Osteria Mamma

5732 Melrose Ave, Hollywood, CA 90038

• Osteria MammaPro 2014
    Re becca
    2 Apr 17, 2014

I told my best friend i wanted to try Osteria Mozza, and he mixed it up and found MAMMA Instead.. we were 10 minutes late and had our taken away, the restaurant was packed full of people, so it gave me some hope that it'll be a good night.

I was very veryyyy please, in fact the best dish of the night was my appetizer! Brutta cheese on top of grilled egg plant and heirloom tomatoes! it was fannnntastic! I ate 3 out of the 5 that was served and would probably exchanged my entree and dessert for more of that brutta cheese! nom nom!!

aside from that, the rest of the meal including the tiramisu was just okay! Service was great, they take away every used item as soon as we put it on the table!

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    5 Jun 15, 2013

Any place where the food is prepared by a sweet elderly person, I automatically fall in love. The pastas are all made by hand by "Mamma," and accordingly are super fresh and delicious! Try their squid ink pasta - it tastes like the ocean!

Molly Matthieson
    4 Oct 13, 2012

Osteria Mamma is a great neighborhood Italian restaurant. Mamma is low key and charming, and her pastas and pizzas are simple but authentic. Get anything... go hungry.

mike
    3 Sep 13, 2012

As the saying goes no one wants to eat at and empty restaurant and this place was completely opposite. I took a peak inside and the place was packed! So I quickly made reservations for two.

We ordered the calamari as an appetizer and my date ordered the salad with the shrimp. I ordered the pork, veal bolognese. The calamari was not as crispy as I wanted it to be, but the bolognese was to die for. The noodles were cooked just right and the sauce was thick and hearty. I took a bite of my dates salad and it wasn't anything special - but then again it's just a salad and I'm just a guy eating the salad.

travel33
    4 Aug 08, 2012

We had a http://restaurants.com $25 gift certificate which led us to Osteria Mamma. This place is a hidden gem. It's on Melrose between Vine and Gower which isn't the part of Melrose most people go to but this place is worth the detour. The restaurant is located on the corner of Melrose/Lucerne and there is free street parking.

When you walk in you are immediately greeted by their friendly staff. Our server was from Italy with accent and all. Having an Italian server makes the whole Italian dining experience so much more legit. You immediately get a loaf of bread with some sort of tomato dipping sauce. It was different then the usual olive oil dip so I enjoyed it. They have a chalk board with the daily specials, I saw that they had mushroom risotto which I love so I immediately knew what I was having. I also had a bite of the Gnocchi del Boscaiolo and it was delicious. It had ham and white mushroom in a cream sauce. They told me their specialty is their homemade pasta so I will definitely go back to try it.

I totally enjoyed the service and food and I'm so happy I found another great Italian restaurant in the local area.

Kip Stolberg

Nice Italian restaurant on Melrose. We've only been once but the menu has a nice balance of pasta, pizza and antipasto. The wine selection was huge. It is also kid friendly if that is something you are looking for.

Broke Girl's Guide

#BeOut #BeStuffed

Nobody does spaghetti better than Mamma. The old Osteria la Buca used to be a favorite date spot of ours back when it was a tiny 5 table room and Mamma was in the kitchen, and so we were thrilled when Osteria Mamma finally opened. It's not a cheap spot, per se, but you could split an app, a pasta, and an entree (more than enough food) for around $40 total. They don't have any super cheap bottles of wine, but the ones they have in the $38 range are worth it. Or, there's always the $12 corkage fee.

BrokeGirlsGuide.com

Michelle Chan

Great authentic italian food. However, the noise level was unbearable. Go early.

Tim C
    4 Feb 10, 2014

398 people visited Osteria Mamma

Moderate$$

Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm

Hollywood Historic Hotel