Melbourne Travel Guide

Finders Street Railway Station

• Melbourne

Melbourne is the only city in the world that tram still operates making up a large portion of the Melbourne public transport system.

Most Melbourne tram routes go to or from the city, but there are also services that journey across the inner southern and inner eastern suburbs.

The City Circle tram is a free tourist service that operates around the Melbourne CBD. and it runs between 10am and 6pm every day except Christmas Day and Good Friday. It departs every 12 minutes, from a number of stops around the CBD perimeter, and takes in many of the sights and landmarks of this beautiful city.

Some of these amazing landmarks include: Fitzroy Gardens (Captain Cook's Cottage), Princess Theatre, Federation Square, the Melbourne Aquarium, St. Paul's and St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Shrine of Remembrance, the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Queen Victoria Markets, Telstra Dome and Docklands. If you have enough time, it's well worth investing a whole day exploring these places. Because the City Circle tram is free, you can hop on and off at any of the stops along this route.

• Melbourne

Food was not all that great but I did get to see the Little Penguin at Kilda Beach. SOOOOOO cute. That alone made the trip worth it. Wish I dove with them. Probably would have pecked me to death, lol.

• Melbourne

I been in Melbourne two months (June and July 2012) and it was a incredible experience, it was the first time I travell as far and i was a little bit nervous because I only knew from australia the things you read or you see on tv, which makes you want to go there, good weather, never-ending beaches, betaifull people, and its incredible but all that things are real, in the two months I've been there the weather was perfect, and I visit a lot of beaches that I never imagine they could exist, I make a lot of friends there from different countries, and we had really good times there that I never going to forget, There are a lot of staff to do like go to the beach, surfing, playing sports, go to pubs and clubs, go to interesting and new excursions,etc.

I been there studing with a student visa, and to be honest this is one of the reasons I was affrraid to go there, because I thought that it was a complicated process, and I listened some bad histories about getting the visas, but in my case was a simple process, I been looking for a migratiohn company and after 1 month of serach i found one which looked like good, and I contant with them to get information about the process the posibilities the possible problems, and after that I had a good sensation about this company called Thames Migration, and finally I contract with them and I get the visa very fast and without problems, so at that moment I knew that this travell will be incredible.

I went to classes every morning and there is where I met good friends, and they usually are form different countries so it's very interesting and a good way to poen your mind, it change my view of the world, and this is one think that I appreciate it from this travel.

I recommend to all the people to go there once in live and visit this beatifull country, I been in Melbourne but you can go to other city because I listened there from some people I knew that all the cities are incredile and when you been there one time you believe this, I planning to go there next year, maybe to Sydney, but I'm not sure because I want to visiti all Australia, but I have to go step by step hehe.

• Melbourne

I loved all the different variety of foods here. Great tasting Indian cuisines and the casino is really nice as well .

• Melbourne

I spent two months working there. Though Melbourne is not the hottest tourist spot in Oz, it is blessed with nice weather, peaceful environment, lovely wildlife, fresh milk, fine gelato and more! I will definitely come back :)

• MelbournePro 2014

My favorite city of the three that I visited in Australia, Melbourne will be forever in my heart. I loved the people, the food, the culture. Everyone was so welcoming and nice. I have to say that I would go back again in a heartbeat.

• Melbourne

What a nice place for your car to break down and practically explode in. Met a lovely lesbian who worked in a cinema and let us help her clean it up while smashed out of our ever loving minds.got some free aviators. Oh word of warning never go to a low end strip club there, it was not a pleasant sight. (Which it should have been)

• Melbourne

If Sydney is the New York of Australia, then Melbourne is San Francisco. Melbourne has a mellow vibe with laid back people making it a great city to call home for a week, month, or six months like I did.

• Melbourne

so far my favourite oz destination, great shopping, cool bars/live music, fantastic food, accomadation is reasonable, everything from 5 star to backpackers, great markets, wine tours, historical sites, the botanical gardens are a must see as is the Old Melbourne Gaol & Museum

• Melbourne

you should go to Melbourn in winter, because in summer there is no beach or swimming and the main thing you do in melbourn is eat and shop.
    summer in melbourn is way to hot and would not be that enjoyable.
    also melbourne has the best deals in shopping and expecially in winter prices drop.

• MelbourneAmbassadorPro 2014

Melbourne would be a great city in which to live! Very clean and friendly, with a mixture of old and new architecture, cute cafes, and great shopping. Definitely not Australia's second city in either class or culture.

• Melbourne

We liked it. Used the Trams. Went to Flemington racers. Shopping was great. Seen "TUTANKHAMUN" at the Melbourne museum. We thought Melbourne is a great place to visit.

• Melbourne

i love this place soo much..
    i have more memories in this place..
    love it..
    hope i can go back there again..

• Melbourne

I'm a Melbournian and call me biased but this is an amazing city with so much to see and do. This city has many distinct parts with unique identities, a great CBD precinct, fantastic night life and shopping, entertainment and is a gateway to many great Victoria attractions such as the Great Ocean Road. Come visit my city!

• Melbourne

What's not to love about the sporting capital of the world...
    From top level sports to world famous concerts, from a market that has everything to a shopping precint to rival anything in Europe - Melbourne has it all. Tip - go in spring or summer because it can get chilly during winter ;)

• Melbourne

Cooler than the other mainland east coast cities, but beautiful tree lined avenues, great historical buildings and fabulous food and shopping. Well worth a stop :)

• Melbourne

If your in to old meets new and is still a working station, then it is a must see. It's also right there on the edge of Melbourne city, just a walk across Flinders street.

• Melbourne

like this city better than the others i been in Australia.
    the trams do get in the way sometimes. i like going down to the wharf and watch the large ferries leaving for tas.

• Melbourne

Love it so much, it's just like the advertisement-get lose in Melbourne. That's so many so many small littler place for you to explore and the food there is amazing. many varieties and they are expert in it!!! So gonna go back again

• Melbourne

Melbourne is a beautiful city with the lovely Yarra river running through it. It is also one of the great eating cities of the world, and paradoxically, one of the great cities for sport - both watching and doing. Don't go to Australia without a visit to Melbourne.

Find Hotels in Melbourne:

Packed with arts, culture, and sport and yet accessible to some spectacular encounters with the natural world, Melbourne offers a little bit of everything. Markets sell everything from art to antiques to produce, or you can wander the local streets, where upscale restaurants, hip nightclubs and trendy boutiques jostle for space. The arts are as popular here as is the nearby beach, and both arts festivals and beach activities are a huge draw for locals and tourists. A multicultural restaurant scene offers Vietnamese, Spanish and Lebanese fare, great fuel for shopping in the CBD (Central Business District) or investigating Aboriginal Victoria inland. The Victoria region around Melbourne offers beaches, cave explorations, desert, and activities like rock climbing, camping and white water rafting, not to mention opportunities for swimming with dolphins and hanging out with penguins.

267,452 people visited Melbourne