Pizzeria Mozza

641 N Highland Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036

LGBT
    Eduardo Twitter
    4 Jan 02, 2014

One of the best pizza in San Francisco. Thin crust with great flavor and fresh ingredients. The only downside is that they don't take reservations and most of the time there is some waiting until you can get a table.

Recommended for:LGBT
    Shane Lyons
    5 May 03, 2014

When I lived in Los Angeles working as both an actor and personal chef I used to frequent this restaurant it’s one of the best pizzas I’ve ever had. The quick casual atmosphere made it very accessible yet still felt somewhat high end with the wide variety of ingredients and toppings. My go-to is the Funghi Misti, Fontina, Taleggio and Thyme pizza.

• Pizzeria MozzaCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Apr 04, 2014

Wow incredible pizzas here. I got the mushroom pizza and it was so flavorful and the crust was perfectly made. I also enjoyed the mussels, arugula salad and the olive oil icecream! Such interesting flavors - the ice cream was sweet and salty at the same time!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureLuxury TravelersNightlife Lovers
    Jennifer Rossini
    5 Apr 03, 2014

I don't want to tell you about this place, because I love it this much. It's pizza that you could easily find in Italy made available in Los Angeles. The ingredients are fresh, well-balanced, and presented in a friendly atmosphere. Must-trys include the Mozza Caprese and Olive Oil Gelato. It's a great place -- no wonder it's always hopping!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureTrendsters
    MARiAN
    5 Mar 31, 2014

For the very best pizza, this is my top recommendation! That is if you are looking for "fancy pizza" and not "vegetate on the couch while throwing back some beers home delivery pizza", of course. The place is pretty pricey but once you try it, you know it is worth it.

The restaurant is much smaller than I thought and it is always busy on my visits. I highly recommend getting reservations so you won't have to wait. Again, the place gets full so you may have to squeeze in somewhere. The restaurant can get a bit loud. They also have a bar where you can sit and have a full meal. They also have a small separate room that is a little quieter. I think you can use this for private parties.

I've tried many of their pizzas and all were good. Squash Blossoms is good. Bianca is good. Gorgonzola Dolce is good. Haven't gone wrong so far! Make room for the Butterscotch Budino! It really is as good as everyone says.

They offer valet service but I've always easily found parking down the block a bit. Make sure to check the street signs.

Verlisia
    4 Dec 26, 2013

Best pizza I have had? Probably not. Perhaps not even top 10 on my list.
    That doesn't mean the pizza wasn't good. Just hear me out.

I first heard about Mozza from an article about SF vs LA vs NYC restaurants showdown. Mozza (both Pizzeria Mozza and Osteria Mozza) is listed on the very top on the must try list.

If you are a meat lover, their pizza won't disappoint. The meat toppings are spectacular. The fennel sausage and speck, in particular, were so sinfully flavorful. All three pizza I have tried, Funghi, Pizza alla benno and Meat Lover, were likable. I love almost everything they put there. Every bite was a treat.

Yet, I am still not completely satisfied.

While Mozza's pizza is brick oven baked, it is not truly any specific Italian style. The crust is too thick for Neapolitan but too thin for Lazio. I have a fairly strong preference for Italian thin crust and I found this weird breed a difficult to get used to. The rich oil on the pizza, while not overwhelming, has made the pizza a little less crisp. You have to eat them quick or they might get soggy.

If only the toppings were on a true Neapolitan pizza....

Perhaps that's just me.

Oh their bone mallow appetizer is a must try. The gelato and sorbet were hit and miss. Rum Rasin was good because the flavor was very strong. You can almost get drunk from the ice cream. Almost..but not quite. Espresso was velvety smooth. Olive oil tasted just like plain salted vanilla. Raspberry sorbet was average.

