Trip Plan Details
- Mount John University ObservatoryGodley Peaks Rd, Lake Tekapo, New Zealandrecommended Mount John University ObservatoryThis is supposed to be the southernmost astronomical observatory in the world. It is possible to drive to the observatory, the trails up and down are nice enough to second-guess that option. There is ... read morea small cafe associated with the observatory, out of which are some nice views of the lake.Recommended for:
recommended Lake TekapoThe lake itself, though it can be quite cold, can support a number of water activities. The color can be quite amazing at times.Recommended for:
recommended Mount Cook Village (Aoraki)The views can be spectacular. There are relatively few places to get food within the village and it is somewhat of a long drive out, so bringing food with you is recommended.Recommended for:
- RouteburnNew Zealandrecommended RouteburnThis relatively short trek does offer some astounding views. For the most part, it is a relatively easy trek, but for some reason there were very large bags of crushed stone along the path, of which ... read moreclimbing over several of them was somewhat harrowing because of the narrowness of the path.Recommended for:John Ewalt
This does take 2 (if rushing somewhat) or 3 days (more ambling) to complete, but the views can be worth it. A strong hiker may be able to complete it in a day if he/she starts at dawn and does not stop, but that would mostly defeat the purpose.
recommended South IslandAlmost the entire island seems like a landscape photographer's paradise. Public transport around the island is possible, so personal transport is not strictly necessary if one wants to explore the ... read moreisland.Recommended for:recommended South IslandI have to say it is unlike anything I've ever seen before. There is something incredibly majestic about the south island's mostly untouched natural beauty. It really is magical! I can see why they use ... read moreit in films to depict places that are other worldly.
- TranzAlpine ExperienceDeparture locations vary, Christchurch, CAN New Zealandrecommended TranzAlpine ExperienceI took the train from Christchurch to Greymouth, though it is possible to get off at other stops before this. The trip is expensive, but the scenery is amazing. The train does have several cars that ... read moreare open air for people who want to photograph the trip without an intervening window.Recommended for:
recommended Fox GlacierThis glacier is within relatively easy reach of the town of the same name. Even in the summer, the ice found there is spectacular. One does have to go up a trail a ways before actually getting to the ... read moreice. Definitely worth a visit if exploring the south island.Recommended for:
- Sky TowerAuckland, New Zealandrecommended Sky TowerPristine view of Auckland and surrounds. Take the elevator up and your camera. This I believe is the tallest structure in all of Auckland so you'll see everything and beyond.Recommended for:Albert Qian
Good view + Casino in the building as well. In Auckland CBD.
- Hobbiton Movie Set and Farm Tours501 Buckland Road, Matamata, New Zealandrecommended Hobbiton Movie Set and Farm ToursThe drive here is fairly long - 2 hours or so from Auckland by auto. You pay 75 NZD for entrance and that gets you a 1.5 hour tour plus a complimentary drink at the pub at the end. It's a pretty cool ... read morelittle place to come, and amazing to note that this is where the movie came out of. Don't miss this if you are a LOTR fan.Recommended for:Albert Qian
Good place and good drive over too!
- The Weta Cave1 Weka Street, Miramar, Wellington 6022, New Zealand
- Te Papa Tongarewa55 Cable Street, Wellington, WGN 6011 New Zealand
recommended WellingtonNothing like your average capital city full of big government buildings. Wellington is beautiful and lively! Even from the little time I spent there I could tell Wellington is somewhere I would love ... read moreto live! The only exception for me was that it was chilly there even in summer. But still I really loved the vibe! Wellington is definitely one of my favorite cities!
- Waitangi Treaty Grounds1 Tau Henare Dr, Waitangi, Paihia, Bay of Islands
- Te Whau Vineyard218 Te Whau Drive, Omiha 1971, New Zealand
recommended Bay of IslandsA very cool part of the NZ coastline, dotted with little towns offering accommodation and delicious food. Take hikes around the surrounding forest, catch a boat around the islands, or stay in the bars ... read moreenjoying the views.
- Moeraki BouldersMoeraki Boulders Rd, Hampden 9482, New Zealand
- Skyline GondolaBrecon Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
- Piha BeachPiha Road, Auckland, AUK New Zealand
- Auckland Harbour BridgeWesthaven Drive, Auckland, AUK 1010 New Zealand
- Botanic Gardens101 Glenmore Street, Wellington, WGN 6012 New Zealand
- Mission BayTamaki Drive, Auckland, AUK 1071 New Zealand
- Kawarau Bridge Bungy - AJ Hackett BungyRapid #1693, State Highway 6, Gibbston Valley New Zealand
- Lake TekapoLake Tekapo 7999, New Zealand
- Abel Tasman National ParkAbel Tasman National Park, c/o NZ Post, Takaka 7183, New Zealand
- Mount Eden250 Mount Eden Road, Auckland, AUK 1024 New Zealand