Pink's Hot Dogs

709 North La Brea Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90038

Hanae
    3 Aug 10, 2014

CASH ONLY (there is an atm machine at the gas station 1-2blocks away). First time I had it I was pretty disappointed because everyone told me the chili dog is what they're known for... the chili was chili and it was less chunky than the normal chili I love to eat. Gave this place another chance and I realized everything but the plain chili dogs were amazing.

Line is crazy long during busy hours. There's limited free parking for pinks and they have outdoor and indoor seating.

The hotdogs have creative hollywood names which is pretty awesome.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesHistory BuffsLocal Culture
    Richard Knapp
    5 Aug 05, 2014

OK, so I finally made it to Pinks! Was in the area, saw it, and thought I had to go! My only fear was all the hype I had heard going into having one, I was afraid of being disappointed. (I was not)

Yes, there is a line. But instead of thinking how annoying it is, I thought how great the people watching was ... A group of semi-drunk Dodger fans were in front of us ... very entertaining.

So on to the food ... (why you come here anyway) ... we had ...
    - Pastrami Reuben Dog - OUTSTANDING! They grill the pastrami, excellent sauerkraut and a dog with the good "snap" of the casing!
    - Chicago Polish Dog - EXCELLENT! Not 100% Chicago style (no large pepper,etc), but excellent. Just wished I had had them do it with the hot dog instead.
    - Chili Dog - OUTSTANDING!! Chili, onions, mustard and the excellent dog with the snap ...
    - Fries - OUTSTANDING! I have never seen a machine that cooks like these things were done.

I think the line and time spent make you anticipate the food, and part of the experience. I am glad we went!!

Danny Nguyễn
    3 Jun 05, 2014

FINALLY I get to try the famous PINK'S HOT DOGS. Located in the corner of La Brea and Melrose, where parking isn't so bad. They have a small lot in the back and also plenty of meter parking within a 5 min walk. Be prepared to wait at least 30 mins to an hour. There will always be a line!

Now for the hot dogs. We got the Martha Stewart, I was pretty disappointed. I had really high expectation since it was so famous and has one of the most reviews on yelp, but at last disappointment. The hot dogs are pretty normal, I didn't taste or see anything special about it. They just used regular buns that got soggy and fell apart so easily. I would rather stick to hot dogs in my area like Dog Haus or Slaw Dogs. It didn't live up to the hype =(

Re becca
    3 Apr 15, 2014

I decided to give Pinks another try, after my last experience why would I right? Well, The owner apologized and promised the night time manager would be reprimanded for his behavior and since we were already in the area we said "Why not "!

Actually the night I went back, it was the SAME night time manager that insulted me! I held my tongue and not say anything disrespectful or smart and just made my order. I doubt he remembered me being that Pinks is such a BRAND location and people are always coming and going ! ANYWAYS - same guy, slightly different attitude, perhaps it was just an off night for him or he is just old... (i sound bitter don't I )
    My guy ordered "JAWS" which was a huge heart attack but he said it was great- the only thing was the guy added bacon and we never asked for bacon ( fine though cause he said it was what he wanted anyways, but would of been courteous if he told us about it !)

My second time back, i brought 3 other friends with me, 3 DRUNK friends! We were in line and my friends were asking about the onion rings and the cook were nice enough to sneak a couple for them to try ( thought that was nice) So we ended up ordering some -maybe some language barrier and the guy thought we ordered 2 onion rings and fries !! The night time manager this time was a different man and def. was much helpful, offered us some sauces that will go well with certain dogs.

Few mistakes but all and all a way better experience rather than being blame!

L. Paul Evangelista
    4 Mar 27, 2014

I really like the hot dogs here. I will say that the chains based off of the main Pink's are not really worth it. But the original Pink's is awesome and delicious

Ryan Fung
    5 Mar 24, 2014

This is the iconic hot dog place to visit in L.A. The menu provides a hefty list of specialty dogs, plus more named after places and celebrities. There is almost always a line, but it's worth the wait.

Jaak Treiman
    4 Jan 22, 2014

Pink's is a family owned, non-franchised, hot dog stand that is a Hollywood landmark. Their walls are filled with pictures of Hollywood personalities who have frequented Pink's. This is where Bruce Willis proposed to Demi Moore. (She said, "Yes." Some years later they divorced.)

As a hot dog devotee I rate their hot dogs "good" but no better than Cupid's, a local franchise. Go there to enjoy their hot dogs and to admire the Pink family's marketing savvy.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersLocal CultureStudents
    Rachel Greene
    5 Jan 13, 2014

The hot dogs at Pink's are CRAZY. FYI, so is the line, so do be prepared to wait about 45 minutes on line for a hot dog. Try the Mullholland Drive Dog.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
    Erin K
    4 Feb 14, 2014

I love it when places like this work out, when their food completely lives up to its reputation and you understand why they're so famous. They make great hot dogs, period. I had one with chili and sauerkraut, and one with onion and all the standard condiments. SO. GOOD. The line is usually long but it moves fast (the staff here knows exactly what they're doing), though if you're looking for a place to sit, you probably won't be able to find a spot. Doesn't matter, really, since your food will be gone in two seconds and you'll be considering whether to hop back in line for another round.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Kat
    5 Sep 03, 2013

