Mitchell's Ice Cream

688 San Jose Ave, San Francisco, CA 94110

Amy Chow
    5 Sep 14, 2013

My favorite ice place so far :D

I love love love the Mexican chocolate! It's decadent with a hint of cinnamon kick. I know usually Chinese ppl don't really like cinnamon, but that's why I'm not that Chinese. Haha I'm more white. Some of my friends have called me a banana. ;P

Then I tried the Ube for the first time a couple of wks ago & loved it! It's creamy & not too sweet plus I love the color too!

I know there's usually a long line, but the last time I went was in the early afternoon before the lil kids get out of class so no wait for me. Yay!

Their other flavors are great as well: NY cherry, Pineapple something. and I really love the waffle cone!

Travis Katz
    5 Aug 06, 2013

Best ice cream in SF. No seats, always a line, but well worth it! I had the grasshopper pie. It probably had 2 full oreos, plus tons of fudge and chocolate chips.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    George L
    5 Dec 18, 2013
    Rhia R.
    4 Jun 14, 2013

I used to visit Mitchell's more often when I was a kid since it was close to my grandparents' house. I try to come by every once in a while, and it always brings back good memories. Although favorite is mango, I still sample other flavors when I'm there. This place always brings a line regardless of how the weather is in SF.

Ingrid Katz
    4 Oct 03, 2013

Yummy ice cream, there is always a line. Bad thing is, there is no sitting opportunity.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesStudents
    Todd Waldorf
    4 Sep 14, 2013

Just a whole in the wall, but really good freshly made ice cream. Of course the kids liked it.

Dave M
    5 Nov 29, 2013
    Owie
    4 Jun 14, 2014

Love their ice cream.

Love that they are open late.

Love the friendly and welcoming staffs.

Give this place a whirl and you will not be disappoint. Get the ube, yuzu, and citrus cocktails flavor. It's amazing!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureNightlife Lovers
    Douglas H
    5 Jul 17, 2014

Mitchell's is a San Francisco institution: a storefront (no seating) that has made its ice cream at this location since 1953! Great classic flavors, plus ones you will find no where else, like Mexican chocolate, dulce de leche (caramel with caramel swirls), buko (young cocnut imported from the Philippines) - the list goes on. You can check them out at www.mitchellsicecream.com.

Andrea L
    5 Jun 07, 2014

Oh, the flavors! I loved all the tropical flavor options!

Grab a number and try to make up your mind between all the delicious flavors while you wait to be called...

I wish I lived nearby so I could buy one of the to-go tubs and have this deliciousness in my freezer! Instead, we settled on multiple flavors to share so we could enjoy all the variety! I love passion fruit and was so excited to be able to order it here. All the flavors we had were delicious, but nothing stood out as much as the delicious passion fruit. It was a bit tart for the wife, but I loved it!

Lots of great stuff going on here including:
    +They sell halo halo (Filipino dessert)
    +Lots of gluten free flavors
    +Dairy free sorbet flavors like blood orange, guava, kalamansi, passion fruit, and mango
    +They are open until 11pm
    +They sell ice cream cakes

Their products are available for sale in some grocery stores in the SF area, but I wish they would expand and sell in So Cal!

Recommended for:Local CultureNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Jennifer K
    4 Jan 28, 2014

Some of the best Ice Cream in SF. A great walk from our house and the walk helps burn off the ice cream.

Joe V
    5 Sep 16, 2013

"The original" homemade ice cream joint of San Francisco. Bi-Rite can put all the olive oil, sea salt and jalapenos they want on their ice cream, and they'll never replace Mitchell's in the heart and soul of native San Franciscans like me.
    Come and taste history in the making.

John Lin
    3 Dec 08, 2012

Not sure why this place is so highly rated. Seemed pretty ordinary to me. Customer service is awesome though.

Mmarthie
    5 Nov 18, 2012

Jackfruit Ice cream!!!

aka Langka is sooooo yummy, creamy, and flavorful! I loved every single bite that went into my mouth. In fact, I loved every little sample I had: macapuno (sweet coconut), lilikoi mango swirl, & Mexican chocolate.

Service here is super top notch, especially from the manager/supervisor Juan who was there. He offered me most of those samples without my asking which was really nice of him.

And just for a tip: Mitchell's has a parking area in the back!! But I bet it gets packed quick on hot days.

Koji Kawano
    5 Oct 11, 2012

Old-fashioned ice cream shop in the Mission/Bernal Heights. Something about this ice scream shop that brings back nostalgia, which I don't get at neither Bi-Rite nor Humphry Slocombe. Local's favorite.

Benedict "@superben" Corpuz
    5 Oct 04, 2012

This is some of the most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted. There is such a large selection that there will probably be more than one kind you want to try. Keep a lookout for special an seasonal flavors and grab a scoop before they're out.

Trinity
    5 Oct 03, 2012

Super thick and creamy ice cream. Great selection of flavors from the basic cookies and cream to popular house flavors, such as Claire's Pie (a summer special) that is made up of Columbian coffee ice cream, fudge swirls, almonds, chocolate chips, and graham crunch pieces.

Grab a ticket number at the doorway and wait until your number is called to order. It's chaotic inside the shop sometimes with everyone standing around, but the wait isn't bad at all. I went during a busy time and it was about 10 minutes wait. Parking was very tough to find though. Highly recommended for the ice cream lover!

Claudia Contreras
    5 Sep 17, 2012

If I'm ever visiting San Francisco, I always stop by to get a tub of mango ice cream. So delicious and worth the wait if there's a long line.

Jewels
    5 Jul 25, 2012

This place has a line out the door no matter what time you go. Even at 9:30pm on a Sunday night.

But snag a number and ogle the selection they have up on the walls or through the glass if you're already squished up against the counter. The numbers give you some time to figure out what you want to get, which is a good thing because, man oh man, they have quite a selection.

When it came to my turn, the hubby and I got our ice cream on cones. Mmmmm. Then we went outside to enjoy it as we casually strolled back to our car.

A great place if this is the closest one to wherever you had dinner.

suki

How can anyone give an ice cream shop fewer than five stars? It has been a part of San Francisco since 1953. Go for the unique flavors - ube, mango, coconut, etc.

2,267 people visited Mitchell's Ice Cream