Who's on this trip?
Trip Plan Details
- Cheer Up Charlies1104 East 6th Street, Austin, TXrecommended Cheer Up CharliesCheer Up's on the east side, so it does its duty with cheap beer, GREAT local music and djs and I always end up meeting the most interesting people here.Recommended for:Aine Carroll
if you get bored with Cheer Up's, just head down the street to Shangri-la. They have a pinballz machine and equally cheap beer
- Easy Tiger709 E 6th St, Austin, Texasrecommended Easy TigerIf you are a beer drinking girl, then you will love this place. Located on dirty 6th, close to the highway this beer joint has about 40+ beers on tap or in bottles and has plenty of outdoor seating ... read moreandeven a couple of ping pong tables as well. They also serve some great casual food like pretzels and sandwiches. From here it is an easy walk to the East side, Rainey Street or anywhere else downtown.Recommended for:
- East Side Showroom1100 East 6th Street, Austin, TXrecommended East Side ShowroomThis is a great restaurant/bar on the Eastside featuring a pretty stellar cocktail list. I highly recommend this place because it usually has live music and has a great vibe to the place. The food is ... read morenot bad either, but i would recommend it more for the drinks.Recommended for:
- Kebabalicious450 7th St, Austin, TXrecommended KebabaliciousI Fu$ken love Kebabalicious. This is some of the best drunk or sober trailer food to eat. I use to go to this cart after partying on 6th street to have a "hit the spot" snack. The line at night can be ... read morea little long at times, but you will be happy to wait. They go as fast they can. I recommend the mixed kebab and always get the big size. The food is always great. I have had the food sober too and it is also good. We dont have a ton of arabic/Mediterranean options in town and this is one of the better ones.Recommended for:Amit Anandwala
they are also going to have a brick and mortar and they always have a couple of carts during SXSW. DELICIOUS.
commented on this trip
SXSW is amazing and can be a little overwhelming. Hoepfully you have already started your lodging search since things get full early. There are a lot of events with free food and drinks, however; hopefully you have time to check out some places at least. I would advise you to take a look at my SXSW folder of recommendations for a long list, but will also provide some on here.
- Eastside Cafe2113 Manor Rd, Austin, TX 78722recommended Eastside CafeHomegrown dinner in a cute little house? Yes, please! I had a great meal here and I LOVED that a few of the dishes even came from the garden out back.Recommended for:Katie Pierce
Local food done right. I'm sure it'll be packed, but if you like local and vegetarian dishes, this is one of the best restaurants.
- Holy Cacao, Inc.1311 South First Street, Austin, TXrecommended Holy Cacao, Inc.Cake shakes... I don't really understand them except for the fact that they blend two of my favorite things together: cake and ice cream. They are seriously deadly and rich... so splitting one among ... read moretwo or three isn't a problem. It can be found in one of the many areas where food trucks gather just a little off of South Congress (Austin seriously has the most food trucks I have ever seen!).Katie Pierce
Cake shakes after a long day at SXSW? You may need one!
- Halcyon Coffee House Bar & Lounge218 West 4th Street, Austin, TXrecommended Halcyon Coffee House Bar & LoungeHalcyon boasts a space that transitions between times and people easily. Breakfast to late night dessert, parties of young people headed out to students with coffee and lots of books can all be found ... read morehere. Where else can you get a camp-fire favorite like S'mores and adult versions of milkshakes?Recommended for:Katie Pierce
Definitely need to visit this spot! I thought it was such a funky spot. Part coffee bar, part study spot and part fun times out, Halcyon is quite a mix for whatever you're looking to do.
recommended Sno beachGET SNO BEACH NOW!!! and get cream on top. i'm a fan of pink lemonade, pomegranate, with cream.Recommended for:
- Juan in A Million2300 Cesar Chavez St E, Austin, TX 78702recommended Juan in A Millionoh how i miss breakfast burritos. come here and eat your heart out. you probably wont eat again til dinner, and you may wait in line...but it's totally worth it!Recommended for:
- Hotel San Jose1316 S Congress, Austin, TX 78704recommended Hotel San JoseHotel San Jose is a quintessential Austin hotel with a soul. The chic modern oasis, located in the heart of the bustling South Congress neighborhood, San Jose offers intimate, artfully designed hotel ... read morerooms, as well as a picturesque courtyard that is open to the general public. Fabulous retail and dining options are all just a short walk away.Ramona Flume
San Jose's rooms might all be booked for SX already, but the patio bar is open to the public and is worth stopping by for a champagne cocktail....
- The Mohawk912 Red River Street, Austin, TX, United Statesrecommended The MohawkThe Mohawk is one of Austin's best music venues and is home to a diverse creative culture. Known for its incredibly friendly bartenders--most of whom are hirsute gentlemen who are also members of ... read moreAustin's Facial Hair Clubs. Visitors might recognize them from their starring roles in the IFC network's "Whisker Wars." Needless to say, it's a laid back venue, with ice cold Lone Star and ample outdoor space to see some of the world's best entertainers.Ramona Flume
Mohawk is always one of my favorite live music venues. There will be plenty of free day showcases held this year for you to check out....
