Road Trip: SF to SXSW
Who's on this trip?
Trip Plan Details
- Continental Club1315 S Congress Ave., Austin, TX 78704 recommended Continental ClubThe Continental Club is iconic Austin at its finest. It's one of those places where you feel cooler the minute you step in the door and that feeling of coolness ain't from the AC, if you know what I ... read moremean. Since 1950, they've been rocking South Austin and you can feel the presence of greatness when you're there (all 3 Hank Williams have been on the stage here at one point or another) but my persona fav back in the day (we're talking mid 90's) were Sunday nights with local legend Junior Brown on his 'Guit Steel' - like Ernest Tubb and Jimi Hendrix had a baby and called him Jr. Brown. Anyway, check the Austin Chronicle while you're there 'cause they've always got a rowdy mix of road shows and local acts to keep ya'll coming back.Baxter Jackson
If a country and western band is playing here, there will be some likeminded dancing going down on the tiny dancefloor
- Waterloo Records600 North Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TX, United Statesrecommended Waterloo RecordsIf Waterloo Records doesn't have that limited run, b-side import you've been scouring near and far for, it just don't exist. No 'bout a doubt it, vinyl is going the way of the dinosaur (most high ... read moreschool kids have never even been in a record store) - a genuine shame considering that Waterloo has not only one of the most exotic selections of music this side of the Brazos, it also hosts some of the rowdiest in-store performances from big name artists (free beer included!).
recommended 6th StreetA rowdy Texas free for all in the heart of Austin's entertainment district. From punk to country and everything in between, 6th St. has got a venue for just about everybody. During SXSW (South by ... read moreSouthWest), there's a free showcase here where you're likely to see for free the likes of Iggy Pop.Baxter Jackson
Find out who's playing the free showcase and get there early, Molly! Waterloo Records has free instore shows during SXSW too so check their shcedule as well and remember, please keep Austin Weird :-)
- Diablo Burger120 N Leroux St, #112, Flagstaff, AZ 86001recommended Diablo BurgerReally good burgers (beef but they have a good veggie patty) and awesome fries. Burgers are served on English muffin buns, branded with a db for Diablo Burger, which is a nice touch and makes you feel ... read morelike you are making a healthy choice and eating fewer carbs or something - this helps when you are eating the mountain of seasoned fries that comes with your burger. There isn't enough seating here, but the staff is nice and will help find room for you if need be.Recommended for:Becky M.
Excellent Flagstaff burger stop.
recommended OatmanA little mining town up in the mountains near Kingman, Arizona. Route 66 runs right through the middle of the town and traffic is often held up by the many many many feral donkeys that live in the ... read morearea (the descendants of animals the miners used back in the day). There are lots of tourist shops and some arty places here now. It's worth a stop only just to pet the donkeys, who are used to being fed by tourists.Recommended for:Becky M.
If you do take I-40, take a detour to old Route 66 so you can check out Oatman. It's a total tourist trap, but the donkeys are amazing and will want to be your friend. The scenery near here is also really pretty -- nicer than you'll see along the highway for sure.
- Bats Underneath Congress Bridge100 Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78701-4020recommended Bats Underneath Congress BridgeWhen I was in Austin for a work thing, a cousin who lives nearby came to hang out with me and made me go check out the bats. I was a little skeptical about how impressive it could be -- I mean, ... read morereally? -- but it was ridiculously impressive. The sheer number of bats is crazy and seeing them swoop out over the river is really cool.Recommended for:
recommended cadillac ranchI've been to Cadillac Ranch twice on different cross-country road trips, and it has been well worth the visit both times. It really is an amazing thing to visit Even though it might not sound that ... read morespecial, it is!Recommended for:Becky M.
I don't know if you're going to go up north to Amarillo to catch I-40, but check out Cadillac Ranch if you do!
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum605 Robert East Lee Road, Austin, TX 78704-1453recommended Umlauf Sculpture Garden & MuseumMoving collection of scultpures by 20th century American sculptor Charles Umlauf. Works range from spiritual to mythological to family themes and even some playful animals. Umlauf was influenced by ... read moreRodin and Bourdelle, among others, and worked in a variety of mediums. Indoor gallery space houses seasonally rotating exhibits. Garden is beautifully landscaped with a waterfall, lilly ponds, and is a lovely place to wander for an afternoon.Recommended for:Meg Brooker
There will be live music at the Umlauf on Sunday 3/10-- Christy Claxton (fabulous singer songwriter) at 1:30pm-- come visit here when you are in town and say hi! (I work here)--
- South Congress AvenueSouth Congress Ave and E Riverside Dr, Austin, TX 78704recommended South Congress AvenueSouth Congress, locally referred to as SoCo, is the stretch of Congress Ave south of the river and is lined with boutique hotels, vintage shops, restaurants and music venues.Recommended for:Meg Brooker
Start somewhere near Guero's and walk north-- lots of music in all the side streets up and down SoCo--
- Broken Spoke3201 South Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TXrecommended Broken SpokeA true Texas dancehall! Great music, beer, and two-stepping. Get there early for a dance lesson and to grab a table. Don't forget your leather soled cowboy boots.Recommended for:Meg Brooker
And when will you be in town? I'm in DC for a long weekend but back Tuesday 3/13--
recommended Santa FeI had a blast in Santa Fe, hiking out in Pueblo ruins, eating great tex-mex food (including frito pie) and checking out little art galleries. If I ever moved back to the United States, this is one of ... read morethe places I'd think of living.Recommended for:Julia P
Stay in Santa Fe! It's so beautiful. Admittedly, I'm not sure how convenient it is, but if you drive in a kind of wobbly L shape... :-) have fun!