Mia's Tex-Mex Restaurant

Mo to Sa from 11:00am to 10:00pm

• Mia's Tex-Mex Restaurant
    Jay Ross
    5 Jan 04, 2013

Great local Mexican; don't let the complimentary valet parking deter you from this local spot. Try the signature brisket tacos.

• Mia's Tex-Mex Restaurant

Time.

Calories.

Watered down Margaritas.

Wasted.

I have been coming to Dallas for Years. And for YEARS we have always gone to the same places for Tex Mex. But this time, I was on my own. My boss was enroute from Miami and would be arriving late and my other counterparts were wrapped up in meetings. This would be one of the first times I would be left to hunt and gather dinner for myself. I inquired at the hotel's front desk if they would not mind taking me to Uncle Julio's. No problem, they would have the van driver take me right over.

On my way there, the driver asks "Hey, I know you are wanting to be dropped off at Uncle Julio's, but have you ever been to Mia's?". I had never been, but have been past it hundreds of times. I have always been curious as the parking lot is always packed. The driver went on to tell me that Uncle Julio's is "ok for Tex Mex", but that it's a chain and nothing special. I've always suspected as much and figured I would take his advice and check out Mia's.

I am so glad I did.

This place is phenomenal.

Everything from the food to the service and the even the margaritas is worthy of 5 stars.

I walked in right at the perfect time and was seated at a table towards the back of the restaurant. Within a couple of minutes I had a basket of freshly made chips and super flavorful salsa and a refreshing margarita right in front of me. A quick scan of the menu and you will find all your favorites. But one thing caught my eye. The ribeye fajitas! I decided to go with that and a small side of queso. I love drizzling queso over my entrees. They have both corn and flour tortillas, I went with corn but both looked delicious so you cannot go wrong with either choice.

My fajita platter arrived shortly after (along with another margarita .... oh oh) and was pleasantly surprised to find them cooked perfectly to medium rare. Served over a bed of caramelized onions and two crispy potatoes these fajitas were among the best I have ever tasted. Juicy, tender and full of flavor each bite was pure Heaven.

The queso however was not memorable, but did the trick. It was a bit lumpy for my liking, but if you are into lumpy then you will love them.

The service is stellar and very warm. Never once did I feel neglected.

If you find yourself in Dallas and someone suggests Papasitos or Uncle Julio's, make sure to tell them to take you to Mia's instead.