Paiche

13470 Maxella Ave, Los Angeles, California

• Paiche
    Richard Knapp
    5 Aug 05, 2014

We were recommended to go to Paiche for dinner. Marnie was our waitperson, and we turned the night over to her ... great choices, great service! (everyone is super knowledgeable on the food, drinks, etc.)

Here is what we had:

Drinks
    Spicy Watermelon Margarita - BEYOND great. Got at the bar, then got also served at the table.

Ensaladas
    Paiche Lettuce Wrap - Amazon fish, Anticucho miso marinated / crispy sweet potato. One of the favorites!

Ceviches
    Yellow Tail on the salt block - would not order again ... not a fav.

Tiraditos
    Wagyu Beef - Seared, black truffle, parmesan sauce. VERY Good! Black truffles were amazing.
    Kampachi - Rocoto Oil, onion garlic dressing, block salt

Frituras
    Yuquitas - Yuca beignets, Manchego Cheese, Grated parmesan cheese. FANTASTIC! Amazing with the sauce it came with.
    Chicarron de Pescado (Fried sushi) - Crispy fish chicharron, lime yuzo aioli. ABSOLUTE FAV! (we ordered a second one)

Grill
    Spatchcocked - Grilled chicken, Panca Moro Miso sauce (One of MY Top 5 Favorite)
    Short Ribs - EXCELLENT!!

Cocina Caliente
    Chaufa de Langosta - Lobster and Fried Rice - VERY tasty!!
    Niman Ranch Pork Belly - Butternut squash puree, pomegranate, pork crackling. Fantastic - LOTS of flavors,

Verduras
    Spinach - Sautéed - Excellent.

Postres (this was a sad way to end)
    Churros - like donut holes ...
    Tapioca - the big plug was no rice, but I am not a fan of Tapioca.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury Travelers
  • PaichePro 2014
    JR C
    4 Feb 11, 2014

The Peruvian food that I know is stir-fry veggies, meat, and french fries, emphasis on the french fries. Not a hint of that at Paiche, but well, we are talking about Peruvian Japanese fusion tapas now, aren't we? While I cannot explain the as-advertised fusion, I know that I indulged and enjoyed mini-plates of fishy Japanese origin (maybe?) with Latin American names (definitely?). You'll like the taste of this place, I guarantee you that.

It wasn't until we were leaving that we noticed the design of the outdoor patio. That breath of fresh air during our meal was due to the entire living room being open and exposed. The 2 best seating areas of the house would easily be on the chef's tables or the patio. In my instance though, we were seated smack down the center. Not too bad though since our table was slightly more elevated than the rest and also next to a vibrant party of 3, ready and willing to match swords in the form of Side Cars ($14) and rums. A pricey proposition, but no less a method to explore into a cocktail menu averaging $12-14 a hand. I wasn't set ablaze by my few chosen drinks, but I also chose to not dive into the 30+ tequila selections. The world isn't ready for that, yet.

DineLA (2013) was the game here, you choose a couple from this menu and a couple from that menu. With a total of 8 tapas dishes coming to our table, we knew we were in for a treat. I'm going to rate and each of our dishes from favorites to least.

-=-From the small menu (order of fave to least)-=-

-Chicharon de Pescado- Each bite gave a solid crisp of chicharron. You won't believe it's fish.

-Seabass Tiradito- Tiniest dish that came, but still packed with lemon-y flavor.

-Albacore Ceviche- More lemon-y than lemon-y seabass. Ceviche is a hot mess anyway so this one was all over the place. After eating this for a bit, you come to appreciate the mix of flavors in this. I started to like the sauce more than the albacore itself.

-Ensalada Rusa- There's a taste in here that wasn't agreeable with my mouth. The creamy sauce on top didn't do this dish any good since most bites were bitter. Peas in cream is the last visual I remember of this.

-=-And then pick 4 from the other menu (order of fave to least)-=-

-Chaufa De Langosta- Do not not order this. Easily the best thing that I ate at Paiche. It might not have been MSG that I was eating, but there was certainly something else addicting that gave this fried rice that pizazz. It's not a fancy fried rice, but was definitely flavorful. Lobster was far and few between, but well...tapas.

-Pacu Ribs- This was the most empowering plate that we received. I didn't know that fish ribs could get so large. This plate was the best for filling up since it was larger than your normal tapas plate.

-Short Ribs- Not a bad plate since every part of this dish was flavorful. It's a teeny amount of meat, but enough for 1 or 2 bites. The mashed potatoes that it relaxed on was good too with a simple creamy texture and flavor.

-Seco De Paiche- Not necessarily horrid, but pales in comparison to the above 3. This is a stew, but nothing stew about it. The fish on top was solid and cooked to a soft consistency. Flavor-wise, it was a bit confusing to the palate since the fish was pulling one direction and the cilantro sauce was pulling another.

Caleb was a great server that was both helpful and attentive. Shouts to our table buddies Jay, Joy, and Renee. We still have that Jazz date we need to plan. Side Car Club forever!

• PaicheCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Oct 16, 2013

Wow Paiche will take Picca on a run for its money. Opened early April of this year, Paiche opened up in the heart of marina del Rey and offer some of the top Peruvian fusion tapas in LA. This is a sister Resturaunt of Picca and Mochica. Must try the waygu beef and UNi toast! Heaven! The yellowtail ceviche is also quite good!

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
  • PaichePro 2014
    Natalie K
    5 Sep 07, 2013

I learned after I already decided and made the reservation that Paiche is owned by the same owners as Mo-Chica and Picca. While I liked Picca quite a bit, Mo-Chica was a little more than disappointing for me. Fortunately my meal at Paiche beats Picca and Mo-Chica by far and actually is one of the best dineLA meals I've had to date

The restaurant is beautifully decorated with an open kitchen and a huge bar. It was nice to be able to see our food and drinks being made.

We got to pick 2 dishes each for the first course and 2 more dishes each from the main course. We finished it off with a choice of dessert each. Every single one of our entrees was amazing. I especially enjoyed the albacore ceviche, seabass taradito, ensalada rusa, chaufa de langosta and pacu ribs. My favorite is the albacore ceviche out of all of those. I do have to say though that the pacu ribs are really unique. it's Amazonian fish ribs that are looked like red meat and it's very hearty. I wasn't eating meat but my friend ordered the short ribs and it was delicious.

The dessert was, unfortunately, not as amazing as our meal. The chocolate tart was good but the chicha raspadilla has a strong spice flavor that was a little overwhelming. Our waiter was very nice and offered to give us another chocolate tart when he noticed that we barely touched the chicha raspadilla. We were full and he even offered to wrap it to go. We didn't take him up on it but it was nice of him.

I ordered the Caipirinha and it was delicious but came out a little too sweet. There was a lot of fruit juices in it. I really like the flavor of the passionfruit but there was too many seeds that was hard to avoid so I ended up drinking a ton of seeds. My friend ordered the Last Ice Age and it was so cute. She also enjoyed her drink.

The regular menu is reasonably priced at about $8 - $15. All the dishes are smaller and are meant to be shared. We were way too full with the 8 dishes. You can easily order 5 dishes to share between 2 people and that would be plenty. I would come back even without dineLA.

• Paiche