- Lustre Pearl97 Rainey Street, Austin, TX, United Statesrecommended Lustre PearlLustre Pearl-the shining star of the hip Rainey Street neighborhood- is one of the best places to soak up the casual, easy going atmosphere of Austin, whether it's an early afternoon happy hour or a ... read morelate night romp. Lustre is dog friendly, has ample patio space, stout drinks and delicious food. Darts inside, ping pong tables outside. Oh, and hula hoops. What more could you really ask for in an Austin bar?Ramona Flume
Hi Michelle! Lustre Pearl is great, but the entire Rainey Street district will be a safe bet throughout SXSW. Around 5 new bars have opened in the past six months alone!
- Austin Java Restaurant1608 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78704recommended Austin Java RestaurantOne of my favorite coffee shops in Austin, as well as a great place to stop in and pick up food to go. Coffee is great, as are the made to order breakfast tacos. Mondays they have a two for one burger ... read morespecial, and, most importantly, this place has unbelievably tasty African peanut soup. Several locations, but the Barton Springs locale is my favorite.Recommended for:Meg Brooker
Good place to hang for coffee and free wifi--
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum605 Robert East Lee Road, Austin, TX 78704-1453recommended Umlauf Sculpture Garden & MuseumMoving collection of scultpures by 20th century American sculptor Charles Umlauf. Works range from spiritual to mythological to family themes and even some playful animals. Umlauf was influenced by ... read moreRodin and Bourdelle, among others, and worked in a variety of mediums. Indoor gallery space houses seasonally rotating exhibits. Garden is beautifully landscaped with a waterfall, lilly ponds, and is a lovely place to wander for an afternoon.Recommended for:Meg Brooker
Great for after Barton Springs-- and Chuy's is just down the street.
- Barton Springs Pool2201 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TX 78746-5736recommended Barton Springs PoolAn oasis in the midst of the city, Barton Springs is a public swimming spot that maintains a constant 68 degree temperature all year round. Refreshing in the heat of Texas summer, this is not your ... read moreordinary civic swimming pool. From the refurbished bath houses with outdoor showers to the Texas oak-shaded slope for lounging, Barton Springs is a great place to hang out and enjoy the natural beauty of water for the low admission price of $3 per person.Recommended for:Meg Brooker
March may be a bit cool for swimming, but worth a visit--
- East Side King - Liberty Bar1618 1/2 E 6th St, Austin, TX 78702, United Statesrecommended East Side King - Liberty BarLove Liberty Bar and East Side King. Great dive bar feel with stiff drinks and plenty of room around the pool table. Best part of this place is the outdoor garden and the East Side King eats. Paul Qui ... read more(of Top Chef fame) is chef of this trailer food, and the brussel sprout salad is unbelievable (and only $6).Recommended for:Meg Brooker
Not sure how crowded it is since Paul won Top Chef, but great food and a very Austin experience--
- Kerbey Lane Cafe2606 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX 78705recommended Kerbey Lane CafeWith multiple locations and open 24 hours a day, you can't eat better than Kerbey. Fresh local ingredients make this tex-mex fave a frequent dining option. Great for breakfast, brunch, or dinner with ... read morea great variety of veggie options. Ask for chips and salsa when you sit (on the house), and check out the ginger pancakes and the migas for breakfast and the verde sauce on any enchilada plate for dinner. Hibiscus iced tea rocks (but unfortunately, the coffee is kind of bitter).Recommended for:Meg Brooker
Lots of locations and open 24/7--
- Uchi Restaurant801 South Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TXrecommended Uchi RestaurantBest dining experience of my life. The sushi is incredible-- each dish is crafted as a mix of flavor, texture, and color. Highly recommended as a place to savor each dish course by course. Fabulous ... read morewine menu and very knowledgeable service.Recommended for:Meg Brooker
Definitely worth it--
- Z'Tejas1110 West 6th Street, Austin, TXrecommended Z'TejasThere are lots of great Tex-Mex places in Austin, and Z-Tejas is a favorite. Great margaritas, fabulous enchiladas with fresh, high quality ingredients. Good at accommodating large parties and the 6th ... read moreStreet location has a deck built around an old Texas oak tree.Recommended for:Meg Brooker
If you are downtown proper, this place is a favorite--
- Home Slice Pizza1415 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704recommended Home Slice PizzaBest pizza in Austin-- but be prepared to wait. Great South Congress location, so there is plenty of people watching if you are lined up outside. A trick for getting in quicker is to scout for places ... read moreat the bar.Recommended for:Meg Brooker
Great option for downtown eats-- basically, most places on South Congress are fun. If you don't want to wait, check out the food trailers.
- Chuy's Restaurant1728 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78704
- Gueros Taco Bar1412 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704
- Magnolia Cafe1920 S. Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704
- Stubb's Bar-B-Q801 Red River St, Austin, TX 78701
- Amy's Ice Creams1301 S. Congress, Austin, TX 78704
- Alamo Drafthouse Austin: Downtown320 East 6th Street, Austin, TX, United States
- SXSW500 East Cesar Chavez Street, Austin, TX, United States