Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 98%Business Travelers
- 79%Adventure Travelers
- 71%Budget Travelers
- 69%Family Travelers
- 68%Luxury Travelers
- 51%Spiritual Seekers
Member Reviews (42)Write a review
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersFoodies+ 4Jan 22, 2014
This is the airport LAX should follow, nature gas bus, subway system, and walking distance to rental car structure. This one always seem improvement. MIles better than LAX just about in any area except airfare.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsFoodies+ 2Dec 29, 2013
SJC airport doesn't look as fancy as its sister SFO. However, I still choose this airport over SFO every time I could. San Jose doesn't have the same fog problem as San Francisco so the chance of your flight getting delayed due to weather condition is much lower. Smaller airport = less traffic + shorter lines = less stress. There are now more direct international flights connecting SJC and there are many renovations in progress. Hopefully in a couple years this airport will get a nice makeover.Recommended for:
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureFoodiesWellness+ 2Nov 14, 2013
They remodeled it a few years ago and its pretty impressive. It has very easy parking right near by and the security line is usually pretty short. Ive never had a problem at this airport- they have a pretty decent selection of restaurants, bars and shopsRecommended for:
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 2Mar 29, 2013
SJC is a lot better now after the renovations! You get through security pretty fast, parking is easy, and the airport is overall easily accesible. The only thing is terminal B's walkway is so far! They should have a middle entrance or at least two entrances! Otherwise I love it here. When I'm here, it means I'm exploring somewhere new!! :D
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureFoodiesAdventure Travelers+ 2Mar 21, 2013
I've been to this airport about 4xs to drop off/pick up my mom & then my friend from so cal. very small airport. my mom told me she didn't like the airport layout. She prefers SFO. Oh yeah, and the signs aren't that noticeable/correct.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)AmbassadorMember ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersFoodies+ 4Feb 28, 2013
SJC airport has made some major improvements over the years. I've been flying out and to this airport frequently since 2000, and now it's remodeled, airy and swanky. Free wifi. The only thing I don't like is how long their terminal is...it seems to take a long time to get from the gate to the baggage claim area.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesJan 13, 2013
San Jose airport is certainly one of my favorites, especially since they reopened the second terminal a couple years back. Flying SouthWest or Alaska is probably the easiest of the bunch and what I usually do, other airlines are less convenient. Only problem I have is the parking prices went up to meet with the larger airports' (i.e. SFO) standards, so if you are going to use long term parking, you're better off going for the out-of-airport parking lot on De La Cruz, for $8 a day with a free shuttle direct to the terminal you can't go wrong.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 11Dec 18, 2013
This place had a facelift recently and it's starting to look really awesome! The waiting area has some cool science exhibits/aquariums for you to look at when you're waiting for your delayed flight.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Oct 19, 2012
- One of the more efficiently run airports I've been to in a long time - from the TSA staff to the well controlled ways the police officers move traffic along, the airport is top-notch; granted, it's small and it'll cost more to fly into. But if one is looking for a better alternate to say, Oakland International or San Francisco International, you just can't beat SJC...
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBusiness TravelersFoodiesSep 27, 2012
San Jose is a small airport with decent service who's main attraction is that it's not San Francisco. It's easier to get in and get out and to pick up a rental car. It has easy access to 101.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersFamily Travelers+ 10Jul 17, 2012
Flying in and out of SJC is less of a hassle compared to larger airports such as LAX, SFO, LAS, etc. In a nutshell, this airport needed a major uplift. Thanks to SJ for investing plenty of renovations, it looks absolutely nicer! I LOVE the new Terminal B!! Parking garage is larger, more vroom, vroom, vroom for cars to drive, pick up and drop off passengers for/from flights!!
TSA exceeded my expectations! If you do an early bird check in aka Southwest, AA, etc. You can just drop your luggage off quickly with the attendants and easily go through security lines that don't snake throughout the terminal area. You have enough time to enjoy hanging out at the airport's restaurants, mini bars, and shops.
Although, not much shopping here unless you consider stopping at The Hudson for a small read of their magazines. However, Peet's would be a good choice if you're still groggy for a morning flight. Grab a nice cup of coffee or tea! Unless you're off to Vegas or Miami, maybe a cocktail or beer at The Brit, while watching the news or sports while waiting for your flight, can make the time go by a lot quicker before partying it up in style!
