Morimoto

723 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19106

• MorimotoPro 2014
    Steve Sim
    5 Jul 11, 2014

Iron Chef meal, so so good.

This is my third time in Philadelphia
    This is my second time I'm in front of Morimoto
    I finally made it in this time around.
    Food was outstanding, service was excellent.

The first time I went to Morimoto, I was walking to go to Geno's for a cheese steak sandwich when by chance I passed it. I stood there for a few minutes debating whether to go in or not. Unfortunately it was raining & I was drenched. Looking at the customers going in (dressed to the nines) I decided to continue my trek for a cheese steak sandwich. This time around, I was determined to go, no matter what happens.
    Luckily, our meeting on the last day was moved backed an hour. Freeing everyone an hour early. That was all I needed.

I opted for the lunch Omakase (Chefs Choice)

Here's the rundown:
    Yellowtail Tartare w/ Caviar in Dashi Broth
    A great starter. Tuna was chopped so fine. It had crispy shallots hiding inside providing a contrasting crunchy texture to the soft tuna. The Dashi broth was so flavorful, I chugged it at the end. Delicious.

Carpaccio Amadai (Tile fish)
    Hot peanut oil was poured on top of the fish which was laying in a pool of virgin olive oil and some soy sauce. I've seen the iron chef do this on some of his shows, now I know why. It brings out a different taste from the fish. Delicious.

Sashimi Salad w/ Kampachi & Salmon.
    Micro green salad with a couple of sashimi pieces of kampachi & salmon. Good.

Pan Seared Scallop w/ Gnocchi.
    Perfectly seared scallops w/ a few gnocchi pieces, beets, peas & pine nut in a beet sauce. I want more of this, Delicious.

Black Cod Miso
    Nobu would be proud. The black cod was so buttery. The skin was crispy. The miso sauce was so good. The best fish dish I've ever had. I'm drooling just thinking of this dish. DELICIOUS!!

Nigiri Sushi
    I got five, Maguro Toro, Kampachi, Red Snapper, Horse Mackerel & Clam
    All delicious. I usually don't order mackerel because I don't prefer the taste. But the Horse Mackerel (1st time having it as a sushi) was really good. Changed my mind on it, will have to start ordering it.

Cheese Cake, I missed the actual name of this dish. But it is was very good. It's not your typical cheese cake. It was very light and not as cheesy. I'd say Asian style cheese cake. Not too sweet, my kind of dessert.

I was also able to taste the Wasabi Fried Rice. Oh wow, so good. Don't get scared of by the word wasabi here, it's very mild. Flavors were on point. Delicious.

Service:
    Our server, Chrissy was excellent. Her knowledge of the menu items were impeccable. Her suggestions were on point. Great personality too.

Ambiance:
    The place is modern simplicity. Very light music in the background. The furniture was very modern and it changes color, almost like a mood light. Super clean.

Tip: get the omakase for lunch, it has the same items as the omakase for dinner but at half the price.

Sorry for using the word "Delicious" too many times. But that is what kept coming to my head describing the food here.

Iron Chef I bow to you, food was exceptional.
    Five Star Plus in my book.
    I'll definitely be back.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersLocal CultureAdventure Travelers
    Jean Rhee
    4 Aug 15, 2013

good lunch specials. only six tables at lunch total = stellar service. if you're from a place with good sushi like los Angeles or Seattle, skip the basic sushi and sashimi, which is decent but not smashing, and go for the more inventive dishes. seared scallops were divine. buri bop was tasty and filling (like the Korean bibimbop), house sake was quality, and the matcha green tea tres leches with burnt honey ice cream really hit the spot. definitely would go back.

Steven Wu
    5 Jun 10, 2013

Obsoletely great Japanese food the place is pretty awesome also has choice of other cocktail and other fusion food

Andrew Karlin
    5 Jan 19, 2013

With an elegant and sophisticated decor, Morimoto serves some of Philadelphia's best sushi and Japanese haute cuisine. Very expensive, but worth it.

Kelly Lees
    4 Sep 25, 2012

Another Stephen Starr restaurant that delivers. Super sushi. Funky setting. Great service. I always recommend the Omakase.

Cheryl Bowman
    5 Jan 01, 2013

Beautiful ambience, exquisite food.

Gigi Lai

A great fun place with great inventive sushi and cocktails

Jim Barton