Going to New Zealand
Who's on this trip?
Trip Plan Details
commented on this trip
Why aren't you going to Queenstown and the south island? I have been to both south and north islands and the South island is so much more beautiful. Queenstown is my favorite place in all of New Zealand.
- Voyager New Zealand Maritime MuseumCorner Quay and Hobson Streets, Auckland, AUK 1140 New Zealandrecommended Voyager New Zealand Maritime MuseumThe New Zealand National Maritime Museum has an extensive collection of Polynesian sea vessels. Considering the Polynesian people traditionally and impressively traveled by small boats (like the one ... read morein my picture) large distances between the pacific islands this museum holds great significance to the most recent indigenous culture of New Zealand. Normally a maritime museum might not excite me but in this case it was really significant to understanding the Pacific peoples.Yogic Traveler
One of the best things I visited in Auckland
- Cable Car280 Lambton Quay, Wellington, WGN 6001 New Zealand
- World of Wearable Art95 Quarantine Road, Annesbrook 7011, New Zealandrecommended World of Wearable ArtTruly unique and one of a kind experience. It may be a bit out of the way for many visiting New Zealand but if you can make it out there it does make for a fun day! When I was there the exhibit had to ... read moreparts... one section was vintage cars which was interesting and the other was their wearable art collection. Their wearable art competition draws entries from artists around the world! As really the global authority on wearable art their collection is unique and impressive!Yogic Traveler
- Te Papa Tongarewa55 Cable Street, Wellington, WGN 6011 New Zealand
commented on this trip
So you're planning a road trip. Wellington to Auckland should be fairly easy. I flew between the cities during my time there but I bet it would be a great drive. Driving between Christchurch and Auckland might be tricky/expensive because you'll have to either switch cars when you switch islands or take it across on the ferry. That being said the South Island is really worth seeing! The South Island is really the place people recommend renting a car.
What I did was I visited Auckland and Wellington by flying between them then I took the ferry to the South Island where I rented a car to drive around there. It worked well for me and might be something to consider.
recommended AucklandMost of the population of New Zealand live in and around the city of Auckland but New Zealand is not known for its cities. I spent about a week in Auckland total on three different stops. It's a cute ... read morelittle city to spend a day or two in but I wouldn't concentrate a trip to NZ in the city.Yogic Traveler
I wouldn't recommend spending much time in Auckland. Enjoy the rest of the islands don't save up time to spend here.
recommended South IslandI have to say it is unlike anything I've ever seen before. There is something incredibly majestic about the south island's mostly untouched natural beauty. It really is magical! I can see why they use ... read moreit in films to depict places that are other worldly.
recommended WellingtonNothing like your average capital city full of big government buildings. Wellington is beautiful and lively! Even from the little time I spent there I could tell Wellington is somewhere I would love ... read moreto live! The only exception for me was that it was chilly there even in summer. But still I really loved the vibe! Wellington is definitely one of my favorite cities!Yogic Traveler
Really loved this city!
commented on this trip
We had a great two trip on the South Island. Rented a car and started in ChristChurch. Drove to Dunedin for a couple of days, down to Invercargill (did some dolphin and penguin watching there), then up to Queenstown for all the standard high adventure stuff plus some fun partying, then across for a couple of huts on the Routeburn Track and then finally up to a B&B near the Fox Glacier and a helicopter tour and climbing trip on the glacier.
recommended Waiheke IslandRolling hills covered in giant ferns and undulating vineyards, surrounded by crystal waters of the bay. This place is worthy of a honeymoon. Super fresh, quality foods, and great wines at every single ... read moreplace I went.
- Sky TowerAuckland, New Zealand
- Waterfront WalkwayQueens Wharf, Wellington, WGN 6001 New Zealand
- Botanic Gardens101 Glenmore Street, Wellington, WGN 6012 New Zealand
- Lake Taupo-38° 47' 2.63", +175° 58' 14.75"
- Waimangu Volcanic Valley587 Waimangu Road, Rotorua 3043, New Zealand
- Wai-o-Tapu Thermal WonderlandWai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland, 201 Waiotapu Loop Rd, Rotorua 3201, New Zealand
- Abel Tasman National ParkAbel Tasman National Park, c/o NZ Post, Takaka 7183, New Zealand
- Dive KaikouraKaikoura, New Zealand
- Encounter Kaikoura96 Esplanade, Kaikoura, CAN 8080 New Zealand
- RotoruaRotorua, New Zealand
- Whale Watch KaikouraRailway Station Road, Christchurch, CAN 8280 New Zealand
- Hanmer Springs ToursHanmer Springs, Christchurch, CAN 8001 New Zealand