Left Bank Brasserie Santana Row

1,548 people visited Left Bank Brasserie Santana Row

Spiritual Seekers

Owie
    3 Mar 26, 2014

There is a lot of mixed reviews for this restaurant. I personally had a good experience here. I think their service was excellent since they come back every ten minutes or so to check up on us.

I thought their food was good and the price was reasonable compared to many restaurants at Santana Row. I will definitely come back on a weekday when it is less crowded.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Karen Le
    2 Jun 21, 2013

I was not impressed with this place at all. I'm giving it two stars because I liked the staff, but did not like the food. My relatives that I visit in France cook way better than this place. The food here is too plain and bland. I felt it was very generic. I took my parents here for their birthdays and they weren't impressed either. They lived in France for 20 years so they felt the French dishes were too Americanized. The food was way over priced as well. If the quality of the food was better, I wouldn't mind paying so much.

Netta Denes Drimer
    5 Jun 04, 2013

The beef tartar is AMAZING and the nicoise salad is probably the best I ever had. A great place to sit outside on a sunny day.

Kim Dao
    3 May 22, 2013

It's a very charming spot, I've never come here for a full blown meal but it offers many excellent unique things, especially for being in San Jose. They have the best French fries, no joke. Their French 75 is amazing, no joke. And the décor always transports me back to France whenever I'm there. I'm not kidding about the fries, by the way - they were voted Best in the Metro a few years back!

Olivier Pasco
    3 Oct 29, 2012

Left Bank is trying to be a typical French brasserie and does put some efforts to it Nice terrace with Parisian style table and some typical brasserie items in the menu. The tartare is typically not an appetizer in France. The cheese fondue neither, and the kind they serve is very unusual. But they have some Magret de Canard, which I have't seen that often in the US. It was a little over-cooked but still pretty good.

Connie Pistilli
    4 Sep 11, 2012

Left Bank seems to be hit or miss for quite a few people, but fortunately for me, the food and service have always been très bon.

Of all the bars on Santana Row, LB makes some of my favorite cocktails, so you'll typically find me at the bar for some after-work drinks. Love their French 75s. The bar area is pretty spacious, as is their main dining area, but I prefer either hanging out at the bar (where they'll play the big game on tv) or sitting at a table out on the walkway. It's a great spot for people watching, and is always nice when the weather's warm out.

Most importantly, the servers don't judge you if you just want to share an entree. Well, at least ours was understanding that we were on a strict no-carb diet in preparation for an upcoming LA Fashion Week trip. The salmon entree was delicious - so fluffy and moist with crispy skin - and split onto two plates for us which was a nice touch. I've also had pastas (when not on a gotta-look-fab-in-a-new-dress diet), which were also very tasty.

Eric Brink
    4 Aug 09, 2012

Gayle and I were down in San Jose yesterday for her 40th High School Reunion (Leland High School Class of 1972). Gayle actually graduated when she was 16, so we are just a tad younger than her classmates.

After the "Mingle! - Now Get in Groups of 4!" exercise and walking around the Gym (Home of the Chargers), Gayle was ready to play hooky and bag the rest of the event. I suggested that we drive over to Santana Row for a drink and an early dinner. There were probably closer and classier places, but I also had a trip to my favourite stationary store (Maido) in mind.

After being herded into a very busy Parking Lot, Gayle and I walked up the stairs and immediately spotted Left Bank on the Right Side. I like Left Bank and still fondly remember the first kiss that Gayle and I shared at the former Pleasant Hill Location. We put our name in and waited patiently for an outside table that unfortunately was on the side and not up front where the Santana Row pedestrian traffic was happening. Next time we'll be a little clearer on this point.

Once the somewhat hinky greeting and seating service was sorted, the Table service was pleasant and efficient. The only exception to that was perhaps the longish time it took Gayle to receive her Bombay Sapphire Martini. I had an excellent burger with blue cheese and frits, all washed down with a wonderful Green Flash IPA. Gayle equally enjoyed her Salade Nicoise and a good number of my frits.

Best of all, we had a chance to relax, talk, and otherwise have a date. That's sometimes hard with 2 busy working professionals, and with one (me) just coming back from Iceland. I know Gayle felt a little guilty about leaving the High School reunion early, but with my lovely Bride at the table with me, I wasn't complaining.

JohnMichael
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts

I have been here a couple times and I like the food and the ambiance. I think it goes well together. I like the mussels. Actually, now that I think about it the place reminded me of my time in Paris....I'm nostalgic that way. The service I can't really complain since I wasn't in a rush. The wine selection wasn't half bad. Actually what ever the waitress suggested was actually pretty good. I like wine. ;D

Verlisia
    3 Jul 04, 2012

Left Bank claimed to be an authentic Parisian-style Brasserie but I consider it to be more on the Americanized side. The price/quality ratio is comparable to other restaurants in Santana Row location.

Their dishes were hit and miss. Escargots were alright. Certainly far from the best I have had but still tasty. Steak Tartare was lacking some flavor. Where's the signature strong mustard taste? Cheese fondue was very delicious. It was actually better than many fondue restaurants.

As far as entree goes..... Brasserie Steak.... don't bother, seriously. It was so unbelievable chewy. Lamb shank and duck two-way were good. I love game meats so my opinion are totally biased. Ahi Tuna (yup I have ordered seared Ahi Tuna in a French restaurant) was pretty good I have to admit. Although it's rather hard to go wrong with a simple dish like this.

My overall experience with this restaurant had been good. It's actually rather easy to get a table here even without reservation. This place is huge and they have tons of seats. What makes it even better is that they open late (until 11pm Tues-Sat) and serve Brunch on weekends. Their special occasion Prix Fixe menus are pretty good value as well.

Eunice