnt have known what to order anyways. Ultimately I had lunch here and well... it was good but I think some of it is a touch... specific when it comes to tastes. I of course loved the roti. Which is by far alright with me. I can't complain.

On another note, this branch is right next to the Tofu house in that shopping center where Kinkos is located at.
    ;D

4 Feb 23, 2013
  • Layang LayangPro 2014
    gummy boots
    3 Mar 23, 2014

So I'm from this part of the world and am very familiar with the food. So far, I have to say that this is one of the more authentic representations of Malaysian food in the Bay area. I like it that the chefs are from Cameron Highlands (they know how to stir fry the veges) Portions are American sized so come hungry or come in a group. Roti Canai was decent, Chicken rice was not up to scratch. Will be trying the fish head curry soon...will update as I eat my way through the menu.

Recommended for:FoodiesStudents
  • Layang LayangPro 2014
    Verlisia
    4 Nov 06, 2013

My food nazi friend recommended this place and I know it couldn't be bad.

Roti Canai (4/5 Stars) - Decent but I have had better ones at other places. If you prefer your roti very crispy you probably won't like this dish here. The one from Penang Garden in Milpitas are usually half chewy and half crispy and is slightly better in my opinion.

Bak Kut Teh - I took a sip from my friend's soup and it is very unique. Almost like drinking some sort of Chinese herbal medicine. I think it is an acquired taste.

Papaya Salad (3/5 Stars) - Your typical shredded carrots and radish with sweet and sour sauce. Nothing to rave home about.

Singapore Mee Hon (4/5 Stars) - I like this noodle dish. The rice noodle is soft but chewy. Dangerously tasty.

Mo Mo Cha Cha (3.5/5 Stars) - This is one of my all-time favorite Asian dessert. I just love sweet potato and taro. It could be better if the soup is thicker (by cooking the taro and sweet potato a bit longer so they became very very mushy).

Will definitely come back again.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily Travelers

460 people visited Layang Layang

Moderate

11am-3pm and 5pm-9:30pm Tue-Fri; 11am-10pm Sat; 11am-9:30pm Sun.

• website: