Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 98%Family Travelers
- 71%Local Culture
- 67%Budget Travelers
- 62%Outdoor Enthusiasts
- 59%History Buffs
- 55%Adventure Travelers
Member Reviews (212)
- Pier 39Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 6Jan 20, 2014
Great place to go in SF! You can watch wild sea lions really close. Also, there's a big area with shops and restaurants, so it's definitely worth going there.
- Pier 39Member ofOutdoor EnthusiastsFamily TravelersFoodies+ 1Jan 06, 2014
Very touristy but also pretty nice if you would like to experience one of the city's most popular tourist attractions. Just take into account that almost everything here is on "Tourist price"
- Pier 39Member ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsStudents+ 1Jan 06, 2014
I do love visiting the sea lions here and walking along the water. But the area is just too touristy for me and I hate the big crowds. This is somewhere you just have to visit for your first time in SF but I'm not a huge fan.
- Pier 39Member ofLocal CultureFoodiesWellness+ 2Nov 12, 2013
Pier 39! Great place for tourists and locals alike! So many things to do from shopping, eating, to site seeing, it's probably one of the most popular places to visit in sf
- Pier 39Member ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersFamily Travelers+ 4Nov 07, 2013
While it is crowded and touristy, this is a landmark of the city. It's close enough to Fisherman's wharf for a quick visit, if only to say you've been there.
- Pier 39Member ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersFoodies+ 2Oct 25, 2013
Pier 39 is great for people of all ages. Check out the shops, eateries, and the bay. There is also a couple of view spots around here where you can catch a view of Alcatraz and the sea lions. The Pier is easily accessibly via public transit, cable car, or car.
- Pier 39AmbassadorMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 13Oct 22, 2013
Pier39 is great for shopping, strolling around, getting some ice cream, and has wonderful views of the bay. They do events throughout the year and even do social media contests. I enjoyed the gift shops and sporting goods store.Recommended for:Local Culture
- Pier 39Member ofOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget TravelersFoodies+ 1Oct 19, 2013
The sea lions are great. Night or day they're always active and it's just so much fun to watch sea lions being sea lions. I think it's hilarious how they just moved in one day. I remember when those docks were filled with boats and not sea lions. The Marine Mammal Center, upstairs, is a nice addition and has some pretty cool information on the sea lions and all sorts of other (can you guess?) marine mammals.
- Pier 39Member ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersWellnessOct 18, 2013
Yes, the waterfront is super touristy, but there's a reason. The view is lovely, the shops are interesting and varied (I love the farmer's markets and cheese shops), and there's plenty of people-watching to fill in the times between photographing sea lions and eating chowder. Also down here is the spectacular Teatro Zinzanni, which hosts a ton or interesting shows throughout the year.