Marukame Udon

2310 Kuhio Ave Honolulu, HI 96815

Mel S Wong
    4 May 06, 2014

Popular udon chain and quality manages to be consistent, Marukami Udon has quick turn over so the wait really not as bad as it looks.

• Marukame UdonCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Apr 13, 2014

Wow I can see why there is always a huge line outside. I tried it for myself today and it's a cafeteria style udon restaurant. I recommend the beef udon with an egg on top. The soup base was delicious and the udon cooked to perfection. Don't be intimated by the line as it goes fairly quickly. I waited probably around 20 minute at 8:30pm on a Saturday night. I can't wait to go back!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureFamily TravelersStudents
    Emily S
    4 Mar 10, 2014

I'm not a big udon kind of person but the noodles here were great.

We weren't able to eat here the first time we walked by. The lines were ridiculous.

We came back another day for lunch and the line wasn't as bad. I ordered the ontama udon since it came with a soft boiled egg. In addition to that, I got a ton of other side dishes that they already had laid out.

The noodles are cheap but if you don't watch what side dishes you get it, then the prices may go up!

The noodles here were great! I even had fun watching the guy making the noodles after we finished eating. There were a lot of noodles so you do get pretty full.

Would definitely come back!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Phung Nguyen
    5 Jan 09, 2014

Best bang for your buck... If you love udon, definitely have to give this a try. Also, go to Costco for the poke. They have variety and its priced decently. Also, buy chocolates there too.

May W
    3 Jun 25, 2014

My rating is a bit low bc the evening I came here, they were only serving one type of udon. It was New Year's Eve so they made a special menu where everyone got the same thing. The only difference was that you could add as many toppings as possible. Well, the only problem was that I wanted extra shrimp tempura (the special came with one), but they were all out. Luckily one of the chefs heard is and quickly gave us some tempura from the new batch. It was definitely kind of chaotic the night I went, but the people working there were all nice.

I liked the broth. It was not too salty and was at a good temperature. I know udon isn't exactly the easiest thing to eat or the best kind of noodles to soak up broth, but I really think of udon as comfort food. The udon here really hit the spot and made me feel less lonely being away from my family.

I didn't really like the tempura mochi balls. It had good chewy texture, but I would rather have tempura sweet potato or something. The shrimp was good. I also could have used an egg or two in my udon. Again, the night I went was a bad night so I can't say how good the other items are.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodies
    Gogo Dave Dubya
    3 Dec 31, 2013

No frills. Simply good udon at unbelievably good prices (as long as you don't go overboard on the side dishes and add ons). Modern architecture inside, if a little industrial.. But hey, it's in downtown. There's usually a line, but not nearly as long a wait as the Waikiki location

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesBusiness TravelersTrendsters
  • Marukame UdonCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane
    5 Dec 20, 2013

So this place lives up to the hype and lines for its flavor. The udon, made in house, is spectacular. The tempura items are fresh and very tasty, and they cost an additional $1.50-1.75 each (about). Service is hasty and somewhat gruff, though the cashier was very friendly. It's cafeteria style, so expect noise, warmth and commotion. This is a great place for an authentic and cheap meal. The seating setup makes it better for groups up to four people, and most of their seats are for couples.

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendstersBudget TravelersBackpackers
    Sara Benson
    5 Jun 25, 2014

Absolutely killer spot for freshly made udon noodles in the heart of touristy Waikiki. Grab a tray and order cafeteria-style. Don't forget to pick up some of the giant-sized tempura (yum, Japanese-style onion rings). Bonus: it's open late.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesStudents
    John Bumgarner
    4 Jun 25, 2014

The line is very long but moves quickly at lunch time. Sneak in at 2:00 and you walk right to the counter. The cold noodles are very refreshing and I recommend adding the egg. Don't forget the amazing a la carte tempura; my favorite is the pumpkin.

Malia Yoshioka
    5 Jun 25, 2014

Cheap, fast and delicious! There's always a line outside of Marukame Udon in Waikiki but it moves quickly and it's worth the wait. Hand cut udon noodles in a handful of styles are available to choose from, then select your tempura items or musubi and enjoy!

