Mike's Pastry

LGBT
  • Mike's PastryCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane
    5 Jul 10, 2014

Mike's is a pastry-lover's dream. All sorts of colorful concoctions line the display (including their famous cannoli and some really huge sweets). Arrive early because it can get busy.

The location is great for anyone exploring the historic sites in North End. Be sure to check out the Paul Revere House and Mall if you're visiting for the first time.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodies
  • Mike's PastryCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 May 30, 2014

The most famous cannoli shop in boston. So many different flavors to choose from and always a long wait, but I can see why! I got the hazelnut cannoli and it was amazing. Also try the lobster tail!

Recommended for:FoodiesStudentsFamily Travelers
    Julia
    4 Feb 03, 2014

The most famous Pastry in Boston! Italian pastrys...yummy :) it's located in North End's "Little Italy"

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureVegetarian
    Lauren Baker
    5 Dec 31, 2013

The best Italian party, followed closely by Modern across the street. There is always a huge line out the door, but the cannoli are worth waiting.

Recommended for:FoodiesHistory BuffsLocal CultureStudents
    Steve DeAngelo
    5 Dec 11, 2013

Simply the best Italian Pastry shop that I have ever had the pleasure to experience. Located in the historic north end, the pastry shop is where Bostonians go to buy Italian pastry. They offer a variety of cannoli (over twenty different types) that is the best in the world!

Schel
    2 Nov 26, 2013

So while the munchkin and I were trapsing around Beantown and the surrounding area, something caught my attention. It was this dorky blue and white donut box being carried by tons and tons of people. It had a twine closure on it that everyone used as a handle. You literally couldnt help but notice this "advertising" everywhere.

So as we went from the science museum to the freedom trail near the Boston Garden towards the middle and having just past paul reveres house, the munchkin was craving some ice cream. Being it was a hot day we had walked a ways and it was on vacation, I said you got it, lets get some ice cream. Then off in the distance I spotted Mike's and someone walking out with a cup of ice cream.

Well the ice cream turned out to be gelatto. Not that I can tell any major difference other than the price... well we got a scoop each and proceeded to enjoy it thoroughly while sitting at an inside table resting after having trudged 2+ miles. So I was looking for a socket to plug my phone charger in as it was now dead and we were stopped for a bit, but the outlets were all dead or turned off. =\

so we struck up a conversation with the table next to us and then one of the most shocking things I have ever experienced in my life happened! The gal who was working the gelatto counter, came over and proceeded to chastise us for being friendly and talkative with each other. Seriously I cant imagine such behavior lasting from an employee who worked below me anywhere EVER! Hell I almost asked for the manager on the spot but, I was on vacay and didnt wanna destroy that womans day regardless of the fact that she was trashing ours =\ pardon my french... Elle sont une chienne! loosely translated its something about a female dog!

I am still pissed about this a few months later as i recall what all occured! This woman literally tried to stop us from talking with the other patrons. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN BOSTON BY FAR!

However since they had an ever changing line I decided to get a few cookies for later in the trip and a cupcake for the munchkin. So when we were good and ready, about 10 minutes too long by the bitch's standards... we got our other tasty treats.

We both liked the cookies and thought the cupcakes were meh. The gelatto was good since it was a hot day, but nothing special when compared to ice cream. So that combined with long lines and the worst service imaginable... I decided real fast that I wouldnt go back and that I would suggest that others do not as well.

I still cant believe the gall that that women had towards us and telling us not to talk to the other patrons and discuss the area...

Recommended for:BackpackersFamily TravelersFoodiesTrendsters
    Hanae
    LGBT
    2 Nov 06, 2013

First thing I ate when I arrived in boston to visit my friend :) Located in a touristy area in Italy city. It was pretty crowded (I figure there will be less tourists around August...I was wrong). My friend, Gerard suggested that we don't wait in line and move to the side all the way up, like people do at a bar. I felt like I cut in line but no one noticed.

I ordered the original and amaretto cannoli. Amaretto was super sweet and the chocolate was a little too much. Gerard wasn't much of a sweet tooth so it was up to me to finish the whole thing...ugh. He did warn me in advance that he won't help me eat the cannolis but I HAD to get more than one. Took me two days but I finished it! NOT something to eat on an empty stomach. After that I had chocolate cocktail and ice cream (it was on my food itinerary)...bad idea.

