Mission San Fernando Rey de Espana
Member Reviews (1)Write a review
- Mission San Fernando Rey de EspanaMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsFoodies+ 2First to Review
Founded in 1797 as one of the chain of missions along El Camino Real, the San Fernando Mission underwent a number of drastic changes. Initially, because of its closeness to Los Angeles it became a popular stopping place for travelers. The padres kept adding to the convento wing until the hospice became known as the famous "long building" of El Camino Real.
When Mexico gained its independence, the resident padre refused to renounce allegiance to Spain. He was nevertheless permitted to stay until he left on his own volition. At that time, Governor Pio Pico leased the mission lands to his brother Andres, who made it his summer home. Later, the church and hospice were used as a warehouse and stable, while the quadrangle became a hog farm. In 1923 San Fernando became a church again. Today it has been restored.