Orpheum Theatre

445 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA, United States

Donna H
    5 Apr 18, 2014

Musicals galore. I love the Orpheum! There is no bad seat. I watched Avenue Q, Book of Mormon, The Light in the Piazza, Wicked, and Mamma Mia here. Love love love it. Also attended Mamma Mia on a VIP ticket, so that was nice. Drinks + theatre jumbo size candy. HECK YES!

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversLocal CultureNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Daniel L.
    5 Mar 26, 2014

My favorite of the large theatres in San Francisco. Lovely inside and out. If felt like I saw Phantom of the Opera from virtually every location and each seat was fantastic. Looking forward to my next visit.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversHistory BuffsLocal CultureLuxury Travelers
  • Orpheum TheatreCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane
    5 Aug 09, 2013

The Orpheum Theatre is San Francisco’s spot for large production musicals. It was here that I saw Wicked when it was passing through. The interior of the theatre is beautiful; it’s classic and elegant. The location of the place is central enough to downtown where a casual and comfortable walk can get you there and back.

The crowd coming to the Orpheum is correspondingly classy. Buy a few tickets and dress up, and make it the highlight of your classy night out. Just be sure not to head into the Tenderloin after you leave.

For classy ladies and men who still keep it real, the Powell Metro MUNI Station is your best bet. The Orpheum is located just a few blocks down Market St. from the Westfield San Francisco Centre. Several other MUNI lines like the 5, 6, 71 and F-line tram cars run along this path as well. Like I said: it’s very central!

Recommended for:Local Culture
    Chandra Murphy
    5 Nov 19, 2012

I love this old theater. I saw Yule Brenner in "The King and I" on that stage when I was a child, and I more recently saw "Wicked". The theater is ornately decorated, so it's fun to look around while you wait for the show, and every seat is a good one.

Alea G.
    5 Sep 11, 2012

I love the Orpheum Theater. This theater holds some wonderful memories as I've seen some of my favorite musicals within those walls.

Sure, its location in the Civic Center/Tenderloin area puts it in a not-so-great location, but it's still an absolutely gorgeous theater on the inside. The seats are pretty good, and I don't think I've ever had an experience in the theater where I've had particularly bad seats.

It's also an easy theater to get to. Parking at either the Civic Center or Hastings lots are convenient, within walking distance, and relatively cheap for SF parking. It also sits right outside of a BART station, so there's also that.

Koji Kawano

One of the most popular theatres in San Francisco. They've housed many of touring productions of the Broadway shows. Very historic building and decor is beautiful. Location is not fantastic, though Muni and BART is right out the door. By location, I meant bars and restaurants. They are about 15-minute walk to the theatre.

Scott Daly

I was so lucky enough to see The Phantom of the opera years ago here and it was a very memorable experience. Everything about this place is so beautiful it rally makes me feel like i'm a very important VIP inside. I really hope I can get back out for a special occasion some day to see another show here because it's a sight to see for sure inside and out.

David L.

not the best area @ the civic center on Market st. the theater is a tad old. but the seats are adequate and the decor is definitely grand old theater. saw Wicked and Avenue Q here, both fun shows. the crowd is a mixed bag, the eclectic mix you'd expect in SF, from hipsters to the suit and tie folk and everything in betw. def don't need to dress up to go here though.

Eric Brink

Gayle and I are at a point in our relationship that we have enough "things" and that gifts that are "experiences" are more appreciated. Last year for our birthdays, we gave each other theater tickets. She took me to American Idiot then we took a crowded BART train into the City so I could take her to see Wicked.

If you come up one particular stairway from Civic Center BART, the Orpheum is right there. I love these old and charming theatres, and we enjoyed hanging out in the lobby over a few drinks before the production started.

We both very much enjoyed the play. And at almost 3 hours (with intermission), the production flowed nicely and was complimented by great staging, strong performances, and a well-written story. Our only concern was the unclear sound during the opening number and a some obstructed vision on the right side of the main floor. The screens on the balcony that showed the conductor for the benefit of the performers was also interesting look back entertainment. The seats were also comfortable enough and leg room was fine.

Verlisia

I adore this theater. Watched Wicked here a week ago and I was in love. The seats and the layout certainly was not as nice as some of the newer theater. The bathroom line was incredibly long. (Use the downstairs bathroom instead. Way less crowded.) The loge underbelly overshadow on the Orchestra was annoying.

Even then my experience at this theater was still memorable. Maybe it was precisely the imperfections that made this place perfect. Just like everything else in life. After all, who could really love a perfect being?

Nam Nguyen

Wow, wow, wow. The bf and I just watched "Wicked" last night and I think it sealed the deal for me to give the Orpheum a Big-High-5 stars.

We arrived at the theatre just in the nick of time to be seated for the show to start. The usher guided us down to our fabulous seat and the show was on its way. Again, I was so impressed with the beauty of the theatre (moldings, architecture, chandelier, etc.) But this time, I felt that the structure of the building lent itself so beautifully to carry the sound of the musical. As for the limited legroom, I guess it never bothers me bc I'm pretty short.

At intermission, we grabbed a drink and didn't have to wait more than 2 minutes in line. Wow, can those bartenders get a line moving! My vodka tonic was deluxe----all vodka with barely a smidgen of tonic! Woo-woo!

Jessica Abramson
    5 Jul 03, 2012

GORGEOUS theatre! Beautiful architecture and very comfortable seats. Take any available opportunity to visit the Orpheum.

James H
    5 May 27, 2013

Theatre district SF. Great place to see a show.

Nan Winshwe

4 Aug 18, 2011
    MillerLite89
    5 Jun 30, 2012

4,624 people visited Orpheum Theatre

The Orpheum Theatre is where you want to go to watch a show while sitting in a room that looks like a 12th century palace in Spain. They were once known for the vaudeville shows and silent films that were run there. The newly-renovated theatre is the place to go if you are interested in watching large scale Broadway productions. There is no dress code, so you can be comfortable while you watch the ... read more
show of your choice. There is parking available nearby and several local restaurants offer discounts to patrons who show a ticket stub.

The Westin St. Francis