Nick's On Main

• Nick's On MainPro 2014
    Verlisia
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts
    4 Nov 01, 2013

I am jealous of people who work near Los Gatos downtown. There are just no shortage of excellent lunch options. Thirteen dollars for a Dungeness Crab Melt or Lobster Roll is really money well spent. These sandwiches are more refined than those from traditional seafood spots but twice as delicious and just as gratifying.

The portions are generous. Careful not to get filled up by their tasty bread and dip. Even just a simple Dungeness Crab Risotto "starter" could be a full lunch for some. If you like risotto that is something not to be missed. The texture is just right with a perfect amount of firmness.

Lovely ambiance. Small, cozy but intimate.

The down side? Nick's is a tiny restaurant and is super popular. Your chance of getting a table without reservation during regular work day lunch hour is slim, very slim. Do plan ahead and make a reservation.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Jennifer Blanco
    5 Mar 16, 2013

Worth the wait! We innocently walked in on a Friday night thinking, "oh, we don't mind waiting." We were lucky to get seating at the bar! NOTE TO GOGOBOTERS: do make reservations for this joint, host recommended a month in advance.

Pros:
    Food - everything was delicious, and from my novice palette, every dish gets special attention. Though it is a $$$ type of restaurant, I mean, they serve bone marrow with their steak (as a sauce), somehow made Brussels sprouts taste good (and crunchy) and their risotto croquettes were
    perfectly crispy. In my humble palette opinion that's more like $$$$.
    Service - everyone is very hospitable and welcoming. I loved how the host asked if we enjoyed our meal - most hosts or hostesses just say "thanks" "bye" or nothing at all.
    Complimentary bread dipping sauce - divine! Instead of your boring EVOO and balsamic, you get this EVOO chili oil fusion with garlic, tomatoes and basil.

Cons - one month in advance reservation? Good grief, Charlie Brown.

Conclusion - will make reservations now for next month. ;-)

Jordan Davis
    5 Nov 29, 2012

Went with a group for my wifes birthday. Amazing food. Great atmosphere. Even though they are a tiny restaurant they were able to accomodate 10 of us for a group dinner. I will be back!

Connie Pistilli
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts
    5 Sep 30, 2012

How could I give Nick's anything but 5 stars? The service, the ambiance, the food... and most of all, the people were all wonderful.

There was a party of three waiting out on the benches outside, but when we asked how long the wait was for two in the tiny little bistro, they told us it would only be about 10 minutes so we decided to wait. During that time, we were able to check out the menu and read up on the article posted about Nick's, and made our selections from the rave reviews.

Our wait was short, and we were seated at the best table in the house - at the cozy table for two right next to the window. Our server was extremely friendly and attentive, and gave us some of his recommendations. We ordered two glasses of a lovely Sauvignon Blanc.

We decided to start with the panko crusted abalone appetizer, which was fantastic!! Wow, the abalone had the perfect balance of textures and flavors. Even the greens that came with it were dressed nicely. For entrees, my date got their signature Nani's meatloaf dish, which was some of the tastiest meatloaf I'd ever had! The slice was quickly pan seared, so it was slightly crisp on the outside, which I really enjoyed. I got the penne bolognese, which was very tasty and a generous portion. In fact, I just ate some leftovers for lunch. However, the best part of the meal was the banana bread pudding. I am a sucker for bread pudding, and this one came out warm and gooey, with a dollop of cream on top. It was so good, that when we were asked to leave a note in the "Food Lover's Companion" book, I wrote our message under Bread Pudding.

The service and the food were excellent. But what made our evening particularly memorable was getting to chat with Nick, who makes his round to each table several times throughout the evening. I love it when the owner/chef makes a real sincere effort to meet all of his patrons. And I can't forget to give a special shout out to the extremely generous couple who we sat next to, who left without telling us that they bought our wine for us. Our server told us that it was the former Mayor of LG!

Matt Roberts
    5 Aug 22, 2012

Hands down one of the BEST resturants you'll ever go to! The food is absolutly devine. With service and atmosphere to match. Such an intimate place and the owner Nick is always there making sure the expeience perfect! Be warned, if you go here and eat the food you will be forever spoiled and may never want to go to any other resturant.

yael wagner
    • Local Culture

small restaurant, great menu. my top dishes: the mushroom risotto and the Seared Ahi Tuna/Angel Hair Pasta. also high on my list is the steak tartare.
    owner doesn't believe in marketing of any sort. now that i found this restaurant, i don't mind.

Scott Daly

WOWZERS!! one of my favorite restaurants in all of the bay area. so many great things on the menu i will make time in my schedule to try everything nick puts on it.

these are truly some really great people here and really know what customer service and fantastic food is all about. there is only one problem i have with nick;s on main and it's a really big one- THEY ARE CLOSED ON SUNDAYS AND MONDAYS! BOO! what do you really expect me to do with my free time on those two day nick? i have way too many favorites on the lunch, dinner and dessert menus but please take my advice and try my favorites and as many specials you can.

Panko Crusted Abalone/Lemon Chive Beurre Blanc

Crab Risotto/Braised Leeks/Lemon Beurre Blanc/Touch of Truffle

Lobster Salad/Bacon/Diced Apples/Fennel/Cherry Tomatoes/Tarragon Vinaigrette

Dungeness Crab Melt/Brie Cheese/Aged Balsamic Drizzle

The Lobster B.L.T. & Avocado Sandwich/Roasted Corn Aioli

Nani's Meatloaf/Whipped Potatoes/Sautéed Broccolini/Wild Mushroom Gravy

Loch Duart" Salmon with Dungeness Crab on Top of Lemon Risotto and Sautéed Asparagus Finished with a Touch of Beurre Blanc

Pan Roasted Duck Confit/Creamy Polenta/Sautéed Brussels Sprouts &
    Apple Wood Smoked Bacon/Port Wine Infused Apricots

Pan Roasted Pheasant Breast/Over A Ragout of Summer Baby Squash & Baby Zucchini/Toy Box Cherry Tomatoes and Finished With A Toasted Sage Cream

Banana Bread Pudding

SAY HELLO TO NICK FOR ME AND ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF THIS VERY UNDERRATED BAY AREA DINING EXPERIENCE.