Old Fisherman's Grotto

39 Fishermans Wharf, Monterey, CA 93940

• Old Fisherman's GrottoCommunity ManagerPro 2014

Must try the clam chowder in the bread-bowl! Award winning for years and you will know why after you've tasted it!

Recommended for:FoodiesFamily Travelers
  • Old Fisherman's GrottoPro 2014

In the cutthroat arena of Monterey Fishermen's Wharf eating establishments, bypass the barkers and samples and proceed directly to OFG. As indicated by others, their clam chowder can't be beat. In fact, all I had was a clam (large) bowl! Our waitress was sparkly and responsive, despite our modest order. I will be back!

• Old Fisherman's Grotto

The food here is great, the ambiance is a little old school for my taste, but the service was friendly and the quality of the food was really good. I had a combo plate, the highlight of which was the dungeness crab. I should have just ordered that by itself and I would have been happy! I didn't try it, but reports were that the clam chowder was as good as advertised. As a nice touch at the end of the night, they bring you a rose with the check. The interior is dark with lots of booths and low lighting, it reminded me of a very dated steak house. There is a view of the water, but we were there for a late dinner so the sun had already set, we didn't really see much of anything outside.

They also have a casual booth right outside so you can grab some chowder to go if you don't want to commit to a full sit-down meal.

Note to parents: this restaurant makes it fairly obvious from the start that they are not child-friendly. There is a big sign at the hostess stand that says "no booster seats, no high chairs, no strollers" followed by a long paragraph about how crying children are a distraction to other customers. We did see one infant there while we were eating, so they won't refuse you service, but we also didn't hear any noise from that baby, so who knows what would have happened if the baby had been crying.

• Old Fisherman's Grotto

The clam chowder here is juuust right!

Walking down the wharf is an experience only Goldilocks can truly understand. Every restaurant is offering a sample of their supposedly famous and award-winning clam chowder. Some are too buttery, some have an overwhelming bacon taste, some lack potatoes, some are too thick... who knew making clam chowder was such a science?

And a science that Old Fisherman's Grotto has truly perfected. Trust me, I know. We tried every single sample on the wharf (by that time, I was truly almost full). The clam chowder here has the perfect amount of clams at the perfect creaminess.

Unfortunately, the other food we ordered were disappointing (linguini isabella, seafood puttanesca, macadamia encrusted halibut, deep fried cheesecake). The calamari was ok, but nothing special. If you don't like coconut, stay away from the coconut shrimp, where the coconut flakes completely overwhelm the taste of the shrimp. If you must dine in the restaurant, I would recommend the pesto parmesan salmon, which was by far the best entree we had.

I will definitely be back, but only for the chowder in a sourdough bread bowl, which apparently, if you order at the walk up counter outside, is cheaper (compared to the $10.95 for dine-in).

• Old Fisherman's Grotto

In my experience, we think the owner is rude and inhuman with no manner. My family and I were kicked out in the middle of our lunch because our 16 months old baby shouted at one point. I saw other online reviews that they insulted to other families with babies in similar situation. They can't accept reasonable noises come from babies and yet continue seating people with babies.
    We waited almost an hour outside, got the table with highchair, ordered food and started having appetizers. Our baby shouted at one point for less than 1 min because we took something he was biting. My son wasn't crying continuously or disturbing other people. In about 10 minutes, the owner came over to us and said that he won't allow baby noises in his dining room, control the baby or move to the back of the restaurant for our lunch. I was surprised and offended but I told him my son is less than 2 years old and barely made noise, we are doing our best but he can't expect the baby follow all of our commands. The guy keeps insisting. I finally asked him if he wants us to leave and he said yes with straight face.
    Because it is in fisherman's wharf, at lunch time it wasn't the quiet place. We are not sure why the owner is so mean without manner and insulting to customers with babies. There are more than one families experienced similar situation. Don't support a place like this.

• Old Fisherman's Grotto

Mmm... dungeness crab with drawn butter. The fried calamari and clam chowder are great as well, which is surprising considering how touristy the place is. They really try hard to be accommodating, and the staff is very nice.

• Old Fisherman's Grotto

Amazing clam chowder (probably the best I've ever had), and a good selection of entrees. The views of the harbor from the Grotto are some of the best on the wharf, and the service is always excellent. One of their nice touches is that at the end of the night every lady get's a single rose.

• Old Fisherman's Grotto

I am sure they have other food that could equally kill you but the clam chowder is worth dying for. Oh, what I would go through to get this clam chowder...through the cold, the rain, what ever the poor Monterey weather can bring upon my head. I will walk the distance to get a pint of this heavenly artery clogger. hmmmmmm I might just drive there in the morning for a taste of it. It's great...oh soo good. When I stay in the area...I like to stay at Hotel Pacific just so I could be closer to it. Apparently now they sell the stuff canned. LMAO CHOWDER CHOWDER CHOWDER!!!

and sometimes there's otters outside
    ;D

• Old Fisherman's Grotto

Tell your waiter you're a 'Local Resident' and order off the Discounted Menu!

super

• Old Fisherman's Grotto

Great service and great food! :)

Recommended for:Local CultureFoodiesLuxury Travelers