While service was adequate, I was not impressed. Wait staff could really be more friendly and enthusiastic.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesTrendsters
    Sara Benson
    4 Jan 31, 2014

Overhyped and/or overpriced? That's what I wanted to know when I made a reservation. Conclusion: It's pricey, but deserves all the accolades. The pizzeria half of Osteria Mozza restaurant has just a half-dozen tables inside a wine cellar-style room. The menu is refreshingly simple, but still creative: Italian wines by the glass, classic appetizers with a twist like bruschetta with butternut squash and spinach, and airy, thin-crust pies in a score of different topping combinations (e.g., speck with fresh buffala mozzarella). We dropped $100 on lunch for two (thank you, expense account!) but left satisfied. Super-professional service is quick, showing just the right amount of attentiveness.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
    Erin K
    5 Oct 16, 2013

This dimly-lit, romantic restaurant is just low key enough that you don't have to come with a famous entourage to enjoy some amazing pizza. For appetizers, the fried squash blossoms with ricotta are pretty popular and definitely worth a taste (though be warned, the starter portions are on the small side). I had the fennel sausage, panna, red onion and scallions pizza and it was honestly some of the best pizza I've ever had. The crust is thin and crispy, the sauce just sweet enough, and everything tastes perfectly fresh. Their wine collection is pretty extensive, and the back room displays rack after rack of both red and white. They also have a very knowledgeable sommelier, who will help you out if you can't decide on a bottle.

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
    Nina Harada
    5 Sep 25, 2013

One might think that pizza can't be gourmet but that probably means you haven't been to Mozza. Mario Batalli's casual outpost to Mozza, Pizzeria Mozza has some of the most savory pizzas I've ever had. There's one with an egg in the center that was quite memorable. I also enjoyed the one with fennel sausage. The most difficult part about coming here is having to choose just one pizza!

Sharon K. Yapp
    4 Feb 05, 2014

Pizzeria Mozza is a great choice where you can get the trendy atmosphere AND great tasting food in one in LA! Very good pizza and hearty salads. If you're a fan of Mario Batalli or just pizza in general, you must try this. For The Office fans, I Mindy Kaling (who plays Kelly Kapoor) the last time I was here. Without a reservation, you should expect an hour wait on a typical evening. Try to get one because it's very uncomfortable standing around like sardines. I haven't been next door to Batalli's fancier restaurant, Osteria Mozza, but I hear it is incredibly good.

Recommended for:Trendsters
  • Pizzeria MozzaAmbassadorPro 2014
    Sandra Waring
    5 Feb 11, 2013

The bubbly crust, the exquisite toppings. I love pizza from Pizzeria Mozza. The fennel sausage and goat cheese pizza are the ones we usually order, and don't forget the butterscotch budino for dessert!

Ada Li
    4 Feb 09, 2014

This place doesn't make the best pizza, especially considering the price, but the food is pretty good. The desserts are the best part of the menu. Try to go when they have their late night deal (I believe it's 10pm - close), when you can get a glass of wine, any pizza, and any dessert for $20--great deal!!

Susan Lee
    5 Jan 19, 2014

I love pizza, and aside from Chicago deep dish, this is my fav. Gotta hand it to Mario Batali...he knows pizza. Fresh ingredients and combos that you just can't go wrong with no matter which pizza you order. The fried mozzarella appetizer is also a must try. Blackboardeats also has some coupons sometimes, so you could get 30% off of a carry-out order.

Kevin Cheng
    4 Jan 21, 2013

I hate these pretentious bastards who wouldn't let me take pictures of their food with my DSLR, while there was over 100 crappy pictures from peoples' cell phones on Yelp.com. It's a good thing their pizzas are ridiculously good, otherwise I'd never come back again and again and again. Also, the caprese salad is great. Bastards.

Brian Ko
    3 Jan 19, 2013

I was pretty excited to check this place out after what I had heard about it and the fact that it was so packed all the time. I have to say that the ambience is nice and the staff were superb. The bartender was an absolute pleasure and all the hosts were as accommodating as they could possibly be. The appetizers were also delicious as well as the salad. However, this place is a pizzeria and that's what we came to review. I tried two different types of pizzas and I, personally, didn't enjoy them very much. I'm a very New York City pie type of guy or Chicago style deep dish pan sorta man, so much so that I've flown back with both types from both cities frozen or wrapped in bags. This pizza did not live up to either. I'm sure that for many with more sophisticated palettes than myself, these pizzas are quite gourmet and delicious, but I found them a little too fancy in the tastes for a pizza. I much prefer the traditional sorts of pie. I will be fair though and chalk it to my own personal tastes since everyone else seemed to love their pies. I'm knocking the rating a little lower because the price was kind of ridiculous for a pizzeria. Near $150 for two people, granted there were a few beers involved. If you can expense it or there is some special reason to go, I'd say definitely give it a try. If you just want pizza, you can be more satisfied at 1/10 the cost.