Hotdogs hotdogs hotdogs!!!
    Family-owned since 1939 on LaBrea and Melrose. Famous hotdog stand in the country and especially in LA. Emeril and Giada have hotdogs named after their creation and its now on the menu. Also on that list is the Mayor of LA, Rosie O'Donnell, Ozzy, and Martha Stewart. Movies too... Lord of the Rings and Jaws. Definitely a stop if you're in the Hollywood area

Tanya Hooper
    5 Aug 31, 2013

Really cool restaurant and an absolute must see if visiting LA. Lots of celebs visit Pinks. Hot dogs are huge and pretty good as well.

Jason L
    5 Jul 03, 2013

Pink's you had me at Chili! So good you should kiss the chef! Okay maybe that might be a bit weird.. maybe not as weird in LA. Being a huge hot dog fan, I will let you know that Pink's does not suck. If you ignore the history and celebrates that go there and experience for yourself you won't be disappointed. I heard a lot about this place on food network and travel channel, but who cares? Good food is all that counts the rest is just for tourist to gawk at.

THREE DOG NIGHT 3 hot dogs, wrapped in a giant tortilla, 3 slices of cheese, 3 slices of bacon, chili and onions. Yum Man vs Food how did you skip this place? A massive burrito that is like a chili dog. The chili is freaking bomb! How can you say no to bacon?!? This heart stopping creation satisfies every thing you were dreaming about. If only I could make a chili dog that good. I heard this place is open late and great after club food.

A few cons. Given this is LA, parking is limited. There's a small valet parking area for free. I was scared to let someone park my car, but he did a good job and filled every available space, including next to the dumpster. I didn't see anyone waiting to get their car back. This guy was very fast and efficient. However, he just asked which car is mine without any valet slip or any proof. I could have easily upgrade my car, but picking something nicer. I know this is based on an honesty system, which I follow, but who knows if other people will. The wait is always at least 30 minute plus! If you can wait in line for a roller coaster or go early to a movie, this isn't really that bad. The location is hard to reach if you are not a LA local. Even from just outside of LA, like Pasadena, you WILL have a world famous LA traffic experience!

Try Pink's for yourself, but not because I said so. If you love hot dogs you cannot afford to miss it. Please don't go when I do. Maybe I can shorten the line. Duh! Why did I write this review...?

Recommended for:Business TravelersGreen TravelersFamily TravelersHistory Buffs
    Wilhelmina S
    5 May 27, 2013

You can't come to LA and not have a Pink's Hot Dog and the RootBbeer is great.
    Don't forget the Tums!

Robert S
    4 Dec 25, 2013

The landmark hot dog stand Pink’s was founded by Paul and Betty Pink in 1939 as a pushcart near the corner of La Brea and Melrose. The Great Depression was still having an impact on the country, and money was scarce. People could purchase a chili dog made with Betty’s chili recipe accompanied by mustard and onions on a steamed bun for 10 cents each. As business grew, thanks to Betty’s chili and the custom-made Hoffy-brand hot dogs with their natural casings, so did Pink’s. Their menu still has the original chili dog, but they’ve added 31 others (plus other menu items like burgers). Some of the new dogs on the menu are named after Hollywood celebrities, some of whom can be seen at the restaurant. Be prepared for a line -- it can sometimes stretch around the corner.

Paul F
    5 Apr 27, 2013

Always a line of 50 people so be prepared to wait but this is the place for taste the worlds best hot dogs.

Susan Lee
    3 Dec 04, 2013

The hot dogs are really good, especially the ones with bacon in them. However, there's always a long line to order, so you really have to be in the mood to wait for a hot dog.

Jennifer Soong
    3 Mar 22, 2013

Pink's Hot Dogs is pretty well-known in LA. The line might be pretty long but the wait isn't all that bad. They really know what they're doing and how to be efficient in their service. Now for the food. The food is really delicious - just waiting in line with the smell of hot dogs really makes your mouth water. After getting one, I bet you'll want more!

Carol Flegel
    2 Feb 11, 2013

Hmm. Landmark. Famous. Take in the scene, order a soda and fries or onion rings and definately pass on the rest.

• Pink's Hot DogsAmbassadorPro 2014
    Sandra Waring
    4 Feb 07, 2013

If you're a visitor to la for the first time, I suggest trying pink's for the la experience. They're so famous for their hot dogs that the hype might be too big- but they still deliver the goods. Chili cheese hot dogs are very solid here, they have crazy toppings on some. The chicken chili cheese burrito is excellent. Seasoned fries, crispy batter onion rings, wash it down with bottled or canned coke. The line gets long..so get friendly with your neighbors in line :)

Faiza Mokhtar
    2 Nov 25, 2013

this place is really overrated. The hot dog menu itself is mediocre and overpriced. After waiting in a line for 20 mins, the food leaves a lot left to be desired. You are better off at Five Guys getting their hot dog.

4,554 people visited Pink's Hot Dogs