Newport Tan Cang Seafood Restaurant

Santa Ana

Mendel Lin
    5 Feb 12, 2014

Been coming here for years and it's the first place I go to when I think Chinese food the SGV.

I usually come here for their cheap lunch specials. Portion sizes are smaller than dinner for a fraction of the price.

Salt and pepper fried pork chop? Check!
    Scrambled egg and shrimp? Check!
    Clams and basil sauce? Check!
    Lightly battered fish and basil sauce? Check!
    Salt and pepper shrimp? Check!

Simply put, you can't go wrong eating here for lunch. Most of the reviews seem to be for dinner, and to those, all the food is still delicious. As for the lobster? It seems to be a hit though sometimes a miss, but when I'm not paying the bill, its always been amazing.

Kim L. "Lady Boss"
    4 Jan 16, 2014

This is my favorite traditional Chinese restaurant. Every single one of my family members love this place. My family often order the lobster of pick-up when we have family potlucks and gatherings. But a couple things to be aware of..

1) Don't even bother entering the parking lot here if you come for dinner. You're better off less frustrated parking on the street across the street from the restaurant. AND don't even think about jaywalking. I've seen many cops camp out around just waiting for those people.
    2) Expect an hour wait at the least. They're really popular and though the restaurant is of pretty decent size, the wait is almost always guaranteed.
    3) It's not that cheap. compared to other restaurants of like, this isn't the cheapest, but I do think it's the best in regards to taste.
    4) Ask the owner if your party can sit in a big table is you have only 4 people or less. Often times, when you have a small party and they have only big tables, they still don't seat you. But, if you ask the owner and there are no big parties on the waiting list, she'll let you sit in the big tables.
    5) The server speaks English. Lucky for you all, this is one of the few Chinese restaurants where the servers speak fluent English.

Richard
    4 Dec 01, 2013

Newport Tan Cang Seafood Restaurant is always one of my favorites, especially for their lunch specials! They've got dishes not just typical of Cantonese restaurants but also American flavors like Kung Pao Chicken that are more western friendly. Staff speaks good English and provides better service than what you'd find in other Chinese restaurants, the d├ęcor is nice and feels very traditional. There are cheaper Chinese lunch options in SGV, but this one, I feel, is very close to home cooking. Dishes aren't greasy or oily like you would often find in other places.

They've got live seafood like the Alaskan King Crab, if you want the King of Seafood. Parking lot is still a problem, so you're better off parking in the street. Some of their really stand out dishes include the seafood fried rice and the scramble eggs, however I did notice that their service has been slower and not as friendly as it used to be, the steam rice was overcooked, and the soup was cold.

Tilly Wright
    5 Oct 19, 2012

If you want to eat a 5lb greatly flavored lobster, come here. They are amazing. After you put in the order to your server, they'll bring out the lobster with the similar size as your request before they cut it up and cook it for you. It is a bit disturbing sometimes to watch something live and then die 15 minutes later. You'll soon forget about that live lobster after the dish lands on your table.

Vincent Mao
    4 Oct 02, 2012

Love the lunch special. Clam and basil a must try. Everything during lunch is cheap and you get a really good portion size. There fixed family style meals are also a great deal. Love the new location, moving from the old run down spot to the maria calanders building. Good move newport. Lobster and seafood dishes look delish for the ballers. This is a vietnamese chinese fusion cuisine.

Rosemary Tsai
    4 Sep 25, 2012

FRESHEST SEAFOOD you'll get from any restaurant. I decided to try something new because Phoenix has changed since I've last been there. The quality of their food SUCKS now.

So, with the 2 of us, we ordered 5lbs lobster in house special sauce, which was TO DIE FOR!!!! Even thought it's oily, greasy, and bad for you like any other Chinese restaurant, the freshness, and sweetness of the lobster makes up for that. We also got their claim in spicy house sauce, which was THE BEST I ever had. The clam was plump, juicy, fresh, and absolutely delicious. Unlike some other restaurants, the clams are small, and sandy.... this one is not like that.

I know, I know, there's only 2 of us, but we also decided to order their salt and pepper fried calramari, which my bf decided to eat the whole plate by himself. So, I guess that speaks for itself on how good the calamari is. On to the last dish, we ordered on choy with garlic, which was fresh! The vegetables were green, and not brown like some restaurants.

Based on the review, you know you gotta try it because it's not just a hype, it's really that good! I think I would a new must go restaurant in San Gabriel now..... when I feel like driving from Irvine to SG.

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    5 Jul 19, 2012

Phenomenal food! They are known for their uber flavorful crab and lobster. If you're not into seafood, they are plenty of vegetable and meat dishes as well.

The restaurant is quite nice so it's a great place for a celebration/feast with family and friends.

Jackson Yang
    3 Jul 05, 2012

The most memorable part about my visit here was the end. After the meal was finished, bill was paid, we left the restaurant and notice they had a C rating strategically hidden behind the tree or plant they have in front. Talk about leaving a bad taste in your mouth huh?

As Mr.626 felt like I was way over due for not trying this place earlier. But I'm glad I fought the urge and all this hype. You know what? It was all right. Wasn't bad, wasn't amazing either.

It's just like any other traditional restaurant in the SGV/626, except they got those GIANT crabs and lobsters. Not gonna lie, those things are HUGE!!! I think the chinese way of enjoying this type of seafood is kinda over done. You really CANNOT taste the freshness of the seafood. It's all masked by all the ginger and garlic they use in the stir frying process. Don't get me wrong, it is delicious!

But yeah, other than that, there is really nothing special about this place. One thing I gotta add though. The "medium" serving of lobster was like $90. Our entire meal was like $140. Party of 6 people. Wonder how much it would be if we got the large order. Just sayin'

46 people visited Newport Tan Cang Seafood Restaurant