Philz. Coffee.

1600 Shattuck Ave #100, Berkeley, California

Judy Wong
    4 Oct 04, 2013

Alright. I didn't believe it when ppl kept telling me how awesome this was. I thought well it's just coffee. But I was oh so wrong. So wrong I should kick myself for taking so Long to come here!!

Came here with the BF and ordered a mint mojito iced coffee and ecstatic iced coffee. Both were bomb!!! Minty fresh - I know it sounds weird, but it is AMAZING. the coffee was smooth. mmmmmmm

The service was quick and friendly!

My only gripe about it is that it is pretty pricey ($4.50 for a large/$4 for a small) so I don't think I would come here every day for it, even though I wish I could....

Please do yourself a favor, and get one now. Don't hesitate like I did. Or else...you're gonna be missing out each day you haven't tried it.

Yelping about it now makes me want it. Gahhhhh. I think I'll swing by and get one or else I'm gonna dream about it...

Also if you bring your own cup, they charge for a small if you order a large :P

I will be back to try the mocha tesorara. Can I get that iced???!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBusiness TravelersLocal CultureTrendsters
    King Kevin the VII
    4 Jun 08, 2013

I can't believe you're drinking Coffee... it's like drinking the tears and sweat of poor Columbian farmers being enslaved by the corporations... - Random douche bag hippie. My response (hold up index, middle and ring pinky) "read between the lines buddy."

For those who are in the Berkley area and are sick of the standard Starbucks, try out Philz. There is usually a line at the place but the orders don't take too long. The workers are friendly and the walls are decorated with interesting abstract art. The coffees are actually cheaper than star bucks and the beans are stronger and richer. Additionally, a cool tidbit, you might notice a wall of coffee mugs with people's names on it, if you're a regular, you can keep your cup on that wall and everything you come here and order with your cup, they will fill it up but only charge you for the size of a small! Pretty awesome right?! They also have a small sitting area on the elevated floor, but the place isn't that spacy.

Overall, if you're sick of Starbucks, give Philz a try, you won't be disappointed.

Daisy Tran

The coffee was ORGASMIC!

I tried Philz in Mountain View and had the mint mojito iced coffee there. It was good, but I wasn't blown away.

The hubby and I were nearby and wanted to get some coffee. I was about to go to Guerilla Cafe next door to get some Blue Bottle Coffee, but they were closed. And THANK GOODNESS they were!

We skimmed through the coffee menu and saw the Ecstatic iced coffee. It's a blend of 6 or 7 different kinds of beans together. The menu said it was going to be the best iced coffee you'll ever have....

SO. TRUE.

Forget all the other coffee shops! Even, dare I say, Blue Bottle! I got my coffee with cream and sugar at medium sweetness. It was the most delicious iced coffee I'd ever had. It even tasted like there was a hint of mocha in it. My hubby and I were sharing one coffee. I was about to get another cup just for myself.

I'm so happy there's a Philz in San Jose. I can get my fix, even at home! I could drink a gallon of this stuff, but I don't suggest doing that! Unless you want to be buzzed off caffeine for a few days. =P

By the way, this particular Philz is an awesome place to study. There's a good sized area upstairs with a bunch of tables and chairs. And it's totally a quiet zone. Looks like it can get filled up fast though.

Scott Daly

goodbye blue bottle and HELLO PHILZ!

so much talk over the years about blue bottle but the best kept secret is that philz coffee just may be alot better. this is a great shop with a very cool upstair for live music and sitting back and relaxing with my favorite cup of coffee. another plus is the free wifi and the place was packed so i think many know about the free wifi and love their great coffee blends. i have many favorite coffees hear but i really love the tesora, philarmonic and the silk and splendor. i always make sure to stock up on the beans whenever i'm in the neighborhood.

Juliana Linder
    5 Nov 29, 2011
    Wendy Salkin
    5 May 23, 2014
    Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture

688 people visited Philz. Coffee.

Berkeley City Club