Pa Ord Noodle

5301 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA

Billy
    4 Jan 27, 2014

In a nutshell: Great Thai for cheap prices.

Parking: They have a free parking lot. It was pretty full when we came in the evening.

Food:
    Small #1 with pho type noodles - not spicy. My guest said it tasted good.
    They ran out of the crispy pork. So sad.
    I ordered their pad thai. Yummy. This was one of the best Pad Thai that I have ever eaten. That is typically my go-to dish whenever I eat Thai. So, therefore, my tummy has eaten a few Pad Thai.
    My guest ordered their fried rice. Combination with both chicken and pork.
    It was decent. Not sure what was off maybe asking for both types of meat.

My guests were a bit disappointed when they both couldn't get Thai iced tea. They said that they ran out of condensed milk. Their response - run across the street to 99 cent store and get some. Oh wells. Since this was not the first time our server came back stating either missing an ingredient or no more of a specific food item, we had a good laugh.

Overall: Great thai food. Must come back to try their specialty crispy pork.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodies
  • Pa Ord Noodle
    Connie Pistilli
    4 Jul 09, 2013

Yummy, authentic and cheap Thai food. Service is super friendly. Loved their Boat Noodles, which is what they're known for. Wonderful flavors and spices.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodies
    Re becca
    3 May 24, 2014

My boyfriend's brother LOVES this place and was raving about how he would dine there for lunch every single week ! So when after Watching The Amazing Spider man 2, we decided to check it out in Thai Town !

The place is at a corner in a pretty ghetto neighborhood, its a bit of a whole in wall. Pa Ord apparently means Boat- which means the lady that opened the restaurant use to serve her noodles from a boat in Thaliand!

I love pad thai and sadly to say I wasn't so thrill that my Pad Thai was overly sweetened and seasoned. A bit too sour for my taste but Ive had a lot worse before!

Natalie K
    4 May 05, 2013

Apparently there are a lot of Pa Ord fans and there is a huge debate between Pa Ord and Ord Hoyka fans about which one is better. I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for this but I have to say that I definitely like Hoyka better than Pa Ord even though they supposedly use the same recipe from the original Ord restaurant in Thailand. Hoyka's flavor just appeals to me more, although both are pretty good.

Pa Ord is known for their boat noodle, tom yum noodle, and crispy pork dishes. I like the crispy pork and basil stir fry. It comes with a chili mixture, basil leaves, string beans and crispy pork.

Be careful with the spiciness level. Even the medium spicy level is pretty darn spicy. I'm Thai and comparing to other Thai restaurants, they really go heavy on the chili.

They take cash only and they close pretty early compared to Hoyka. Pa Ord isn't that busy most of the time so there isn't much of a wait. You do get more quantity of food here though.

I honestly would say skip this place and go 2 blocks down to Ord Hoyka. They are always packed and their dishes are amazing.

• Pa Ord Noodle
    Jennifer
    5 Jan 05, 2013

My friends are regulars here, and you definitely know why once you try this place. Their style of cooking is more "home" style and NOT AMERICANIZED. It's a small restaurant on Sunset Blvd, pretty close to the block of hospitals like Children's Hospital LA or Kaiser Permanente.

Be forewarned that "mild" is incredibly spicy. If you can stomach spicy, you'll love this place even more. If you can't take spicy, ask for NOT spicy and add your own spices that they have on the table. You wouldn't believe how many people I've seen not even eat half of their order because it was WAY TOO SPICY!

Their dishes are incredibly affordable; small bowl of noodles being $3.50 and rice dishes about $6. The last time I came, we ordered two small bowls or soup noodles and a rice dish with crispy pork and Chinese broccoli and the bill was $14.50.

Dishes that I've liked:
    -Tom yum
    -Boat noodles
    -Rice with crispy pork and Chinese broccoli

Things you should know:
    -It's cash only, and there's an ATM inside this shop
    -Don't be surprised either if solicitors come in to sell you things like handmade flower pieces or Thai desserts.
    -The parking lot is tiny and can get crowded, so you might need to look for street parking
    -MILD = SPICY ;)