C. Wylie
    4 Dec 03, 2012

The wait times can be a little crazy here, but the food is amazing! The squash blossom bruschetta was out of this world! It can be really tricky getting a table here, but sitting at the bar is fun too.

Candace L
    5 Oct 04, 2012

Very yummy! Extremely busy at lunch time but started to settle down closer to 330P. Started with the fried potatoes, ceci & herbs (these were good), Brussels sprouts with prosciutto breadcrumbs (my favorite), and Calamari al forno with fagioli, tomatoes & oregano. The Bacon, salami, fennel sausage, guanciale, tomato & mozzarella pizza was the best! Bianca with fontina, mozzarella, sottocenere & sage Pizza was good too. Butterscotch budino, sea salt & rosemary pine nut cookies was ah-mazing! Wine was good, although they didn't have a bottle of Pinot Noir. Cappuccino was good. Service was fine. Food was very rich and lots of fried sage. Valet is $8.50.

Irene Choi
    5 Sep 22, 2012

The best gourmet pizza award goes to PIZZERIA MOZZA!

I finally got to try Pizzeria Mozza :) and WOW I've been missing out! The food was amazing! I love pizza, but when you eat too much of it, the tomato sauce kinda gets to me and i feel overloaded with carbs. But at Pizzeria Mozza, I can eat pizza until I explode!

Honestly, I don't remember what kind of pizzas we got. But we got a whole bunch of pizzas between the 8 of us. They were ALL good!

Here are some of the pizzas I remember

I believe this was the meat lovers pizza: http://www.yelp.com/biz_…

Mushroom, prosciutto and meat lover?: http://www.yelp.com/biz_…

And I would say this was Bianca with fontina, mozzarella, sottocenere & sage: http://www.yelp.com/biz_…

To top it off I saw PAUL MACCARTNEY and DAVE GROHL dining together and I got to talk to them! :D I was so star strucked... I think I blacked out for a moment lol.

Anyway, Pizzeria Mozza also have delivery and take out! Make sure you make your reservations in advanced because this place is ALWAYS booked! The restaurant is pretty small, so it feels a bit cramped, but the food tops everything so I give this place 5 stars!

Amit Anandwala
    3 Aug 23, 2012

I have to say I was disappointed in Pizzeria Mozza, maybe it was the high expectations that I had or maybe it was off night or it good just be my palette, but the meal I had here was not satisfying at all. The restaurant was extremely busy and we were thankful that my brother made reservations a month in advance, but the food was just okay. We started out with the bone marrow which was tasty, but the pizza lacked a hearty flavor and fell a little flat. This place is a good date place or for a small group of friends/family, but dont expect to get a table on a busy weekend night without an advanced reservation.

Siao Jer
    5 Aug 17, 2012

Pizzeria Mozza was Mario Batalli's first venture into Los Angeles a few years ago and it still has been a steady institution ever since. Our visit there has totally reaffirmed this. It's a place where you can get something truly well made, unique, and moderately priced.

Among our favorites:

- Bone Marrow al forno (might be a personal thing)
    - Fried Squash Blossom with ricotta: Very light and fresh, and the ricotta gives it a nice full flavor
    - The Pizza. I mean this is a pizza joint after all. We tried four different pizza dishes and enjoyed every single one of them. It is an almost overwhelming thing to choose one. Fortunately, they come in personal sizes and so that makes it fun to order with a group. I have to recommend that you try whichever pizza sounds good to you according to your taste because I haven't had one that I did not like.

Pizzeria Mozza is definitely a place to come try something new, explore, and share a drink or two.

2,235 people visited Pizzeria Mozza