Matsumoto Shave Ice

66-087 Kamehameha Highway, Haleiwa, HI

2,573 people visited Matsumoto Shave Ice

hangry_cho
    5 Mar 31, 2014

I'm not sure why people say Matsumoto's isn't worth the hype. Maybe it's because the lines are said to be extremely long? But after hearing all the mediocre reviews, I was expecting something really crappy. Honestly out of all the shave ice spots I tried on this trip, they were my absolute favorite! The flavors weren't overpowering and I definitely had to order it with the works (Ice cream, red bean, and condensed milk)! I could do without the red bean, but overall I really enjoyed it!

Would you believe it if I told you It took me 11 years to finally get here? My 1st Hawaii trip was with my family back in 2000 when we visited Maui. So of course I was on the wrong island. I came back 4 years later with friends, but we didn't have a car to get to the North Shore (major bummer). Last year I went to Maui again, so it wasn't until this year (11 years later!!) that I finally got to try Matsumotos!!! Defintely glad I made it. It's one of those spots you just HAVE TO TRY...regardless of the experience.

TIP: THEY TAKE CREDIT CARD!! WHOOHOO!!! And its CHEAPER than most shaved ice joints in Waikiki.
    (ps. How can you not love that adorable cartoon sumo wrestler with the shaved ice in his hands?!)

TIP2: A lot of locals also like Aoki's down the street. Sadly I was too full to shove another shaved ice down my face. :(

JJ
    4 Jan 29, 2014

Tons of different flavors. A long line that only takes a few minutes but shows its popularity. Finding parking was tough with only a few spots on the street.

Emily S
    4 Jan 22, 2014

Of course you gotta come here when you're in Hawaii! The line here is a lot longer than the store next door. If I'm back, I'll try the other store to compare... But if you haven't been here before, I'd recommend you try this place first! :)

When we got here the line wasn't too bad. There were about twenty people ahead of us. It had started raining so most of us were standing in line in the rain. It was fun!

When we got to the line we ordered our shave ice and took it to our car to eat. The shave ice was good!!! Although, I'm not sure what makes this place special compared to other stores.

It's messy, but if you pay extra you can buy one of their plastic cone holders. It makes it more study.

I like this place!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    George R
    5 Nov 09, 2013

Local and tourist favorite - shave ice! This is one of many fine places to enjoy this cool treat on a hot day!

Recommended for:Family TravelersLocal Culture
    Scott Kennedy
    5 Oct 21, 2013

On a hot day on The North Shore nothing is a better cool down than a shave ice. So much more than 'just a snowcone' this is an essential Hawaiian experience. Don't be put off by the line, it's popular for a reason and well worth the wait.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Sara Benson
    4 Oct 20, 2013

If you're driving up to the North Shore for surf & sun, stop off at this little wooden grocery store. The family here has been dishing up syrupy sweet cones of rainbow-colored shave ice (with ice cream and adzuki beans, if you like) since the 1950s. Dirt cheap, and oh so good. Tip: It's also a great place to buy a souvenir T-shirt, as Matsumoto's has dozens of cool designs, including a wave that looks like a Japanese woodblock print.

Recommended for:BackpackersBudget TravelersFamily Travelers
    Connie Pistilli
    4 Jul 30, 2013

If you're in the North Shore, a stop at Matsumoto for some of the best shave ice on the island is an absolute must! Get your ice with ice cream and azuki beans... mmm, it's the perfect icy treat!

There are really cute branded t-shirts to buy there and other Hawaiian souvenirs as well.

Definitely has that old mom n pop market feel to it!

Nomadic by Nature
    4 Apr 02, 2013

The staple shop in Haleiwa, it has had a line outside of it since I was a child. The signature product is the rainbow shave ice.

• Matsumoto Shave IceCommunity ManagerPro 2014
    Yen Phan @GogobotOahu
    3 Apr 01, 2013

I will say their shave ice was "ok". I actually got food poisoning eating their shave ice. I wasn't sure if it was because it was the end of the day near closing, that their products were sitting out too long or not fresh by then? Within 20 mins of eating the shave ice with azuki beans and ice cream, my stomach was churning. I know everyone raves and loves this place, but I think it's a bit overrated. It's one of few shave ice shops on the North Shore, so maybe it's become such a tourist thing to try. Waiola and Shimazu still tops my list of shave ice on the island.

Ericayvette
    4 Mar 29, 2013

Definitely a place to stop while touring the North Side of the Island. A little mom and pop shop that serves the best Hawaiian shaved ice! Plenty of flavors but i suggest just sticking to two

Description:

Maybe it's Hawaii's uniquely delicious (and flouride free) water, or maybe it's just the constant heat, but having shave ice around the Aloha State is one of the most refreshing treats you can enjoy. Matsumoto Shave Ice on the north shore is one quality place to find these exceptionally delicious simple treats. After one bite you will instantly recognize that this ain't your mainland shave ice. Adorned with a rainbow of tropical flavorings, shave ice is one of the best ways to beat the heat in Hawaii, and is a huge hit among the young and the young at heart. Don't leave the islands without trying one for yourself.