• Marukame UdonCommunity ManagerPro 2014
    Yen Phan
    5 Jun 25, 2014

I gave this a 2nd chance really enjoyed it much better than the first time. The lines move pretty quickly as well as for seats. The menu is pretty simple, fresh made udon with a few broth and topping choices, then next area to get your tempura varieties of shrimp and veggies, and lastly musubis if you choose. My meal came out to be $7.50 for udon with meat topping and 3 tempuras. Hard to believe you can get fresh food, quick service, and great meal for that price in Waikiki!

Juney Ham
    4 Jun 25, 2014

You generally have to wait in a long line no matter what time of the day you're looking to go, but the line moves fast.

You order cafeteria-style, and you get your noodles in a few minutes.

You then have the excruciating choice of which musubi, onigiri or tempura to get in addition to your noodles. I think I got like five additional items. Yes, I'm a fatty.

Jenn B
    5 Jun 25, 2014

I'm not Japanese and I don't eat freshly made udon very often, but my group enjoyed this place so much that we ate here twice in three days. Yes, there will be a line, but it will move quickly. We waited about 15-20 minutes when we arrived at 7:30 on a Thursday, but our wait was only 5 minutes at 5:30 on Saturday. I ordered the kamaage udon both times, as the menu indicated that it was the recommended item. It is warm udon noodles served with a dipping sauce of dashi, soy sauce, ginger, sesame, and green onions. After your noodles are placed on your cafeteria tray, you can choose from a variety of tempuras, which are individually priced. I tried the shrimp, egg, mushroom and chicken tempuras. All was washed down with iced unsweetened green tea, and this dinner for two cost under $20 both times. Cheap, filling, and delicious.

Jin Yoo-Kim
    5 Jun 25, 2014

this udon place is self serf cafeteria style. pretty cheap, delicious, and so good. you can get tempura and everything else. totally legit.

Brian Ko
    4 Jun 25, 2014

The lines here can get pretty long but for good reason. It is setup cafeteria style where you go down the line and choose what you want. Everything is made there and you can see them making it right behind the counter. You can choose your udon style and all the different sides you want and pay at the end. It's delicious and the choices in front of you make you salivate for more.

Lorna
    5 Jun 25, 2014

Living in Japan in my younger years, I learned to love and enjoy different styles of noodles. This particular place reminded me of a place we frequently visited in Okinawa.

Not only its cheap food but very delish! You can have your meal here for under ten bucks.

Von M

I made a point of trying this place on my visit and for the most part it didn't disappoint. There was a line at 8pm but it moved quickly. Staff was friendly and the tempura shrimp was delish with the kake udon. The fried chicken was a too heavily battered and greasy for my taste.

I'll be standing in this line again before I leave for home. It was a good value.

Tomoaki Eto
    1 Jul 05, 2012

クヒオ通にオープンした「丸亀うどん」は大行列。これはブレークするぞ。

Ben
    5 Jun 25, 2014

I am a huge fan of Hawaii's high quality take on ramen, and the thick noodles served at Marukame Udon are now my favorite in the state. Opened just recently, there is always a line stretching way out the door here. It was very interesting to watch the chefs here prepare the noodles from scratch in plain view, starting with a huge lump of dough and progressing through a series of steps before it's bowled-up. They have a number of different varieties to choose from, all of which I imagine are delicious after trying my selection. You can choose to add additional veggies and even fried chicken to your meal, but be warned, the noodles are actually very filling in themselves. It was pretty busy when I went, but we had no trouble finding a table, although there was a strange shortage of ramen spoons. The prices are actually pretty cheap, especially if you just get a bowl of Udon without any additions. As far as dining in Waikiki is concerned, this establishment is easily up there in my top five, and I can't wait to go back!

Lydia Yip

Fresh udon!!! So good!!!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBackpackersBudget TravelersFamily Travelers

1,083 people visited Marukame Udon

This new addition to the eclectic collection of restaurants in Waikiki is quickly becoming one of the more popular places in the area to enjoy Udon. They specialize in preparing the thick noodled variety of this staple of Japanese cuisine, and offer what are indeed some of the most delicious such noodles in the entire city. If you head over around dinner time be prepared to wait in a line that ... read more
stretches far outside the door. Once inside, you will get a first hand look at how they freshly prepare the noodles here, a spectacle that itself is worth the non-existent price of admission. Choose what size and combination of flavors and meats you want, and proceed along the assembly line like progression to an area to choose individual additions, such as tempura and musubis. The dining area can be a bit crowded, but the attendants keep the newly vacated tables clean to ensure a steady flow. For an unique meal that is deceptively filling, head over to Marukame Udon.

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani