Trip Plan Details
- Fergburger42 Shotover Street, Queenstown Town Centre 9300, New Zealand
- The Roxy Cinema5 Park Road, Miramar, Wellington, New Zealand
- Hobbiton Movie Set and Farm Tours501 Buckland Road, Matamata, New Zealand
- Air Milford1 Tex Smith Lane, Queenstown Airport 9300, New Zealand
- Whale Watch KaikouraRailway Station Road, Christchurch, CAN 8280 New Zealand
- Kepler Mountain View130 Hillside Manapouri Road, 9643, New Zealand
- The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co585 Waitomo Caves Road, Otorohanga, New Zealand
- RouteburnNew Zealand
recommended QueenstownYou should definitely go to the South island and visit this place. Also, from here you can go to Invercargill and Dunedin too.Lydia M
You should definitely go to the South island and visit Queenstown! Also, from here you can go to Invercargill and Dunedin too.
- Cable Car280 Lambton Quay, Wellington, WGN 6001 New Zealand
- Shotover Canyon Swing37 Shopover Street, 9371, New Zealand
- AJ Hackett Bungy QueenstownCrn of Camp and Shotover Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
- Cuba StreetCuba Street, Wellington, WGN 6011 New Zealand
- Luge Add to trip Brecon St, Queenstown 9348, New Zealand
- Puzzling World188 Wanaka Luggate Hwy 84, Wanaka 9382, New Zealand
- Lake TekapoLake Tekapo 7999, New Zealand
- Viaduct HarbourViaduct Harbour, Auckland, New Zealand
- The Weta Cave1 Weka Street, Miramar, Wellington 6022, New Zealand
recommended South IslandI have to say it is unlike anything I've ever seen before. There is something incredibly majestic about the south island's mostly untouched natural beauty. It really is magical! I can see why they use ... read moreit in films to depict places that are other worldly.Yogic Traveler
And of course the entire South Island!
recommended WellingtonNothing like your average capital city full of big government buildings. Wellington is beautiful and lively! Even from the little time I spent there I could tell Wellington is somewhere I would love ... read moreto live! The only exception for me was that it was chilly there even in summer. But still I really loved the vibe! Wellington is definitely one of my favorite cities!Yogic Traveler
I really loved Wellington!
- Te Papa Tongarewa55 Cable Street, Wellington, WGN 6011 New Zealandrecommended Te Papa TongarewaLoved it! This museum has so much information about the Maori and New Zealand's history and colonization.Yogic Traveler
Excellent muesum if you are interest in leaning more about Maori culture and polynesian history.
recommended Tongariro National ParkTongariro National Park is New Zealand's oldest national park and a must-do while visiting the North Island. You will find volcanic peaks, emerald lakes, and really amazing views. The Tongariro ... read moreCrossing is the most popular one-day "tramp" in the country. About 12 miles long, the hike is completely exhausting, but well worth it. Prepare for huge climate variations and prearrange transportation to return you to your starting carpark.
recommended Fox GlacierAfter a sunrise stroll near Lake Matheson (great photo opportunities if weather is good), try the restaurant nearby (we had both breakfast and a sunset dinner there) and then walk up to view Fox ... read moreGlacier from the south trail. It is a 60 min walk each direction through a nice trail, over several bridges and ends with a fantastic view over the glacier. The second option is the 20 min, more common tourist trail, that brings you up to the Glacier (and if you want a guided tour - also on the Glacier). Worth a nice full day in the area!
- Skyline GondolaBrecon Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
- Shotover Jet (Queenstown)Shotover Jet Queenstown Gorge Rd, Arthurs Point New Zealand
- Lake WakatipuQueenstown
recommended Elephant Rocks, New ZealandThe Elephant Rocks near Duntroon are a very cool place to stop on the way to Oamaru. In the middle of farmland are grey rocks that are look a bit like elephants from the distance. Its a nice place to ... read morestop and climb, as the rocks are oddly shaped and have lots of hand and foot holds. If I remember correctly, you can stop near a church (the only one in Duntroon) and get directions. The entire town is like 8 buildings so its not hard to find where to ask.Recommended for:Nitzan Wilnai
Great place. This is a short stop on the way down to Oamaru. You should definitely stop there on the way down from Mount Cook.
recommended Milford SoundMilford Sound is another typical New Zealand location where there are very few things to do. If you are not into cruises or extremely long hikes then don't bother going. There really isn't much to do ... read morethere otherwise. We didn't feel like going on a long hike, nor did we want to brave the rough water for a cruise. It did not help that the weather was terrible with 80+km/h winds.Recommended for:Nitzan Wilnai
Great place, but if you don't like boats or get sea sick don't even bother going. There is NOTHING to see if you are not willing to get on a boat. When we were there they had 60mph+ winds, so be aware that crappy weather can affect your trip. That's why an RV is recommended so you can change your plans in an instant and not be bound by pre-reserved hotels. That said, if you are planning on going during Xmas/New Years note that the RV parks do fill up during the holidays!
recommended Lake PukakiProbably the most beautiful place I saw in New Zealand. Lake Pukaki is just amazing. The color of the water is unreal. Definitely worth going to New Zealand just to see this lake.Recommended for:Nitzan Wilnai
Same as Lake Tekapo, on the way to Mount Cook.
recommended Lake TekapoLake Tekapo (and Pukaki) are both the most beautiful lakes I have ever seen. It is worth it going to New Zealand just to see these two lakes.Recommended for:Nitzan Wilnai
Hit these as you head to Mount Cook. You'll want to visit Mount Cook either on your way down, or on your way back to Chirstchurch. If you are in an RV plan on both and then decide based on the weather.
recommended OamaruGreat little town. The highlight is to see the Yellow Eyes and Blue penguins. The blue penguins require a reservation and unfortunately no cameras are allowed. You can see dozens of them climb out of ... read morethe water. The yellow eyed penguins can only be viewed from far away, so bring binoculars or a telephoto camera. They are fairly rare and you'll be luck to see even one. Still a very cool sight to behold. We also went on the Elm Tours which picked us up from the Top10. We got to see and photograph plenty of blue penguins and yellow eyes penguins.Recommended for:Nitzan Wilnai
You should hit this place as you go down to the Catlins You can see Penguins here, but note that they don't allow cameras for the Blue Penguins which is very annoying (they only come out at night and the flash destroys their eyes).
recommended Catlins Forest ParkEasily the best location in the South Island, The Catlins offer everything: waterfalls, beaches, forest hikes and plenty of penguins dolphins, sea lions and seals.Recommended for:Nitzan Wilnai
This is THE place to go in all of New Zealand. The Catlins is the most beautiful and easiest to see place in all of New Zealand. You can see amazing waterfalls 5 minutes from the road.
On a more general note, You only have two weeks which isn't enough to see even half of the South Island. I would only cover the bottom half, from the Catlins to Mount Cook. Taken an RV.
recommended Lake MathesonFor the perfect reflection picture come here very early before the ducks wake up and start swimming around You should also come during the afternoon for some good sunset photo opportunities...Recommended for:
- Mueller HutNew Zealandrecommended Mueller HutAn amazing 2 days route which basically consists of a day climbing up Sealy Range to the hut which is at 1800 meters (nearly half as high as Mount Cook's summit), Watching the sunrise and then going ... read moreback down. Its not an easy route so make sure you're in shape (its a pretty steep climb)Recommended for:
- Minus 5 Ice BarSteamer Wharf, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
- Cinema Paradiso1 Ardmore Street, Wanaka 9305, New Zealandrecommended Cinema ParadisoIf you're in Wanaka you have to visit this awesome movie theater! You get to sit on comfy old sofas instead of regular theater seats and on the break they make huge chocolate chip cookies.Recommended for:
- Nomad Safaris37 Shotover Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
- YHA Wanaka Purple Cow94 Brownston St, Wanaka 9305, New Zealandrecommended YHA Wanaka Purple CowHad a great time staying here...Recommended for:
- Abel Tasman National ParkAbel Tasman National Park, c/o NZ Post, Takaka 7183, New Zealand
- Tutto Bene Boardwalk Building Hospital Street, Gallows Bay St. Croix US Virgin Islands 00820