Old Bridge Gelateria

Viale dei Bastioni di Michelangelo 5, 00192 Rome, Italy

Steve Sim
    5 May 20, 2014

After spending a good part of the morning at the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. I was suppose to meat my family at St. Peter's Square.
    My aunt who lives in Rome and works for the Vatican, gave me a tip. After seeing the museum, go across the street and get a gelato at the Old Bridge.

Being a good nephew, I happy complied.
    OMG, Not only is it good, they give you a lot of it.
    I don't speak any Italian, a little dribble here and there.
    I knew I was getting pistachio but for the second one I was stumped. I saw this vibrant red gelato and asked what it was, The guy said Fragola. What is that? It looked good so I got it. 2 giant scoops on a sugar cone. YES!!

I walked to St. Peter's Square with this ginormous ice cream cone (on a hot day) and everyone I encountered wanted to know where I got it. lol

I see my aunt and asked here "What is Fragola?" Strawberry. lmao.
    Even better. lol

I hope you have as good a time as I did munching on your ice cream cone walking around Rome =)

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBudget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodies
    Erin K
    5 May 07, 2014

Yes, it's in every guidebook, but for a good reason: Old Bridge has, by far, the best gelato in Rome. It can be a bit of a hike since it's right next to the Vatican, but you're going to need it with the colossal sizes they serve you. I was a huge fan of the pistachio, as well as the classic stracciatella. There is often a long line but it will go quickly, and is well worth the brief wait.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Massimo G
    5 Sep 30, 2013
    Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodies
    Kevin Cheng
    5 Apr 06, 2013

Old Bridge is a great value, for 1.5 euros you get a "small" but it's a massive two scooper. The gelato is above average, not as good as Grom or Flor but certainly stands heads and shoulders above your run of the mill gelateria.

Cory M
    5 Oct 14, 2013

Whether you are coming or going from your Rome for the Holidays vacation rental, you can stop and enjoy ice cream at any time of the day!

Stephanie Phan
    5 May 27, 2013

Old Bridge is walking distance from the Vatican, so it'd be ideal to plan coming here before or after visiting the Vatican. My favorite gelateria remains Frigidarium, but Old Bridge is comparable. It's slightly cheaper than Frigidarium but you aren't able to get your gelato dipped in chocolate. Try the hazelnut and pistachio!

Alex
    5 Aug 03, 2014

While Giolitti is closer to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, Old Bridge is by far my favorite gelaterie in Rome. Close to the Vatican, Old Bridge does a hazelnut (nocciola) and rice (riso) gelato that will make you want to move to Rome.

Kyoko Natalia
    5 Oct 08, 2012

After atending mass at the Vatican I walked a few steps to the expected moment to arrive at Old Bridge. The were about 5 persons before me. The Italian ragazzo who served my gelato was so nice and even tried to speak Spanish. It is incredible how with £2 you can almost reach heaven. A cone, caramel, nocciola and pistacho gelato finishing with some panna is what I need to be happy.

Bridgette
    5 Aug 21, 2012

This place is AMAZING!! Right before heading into St. Peters Square stop and enjoy a gelato from here. The shop is tucked away right beside the walls of the Vatican. It's the best in all of Rome! It's cheap as well. If there's a line stay... It goes fast and I promise it's worth it! The ones that have fruit in it like strawberry and banana melt in your mouth.

Susan Lee

Located halfway along the wall of the Vatican Museum, Old Bridge is a great place to stop for some gelato. This was the largest and cheapest gelato I had during my week in Italy (and I had gelato every day). Even with the small size you get to choose 3 different flavors! The staff understands English fairly well too.

• Old Bridge GelateriaCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane

Great texture and friendly enough service, Old Bridge is one of the more talked-about gelaterie in Rome. Not surprisingly, there's often a crowd in front. I opted to go on a rainy day, and there was still a five minute wait. I had the dark chocolate and the pistachio. Both were good, but I felt they could've had a bit more flavor. Still, it's some of the best gelato I've had.

MP Tiufekchiev, Esq.

Best Gelato in Rome! Just outside Vatican wall. About halfway between Cipro and Ottaviano Metro stations, quick walk from either.

sumaya alyahya
    5 Jun 02, 2013

the best gelato in roma ♥♡

Jennifer Piazza

Worth the walk from anywhere in the city. Definitely the best gelato I've ever had.

One of the most talked-about gelato shops in Rome, Old Bridge sits just outside of the Vatican, making the Holy See slightly more divine. Expect to wait in a line, as this gelateria is a popular place.

180 people visited Old Bridge Gelateria