- Rila MonasterySofia, komplex "Iavorov" block 67, Sofia, Bulgariarecommended Rila MonasteryTucked into a hidden valley the elegant architecture of the monastery provides a great contrast to the rugged landscape that surrounds it. I especially liked the murals depicting sinners in hell and ... read morethe beautifully painted exterior walls and arches. The monastery is about 2 hours outside of Sofia, depending on traffic. It can also be reached by bus.
- Boyana ChurchSofia Bulgariarecommended Boyana ChurchThe Boyana Church is a precious small two-storey building, lovely on the outside and simply stupendous inside. A UNESCO World Heritage site since 1979, it's initial construction was in the 10th ... read morecentury. The interior religious frescoes, first painted in the 11th century, are as compelling as those painted by Giotto. Washed with decay, abuse, and restoration, they tell a story of belief, and challenge. The layers of frescoes span the centuries. Of the 89 scenes, fhe most famous are the murals from 1259, which include "The Miracle at Sea" with a floundering ship, stressed sailors, and fabulous swirls depicting the boiling waters. Our tour guide was a focused and charismatic fellow who conjured the mystical powers of the sacred space for our small group. He was compelling, though some in the group thought he was a bit creepy. I think he's a great showman, kind of like the Wizard of Oz. Take advantage of his knowledge. Ask him anything and he'll give you the answer in excellent English.
- St. George Hotel64, Knyaz Boris I Str.recommended St. George HotelThis small hotel is located in a charming older building, recently renovated. It has about 20 rooms, including some non-smoking rooms, free wifi, as is just 3 minutes on foot from the National Palace ... read moreof Culture. The room I had was very comfortable and plush compared to some of the other rooms I'd stayed in in Bulgaria. I regretted that I had only one night to spend there. There are lots of restaurants and even galleries nearby. The desk staff spoke perfect English and was very professional and helpful. I'd book again.
- Restaurant Aubergineul Karnegi, 11recommended Restaurant AubergineAubergine is in a lovely renovated home, an easy walk from the National Palace of Culture. It's a warm place and a welcome contrast from the open public spaces nearby. The menu was full of ... read morewell-prepared Bulgarian classics, the wine list was excellent, and service attentive and friendly. This is a new restaurant and I hope it does well. I think with the great food, service, and location, it should thrive.
- Hilton SofiaBoulevard "Ruski", Sofia, Bulgariarecommended Hilton SofiaGreat location, very nice room and friendly staff. They will even pick you up at the airport for free if you are at gold status with Hilton. The location is at the edge of the main area of Sofia but ... read morean easy walk to most everything. There is also a modern mall just behind the hotel.Leigh Virkus
We enjoyed our stay here even though it is on the fringe of the downtown area. Just walking around Sofia is a great way to see the city. They have a great breakfast if you can get it included in the price.