The pastries were delicious and I do recommend getting their ginormous cannolis if you're in this area. I prefer ice cream over pastries.

tip:
    - don't wait in line in the back, move up to the front on the side, like you do at a bar
    - get more than one, I heard pistachio is popular

Recommended for:Business TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesStudents
    Erin K
    3 Oct 21, 2013

I agree with Traci - it's no use waiting in line when the line doesn't exist. That's the way things work at Mike's; pushing and shoving and yelling your order comes with the territory. If you like cannolis, this is a decent place to get them, but I wasn't sold on any of their other desserts. That being said, if you're in the North End and craving something sweet, I would recommend coming here for the experience.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
    Jenny Weiss
    5 Oct 20, 2013

Amazing cannolis and a great variety of other desserts. Must-see in Boston! There are often lines out the door, but it's worth the wait :)

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Sharon "Bubz" Z
    5 Aug 28, 2013

It's impossible to walk through North End without spotting Mike's pastry box. This is arguably one of the best dessert places in Boston. On the weekend, be prepared to wait in long lines for access to the delicious cannoli's. There is a great variety of all sorts of Italian pastry, at reasonable prices. Makes for a great gift as well!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
    Ryan B
    5 Jul 05, 2013

Grab a Cannolli here and you will think you died and went to heaven. Make sure you have time to wait as the line here is always super long. Bring Cash as well, pretty sure they don't accept plastic.

Caroline Carlos
    4 Jun 23, 2013

Have you ever seen so many flavors of cannoli in one place? Of course those flavors include limoncello and pistacio. :) Rum cake, lobster tails...what else...I didn't see aragostina, but you can't expect everything. It's always busy here, so you'll have to be a little assertive in squeezing your way to the counter because, as you'll find, many people are just kind of standing about. This is one of my fave spots in the North End; then again, I have a really bad sweet tooth.

Traci
    4 May 15, 2013

Oh man, how I love Mike's Pastry. I was first introduced to this place a few weeks into living in Boston, and I went back as often as I could.
    My personal favorite is the chocolate peanut butter brownie - it's MASSIVE and very dense. it's topped with a ridiculously thick chocolate ganache and peanut butter frosting swirl. Other people love the cannolis and the lobster tail (not really lobster, it's a cream filled pastry shell the size of a small country). You can get things to go or you can grab one of the few tables to enjoy your desserts. (I think if you sit, a waitress comes by so you don't have to deal with the crowded counters, but honestly that is part of the experience here!)

Tip: don't wait in line. there is no line, just get as close as you can to any of the counters and wait for one of the 30 people behind the counter to make eye contact.

Albert Qian
    5 Nov 04, 2012

I'm definitely not the first, nor will I be the last, but the Cannoli here is legendary. A must see when you come to Boston.

Brian Jakovina
    5 Jul 24, 2012

The most amazing cannoli I have ever had. Usually a lineup to get in, try going on a weekday. They also have wonderful cakes, and other Italian pastries. A must visit when in Boston.

Amit Anandwala
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Mike's Pastry is an incredibly famous and popular bakery located in the North End. There are always people waiting in line for a table, but it often moves quickly. They are best known for their canoli. While I didnt think the place was amazing, i think it is still worth a visit to see what the fuss is about. It has also been around forever, so it has some cultural significance to Boston.

Keri McCarthy Ferry

I know it's cliche, but you can't go wrong with Mike's Pastry after any meal in the North End. It's an institution. Filled with tourists, something I generally steer clear of, but worth the trip. The lobster tail puff is pretty amazing. Cash only, open till 11PM. Don't be scared of line - it moves very quickly.

Susan Lee

Don't be intimidated by the long line to get into Mike's Pastry. Once inside, the line breaks into at least 7 different lines, which move fairly quickly. Unfortunately, there are no prices listed for the cannolis, but at least they have pictures of all the flavors they have. The cookies and cream and chocolate mint are my favorite. They also have non-cannoli items, but you have to catch a glimpse of them in the bakery cases in between the people standing in front of you in line.

Lorrie M
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Someone told me this place was a tourist trap. I have to say, I couldn't agree more. I came here with high expectations after exiting Modern Pastry Shop. I made sure to order a famous cannolli (I picked the amaretto one) as well as the lobster tail.

I was waiting for the lobster tail to impress me beyond belief. I held the precious $10 Mike's pastry box with only two pastries in it and excitedly headed back to enjoy. The lobster tail was fried and extremely hard. IT was filled with cream that was neither sweet nor flavorful. It was not life changing, so whoever review that I don't know what you would consider life changing ...

The cannolli, maybe I just don't like hard pastries but honestly the shell was hard, the insides were filled with the same bland cream as the lobster tail and the amaretto was barely in existent after the first bite. It's like a smaller version of the lobster tail with some almonds stuck on the side. I wasn't too impressed ... oh well!

suki
    2 Jul 04, 2012

We're not sure what the hype is all about. I suppose it might be the recognizable boxes and the size of the cannolis. Before we even tried the place, we saw people holding the Mike's Pastry boxes all over town. We ordered a Limoncello Cannoli. It was much too large, and it was too much of one flavor and consistency.

3,607 people visited Mike's Pastry