Momofuku Ssam Bar

207 Second Avenue, New York, NY 10003

Lucy Swift Weber Youdovin
    5 Mar 29, 2014

When you're craving Momofuko, but are not in the mood for noodles and can't get a reservation at Ko, this is the place to be. The Ssam bar is fantastic.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureTrendstersLuxury Travelers
    Jin Yoo-Kim
    5 Jan 30, 2014

I've been here nearly 4 or 5 years ago when it was still considered pretty new. Man, it was such a mind blowing experience at that time to have this sweet, juicy pork for ssam since Koreans usually have ssam with bland boiled pork and you add your pickles, etc on it (also, usually not in a bun, but in a lettuce cup or something). I can't wait to go back and try it again.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureLuxury TravelersTrendsters
  • Momofuku Ssam BarPro 2014
    Verlisia
    4 Nov 06, 2013

The Steamed Pork Buns here alone merits a trip to this establishment. They were really as good as others have described. It was all about those super juicy slices of pork belly. I don't know how they were cooked but it was just perfect.

I was fairly disappointed I didn't get to try their Bo Ssam. I tried! Rounding up 6-8 friends in NYC is just more difficult than I thought. Next time for sure. I will gather up enough people (or I will just eat it all by myself).

The restaurant is fairly different from what I have imagined. It has a very vibrant and sleek bar ambiance. Not a typical place you would expect a great dinner. The food was really good but also very pricey. As I have mentioned before, I adore the steamed pork buns. The bar bun is good too. It is a fried version of the steamed pork buns. The meat is very crispy. I enjoy the tenderness of the steamed version more but for those who like fried food, it is really not a bad choice.

Spicy Honeycomb Tripe was underwhelming compare to the pork buns. It is lightly spicy with a slightly tad sauce. Good but not great. I have had better tripe dishes elsewhere.

The Roasted Lamb Loin & Belly is an interesting dish. The lamb belly is lovely. Crispy and tender at the same time and went quite well with the egg york on the side. Roasted lamb is average. Meat was cooked to a perfect medium rare as requested but the taste didn't stand out. Overall a good innovative dish but the portion is really small for the price.

Dinner here is steep consider the tiny portion. I love the pork buns but I can't really recommend anything else. I think Momofuku noodle bar is a better deal unless you can gather enough people for the bo ssam.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Chef David Myers
    5 Oct 24, 2013

It's so fantastic to be cooking alongside chefs like David Chang. We both have a passion for fusing Asian style cooking and ingredients with other global cuisines, and in this case, Saam bar is an incredible melding of his Korean heritage with farm and sea fresh fare from the US. I love his take on food- when you can get country ham from Tennessee in the same meal as delicately prepared Santa Barbara uni, you know you are in a unique place. A nice touch at the Saam bar is they also offer 2 "large format" meals, Bo Saam (roast pork shoulder) or Duck Rotisserie" which you have to go with a big group and eat together. Bringing people back to the communal table is a great movement, and Chang does it with his twist.

Connie Pistilli
    5 Aug 05, 2013

Momo-fuku-ing GREAT! I'm so happy we made our way over here on Sunday evening for our last dinner in NYC. There was no wait at all (they don't take reservations unless you're having the pork butt bo ssäm with a large party), and we got a nice spot at the bar. The space is contemporary and minimalistic with dark wood walls that bear only three photos of Johnny McEnroe (apparently owner David Chang is a huge fan?).

We started out with some modern cocktails. I had the Sawyer (Beefeater gin, angostura, peychaud's, orange bitters, lime juice, & simple syrup) - I LOVE anything with gin and orange bitters, so this was the perfect way to start off the evening. It was cool to see that the modern menu was a compilation of different cocktails created by artisan bartenders from NY, LA & NOLA.

But it's ALL about the steamed buns here! Man-tou buns stuffed with a thick slice of pork belly that melts in your mouth, cucumbers, scallions and hoisin sauce topped with Sriracha sauce - so amazing that you can't just have one. Yes, it was so good that we ordered two plates of it, so we could both have two of the deliciousness.

For our main dish, we had the whole boneless porgy with ramps and maitake mushrooms for two. The medium sized fish was grilled and extremely tasty, though we wished the chive pancakes that accompanied it were not pan fried. There was enough smokey flavor from the fish skin that eating it with a pan fried pancake was too salty. I could have been happy with stuffing them into some more man-tous. We paired the fish with some refreshing sake.

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
    PokerGirl
    4 Jun 12, 2013

The highly talked about roasted pork shoulder ssam lived up to its hype!!! There was plenty of food for at least 10 people, so split 10 ways @ $20 per person, this meal was very reasonable! Comes with lettuce, pickled radishes n carrots, and kimchee sides and sauces. A really enjoyable family style dinner. Must reserve in advance tho!!!

Bobby Rivera
    5 Mar 18, 2013

First of all let's make this clear. If you are reading this review, it is because you are on your way to Momofuku and not because you're thinking of going. This venue is about as "no-brainer" as it can get without being medically labeled a vegetable. Momofuku continues Chef David Chang’s penchant for stripped down presentation and eclectic menus. His style has energized New York's dining scene and the city is eating it up. Literally.

Momofuku is part of the Holy Trinity of iconoclastic dining offerings that started with Momofuku Ko. Thankfully Chang has decided to leave room for more than 12 people in this iteration of his culinary vision, thereby easing the fear of rioting. The menu here is more stable and less random than Momofuku Ko, but that doesn't make it any less delectable. This is one of those rare places where all your friends and guests will have differing favorite dishes but none of you will be wrong. Personally I'm a fan of the BBQ bun, which brings an americanized sandwich like twist to traditional Chinese steamed buns, and features crispy pork belly. There is no greater honor for a pig than to end up in this dish. Big groups are encouraged to order any of the bo ssäm's and make yourselves look like complete gluttons. The cocktails are no less unique (try the Lamprey and thank me later. Preferably by buying me one).