Did I mention, they offer FREE WiFi? Yes! Of course, we're in the heart of Silicon Valley. Many tech companies in the Bay Area. For those who are always busy with work and on the go, don't fret my fellow yelpers. While waiting for your flight, you can sit down with your laptop and plug it into a power outlet on the side of your seat!! How cool is that?!
Downside to SJC...ticket prices to fly in/out from here is a little bit steep as opposed to SFO or OAK but the extra dollars is worth the trip! Happy travels Gogobots! =)
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 11Jul 05, 2012
San Jose is similar to Oakland in size and format. You have the old terminal with all the airlines except Southwest, and it is small and cramped; then you have the newer terminal that is all Southwest. It is also similar to OAK (actually worse) in that it is very cramped getting through security. Getting to it and to rental parking is a rate maze.
American Airlines tried to make SJC their hub about 10 years ago, with flights to Tokyo and stop over flights to connect in the west. They backed off of that quite a bit, so Southwest is the dominant carrier now.
It does have 2 Starbucks, one on each end, and its still under construction to expand a new terminal between the "international" customs and the newer Southwest terminal, but otherwise SJC is a small town like airport out of place in the Hi-Tech Silicon Valley
Now that it has completed the new building, San Jose has some breathing room near the gates and is a more pleasant experience, but it is still a bit shy in amenities compared to other airports.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersBusiness Travelers+ 2Jul 05, 2012
Apart from the strange artwork on the side of the parking garage, the SJ airport has gone through some significant improvements over the last few years. The new terminal is incredibly nice. I don't know if this has become standard for all of the gates, but in the Southwest area at least, there are outlets at every seat. I'm also pretty sure that there's free WiFi (yay!). Haven't been to what is now the older part of the airport in a while now, but that part was never really bad. I just really love the new terminal.
Sure, the airport isn't as big as some of the other airports of the world, but when I don't to fight other people for outlets, I'm not one to complain.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsFoodies+ 5Jul 05, 2012
SJC went under some major renovations almost 2 years ago, and it is SO much nicer than before! LOVE Terminal B (Delta, Southwest, Alaska/Horizon)!
Checking in and going through security here has always been a breeze, so that hasn't changed, but now I actually enjoy hanging out at the airport before my flight.
The airport isn't huge, so you don't need to get here super early before your flight. But if you find yourself waiting, you can get coffee at either Espressamente Illy (fancy!), Peet's or Starbucks, drinks at Santa Cruz Wine Bar (featuring 5 local wineries), Shark's Cage or The Brit (yes, there's a Britannia Arms here), and food at Mojo Burger, San Jose Joe's, Una Mas, Pizza My Heart and more...
And don't you hate it when you need to charge up your phone or laptop and there's only one outlet at each gate that 5 people are fighting over? You won't have to deal with that here anymore because each seat is equipped with a power outlet. SO cool. Plus there's free Wi-Fi throughout the airport.
Getting picked up at Terminal B Arrivals is also so much easier. Flying does NOT have to be stressful, and they've proved that here.
Good job, SJC!
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Dec 18, 2013
This is the best airport I've found so far. It is small yet large. It dosen't feel crowded at all and is quite modern. The only small issue I have is that public transportation to the airport is not straight forward, most likely needing you to take a taxi or get a ride from a friend. Rates can be slightly higher also, but it's worth it instead of taking an extra hour being at crowded SFO.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 7First to ReviewJul 04, 2012
This place is much better than it used to be.....my bags no longer get sent to the wrong baggage claim - but instead my security line starts in the car park. Is that truly a fair trade off? I don't know?
And there's no food to speak of in the non ticket section - WTH....I get hungry waiting for people too. And just to think that there's Cinnabon on the other side of the metal detector. RAGE!!!!
And at the bridge section - who is the genius who came up with the idea to have people cross zig zag like to get to the metal detectors?
As for the rest of the place - it's still a work in progress I hope....the international section isn't done yet, however when it is they better make another car park to house all the new traffic. Sucks to live in that area though with all the plane noise.
Such is progress?
Nearby HotelsView all Nearby Hotels
Nearby RestaurantsView all Nearby Restaurants
Aliases: SJC, San Jose International Airport - Norman Y. Mineta