Patsy's Pizza

2287 1st Ave, New York, NY 10035

• Patsy's PizzaPro 2014
    Ed Lee
    4 Jun 17, 2014

Patsy's can be found all over Manhattan, but this is the one my company usually orders from for our company pizza parties. They have pretty good NY style thin crust pizza and I love how they'll give you a side of anchovies. Luckily I'm the only one in the office that eats anchovies, so they're all mine. MINE!

I've eaten there a few times for working lunches and they're pastas are pretty good. I'm a philistine so I usually order the Penne alla Vodka. Creamy goodiness. If you're looking for some decent Italian American cooking, you can't go wrong with this place. I wouldn't, however, take a date here to impress her. Who are we kidding? I haven't been on a date in a decade.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodies
    Rosemarie Gambetta
    4 Jan 11, 2013

For the first four years that I lived in Manhattan I didn’t have a favorite pizza place. Sure I had pizza places that I frequented in college (Koronet, anyone? Have you ever seen so much pizza for $2.50?), and had visited Lombardi’s a few times, but I didn’t have anywhere that was really my favorite (aside from my grandmother’s kitchen).

All of that changed when Keith and I moved into an apartment less than two blocks from Patsy’s. Since its transformation from an Italian neighborhood into a Spanish one, there are but a few reminders of the Italian life, food, and culture that used to thrive in East Harlem—the Dance of the Giglio Festival every Autumn, the dim lights of Rao’s casting romantic shadows on Pleasant Ave, and of course, Patsy’s. The one, the only, the original Patsy’s, opened in 1933. They serve thin crust pies cooked to melty perfection in one of the few coal burning ovens in New York, and it is one of the best cheese slices that I have had on this side of the Atlantic.

Though Patsy’s also serves a pretty decent dinner menu, we quickly learned that the Pizzeria portion of the restaurant is open until midnight, and you can get a perfect slice or pie to go in a matter of minutes. Though you can order exactly the same pies al la carte in the dining room (along with a full dinner menu) Keith and I always go to the pizzeria and order our pies direct from the best pizza men in New York. I don’t know if it’s their dough rolling magic hands and the coal burning oven that gets to over 1000 degrees, but this cheese pie, with its blistered crust and melty cheese, tastes like it was actually pulled out of the wood burning oven that is in my cousin’s backyard in Anzio (right outside of Rome).

When we first moved to the neighborhood they didn’t even offer toppings on the pies at the Pizzeria. You had two options: a slice, or a pie, plain and perfect. Now, even with the addition of toppings, they keep it very simple; the pies only come in one size with 8 large slices, and the only single slice you can get is still a plain one. We got two pies, one plain, the other with sausage and portobello mushrooms. Though the toppings are quality ingredients that never over power the pizza, I still think the plain pie is the ultimate pizza masterpiece. The crust, though crispy and crunchy, when under sauce and cheese, is chewy and amazingly light.

In the larger picture, Patsy’s is known as one of the enduring institutions of East Harlem, but in my world, it’s the only place to go for the best slice of pizza in Manhattan, even it’s way before or after dinner time.

Happiness, $25 and under.

For more information about Harlem Eateries and eating local in Harlem, visit Arionna’s blog, Harlem Food Local.

Josh Moody-Arndt

Another one of my favorite pizza spots in New York City. The trip to Harlem gives a distinct atmosphere compared to most of the city's other great pizza spots, which are in more common locations for tourists.

Dan Tracer
    3 Jul 04, 2012

Patsy’s is super cheap, and quite tasty. It’s not my favorite spot to grab a pie in the city, but the price makes it a go-to when I’m in the area. In any other city this would be the best pizza, but in NY its just good.

Maor Chasen
    3 Jul 04, 2012

A great Italian cuisine restaurant, located in the upper east side right next to Harlem. The food is really great, and I would recommend the pizzas. They're the last scream. Another thing to point out is the kind service that I got here, In overall it's a great place to eat Italian food.

Gabriel

Patsy's Pizzeria is one of New York City's prime chains, especially in terms of Italian Food. Here you'll find some of Manhattan's best pizza and pasta dishes. Highly recommended are the penne with vodka and the Margherita pizzas.

Emily Palan
    5 Mar 06, 2014

The best pizza I've ever had! Fast delivery too

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureVegetarianFamily Travelers
    Chanel Speedy
    5 Mar 03, 2014

The best pizza. I can eat a whole pie by myself. I rarely share my Patsy's pizza :-)

• Patsy's PizzaPro 2014
    Julia P
    4 Oct 15, 2013

Patsy's makes a very good pizza and penne alla vodka. Totally Italian American.

Quy Le

Really great thin crust pizza. The slices just melt in your mouth.

441 people visited Patsy's Pizza