If you're stumped for a place to dine on any given night or there is any dispute at all, this should win by default. Go and be a happy Momofuku'er.

Roy Chi
    5 Jan 10, 2013

Momofuku's Bo Ssam is a dish that all pork-lovers need to experience before death. For all non pork-lovers, the Bo Ssam may be just the dish that turns your life around, exposing to you just how incredibly delicious a pig could be. This is definitely one of the very best pork experiences I've ever had.

I made my reservation a month in advance for 10pm on a Thursday night for 6 people. I was warned by many that a party of 6 was way too small to finish the 7-pound behemoth of pork shoulder, so we were well-prepared to attack this beast. I arrived with some wine in my system, hunger pains pulsating throughout my body, and a mission statement to conquer the famous Bo Ssam.

We started off our meal with an order of the Momofuku pork buns. The pork belly was incredibly tender, with a small amount of hoisin sauce. Since I had the hirata pork belly buns from Ippudo the day before, I naturally made a comparison between the two. Here's the verdict: the Momofuku pork belly was much more natural and tender; the Ippudo pork belly had a much-tastier marinade. Not sure exactly which one I would say is better, but I did think Momofuku's pork belly didn't live up completely to its phenomenal hype.

Now on to the Bo Ssam. When it arrived, we all said "Whoa" in perfect unison. The size of the pork shoulder was fear-inducing; the oily glaze whetted my appetite like I hadn't eaten in days. Cutting open the shoulder was like cutting Jell-O -- the tenderness of the pork was incredible. The skin was perfectly roasted -- oily, crispy, and packed a million flavors in one bite. The shoulder included so many different varieties of pork textures -- crispy skin, tender chunks, and flavorful shreds -- all of which were undeniably delicious.

The way to eat this pork is to wrap it in fresh lettuce, with your choice of sauce (kimchi, kimchi puree, oil & chives, and gohchu jjang), some rice, and a fresh oyster. The mixture of all the Korean-infused flavors, the freshness of the oyster, and the juicy goodness of the pork shoulder is the prime example of what Asian Fusion should be. Absolutely perfect.

After many personalized Bo Ssam wraps and enough pork fat to clog multiple arteries, we surrendered, but with the pride that there were only a few pieces of pork shoulder left. I think 6 people was too few, but only slightly -- and I think 9-10 people would have been way too many people. The perfect number of eaters for this Bo Ssam is probably around 7 or 8. The whole dinner for the 6 of us (for the Bo Ssam, pork buns, and 2 bottles of red wine) was $60/pp after tax & tip. Really -- it was a steal.

I didn't try anything else on the menu (other than the pork buns), so I can't speak to any of their normal dishes. But I can say this with complete certainty: the Bo Ssam is one of the best food experiences I've ever had in my life -- and one of the best communal experiences, guaranteeing great memories with a group of your favorite people or new friends. When I'm old and gray, I imagine that when I look back on my lifetime of food, Momofuku's Bo Ssam will surely be one of the defining moments of that montage.

Grace Hsiang
    4 Dec 19, 2012

Came here once with a group of friends and from what I remember, we had a group of six (half of which were men with hearty appetites) and still could not finish this beast of a meal. I love the flavors of this dish - the oysters, the sauces, and this tender tender pork shoulder. Not for people with weak appetites!

Chelle A
    4 Nov 05, 2012

My go-to place for an evening of pork buns. Other items on the menu are ok but the pork buns make it all worth while. Great wines on the menu. But be sure to skip Milk Bar...not at all worth the hype

Jorge Tan
    LGBT

One of my favorite meals in NYC! Spicy sausage and rice cakes with Chinese broccoli and fried shallots.

Shane aka Kau Kau Hotel

This is my favorite restaurant on earth. I've had the Bo Ssam meal for a birthday treat and I can't recommend that experience any more highly than - MAKE A REASON UP - book it now. Die by pork, oysters and kim chee. This place has evolved well over the years and I especially like their really sophisticated cocktail menu. Its seasonal so catch it well you can. You can't miss the pork buns, but you know that (honestly I think they need some hoisin sauce to be perfect) but if you see the fried brussel spouts with rice bubbles and fish sauce - order two servings. It will be one of the best veggie sides of your life. I dont care if you dont like fish sauce - the flavors melt together into a smokey, crispy, salty goodness that is I think close to a nirvana.

Maor Chasen
    3 Jul 04, 2012

Great restaurant with a consistent menu. The food is very authentic as well as the whole place's atmosphere. The prices are fine and for about $30 you can have a full dinner ever for a couple. For a romantic dinner, arrive in the evening.

Gabriel

Momofuku Ssam Bar is a cute little Japanese place in Manhattan. Located on Second Avenue, the menu is definitely reasonable and well-stocked. The steamed buns are the highlight, as is the modern decor.

Veronica Sartori

You'd think "contemporary" Chinese food would lose its touch in being authentic. While still maintaining that Chinese culinary background, each dish has its own David Chang-ian twist to it. The restaurant is modern and slick, and the menu is surely going to make your palate happy! Get the pork buns...for sure! If you're going on an empty stomach, the set menu during lunch time is a great deal. For $25, you get an appetizer, main course, & dessert!! It's pretty much like getting a dessert for free (if you were to just order the appetizer & main course)~ Well worth it.

Aron Hegyi

Yes, the steamed pork buns *are* really that good. A lot of things on the menu are... mostly the ones with pork in them.

Chris Lawrence
    4 Jun 30, 2014

Duck is phenomenal. atmosphere is wonderful.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesTrendsters