Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 98%Family Travelers
- 98%Local Culture
Member Reviews (2)
- MonzoMember ofFamily TravelersLocal CultureOutdoor Enthusiasts+ 14Oct 30, 2013
- Lunch time, 30 min before they closed (2:30)
- Didn't get to see the guy make the noodle :(
- Grdered carbonara and squid butter signature entre: both were savory and delicious. Glad we shared 2 different entres and not get sick of eating only one. I also ordered a side off deep fried soft boil egg cuz I never had it. It was ok. My favorite dish was the carbonara sauce (cheeeessse).
- Made a reservation for my family (thank god, it got really crowded)
- Finally got to see a guy make their famous handmade udon at the bar behind the window! it's really cool to see how they were made :)
- My parents said this is the best udon they have ever had. The noodle isn't mushy and the soup is splendid.
- Ordered: curry udon, tempura don, meat udon, kake udon and carbonara.
A+++ they were very attentive and sweet :) they were cool about letting us change our reservation last minute.
- the signature entre is amazing but the sauce will distract u from the quality of the noodle
- the traditional udon, you can focus on the noodle and the soup/broth
- make a reservation because this place gets crowded
- they close at 2:30pm then opens again at 5pm
- i think the lunch price is the same as dinner, so best to go during dinner time
- MonzoFirst to ReviewApr 01, 2013
I really wanted to fall in love with this place, but sadly I walked out disappointed. I came for lunch, which turns out to have the same pricing as dinner with the exception of discounted rice bowls.
The bowls are discounted to $3 (Beef, Kakiage, Pork Belly Don) and $4 (Shrimp Tempura Don).
Miso Carbonara Udon - $12.50
Too Rich, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack after a couple of bites! I've read over and over the other reviews about this dish being too rich, but I was being stubborn. I am a fan of Carbonara, but this dish made me feel like I was getting injected with butter into my veins! Yikes!!! I would NOT recommend this dish for your sole entree, but as one to share with a party of 4.
Chicken Tempura Udon - $8.95
It's just a regular Udon noodle soup with Chicken Tempura on the side. Hmm? I wasn't wowed, the bowl was as simple as it gets. Plus, there were only two pieces of chicken for this entree.
The Udon noodle itself was superb, so I am willing to come back to try their other entrees. As for the ones that I have tried, PASS! For those who has no idea what an Udon dish is, here's the general description: Udon is usually served hot as noodle soup in its simplest form in a mildly flavored broth....think soy sauce! They also have cold ones available, which is great on a hot summer day. Monzo's Udon noodles are made at location guaranteeing the freshest noodles available and I agree with everyone on this point.
As I was leaving, I saw a lot of orders for Beef Udon that actually looked pretty good. The chef makes it with the regular Udon noodle soup with the addition of the marinated beef inside. I foresee this being my next order! So who wants to try some more noodles???