Plan Check

1800 Sawtelle Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90025, United States
Crab dip, must try!

Spiritual Seekers

Had the Blueprint burger that comes with smoked blue cheese and pig candy. Yes, they call bacon cooked in brown sugar pig candy. I have to admin it was very tasty. They have a spacious outdoor eating area for what people watching there is.

Spiritual Seekers

Stick to the burgers. Everything else we had (sweet potato fries, stuffed mushrooms, fried chicken) was a disappointment. It seemed like it was all pre-made and reheated. The burgers though were so delicious!! Definitely a must-try for burger fans.

• Plan Check

Came here for the first time with my boyfriend and friend this past Sunday. My friend and I had always passed by Plan Check and wanted to try it, but never got around to doing it until now. The place always looks pretty crowded/has a line, but since we went for an early dinner on a Sunday night, it wasn't too bad!

The inside of the restaurant is pretty small, and there's some outdoor seating as well so that could be a reason why it gets packed pretty quickly. It's like your typical modern gastropub with some wooden booths, tables, and high bar-height tables as well. We were seated at one of the bar tables which are pretty cool because they have hooks underneath for you to hang your purse on! :D

Unfortunately I cannot review the beer because I don't drink, although my friend got an IPA that came in a can, and he said that it tasted like it was on tap. It was also happy hour so he got it for like $5-6. I got their "Orange Smash" which is like their homemade version of Orangina. It was good at first with some yummy foam at the top, but once the ice cubes started melting it tasted awful and super watery. My boyfriend got a root beer float which they let you pour the root beer yourself.

My friend also got a free dish of beer nuts with Yelp check-in!

For food, I ordered the Blueprint burger with sweet potato waffle fries. My boyfriend and friend got the PCB (Plan Check Burger). I ABSOLUTELY LOVED MY BURGER. It came with smoked blue cheese, pig candy, fried onions, roasted garlic steak sauce, and peppercress. The pig candy absolutely blew me away. It's bacon but covered in sugary goodness and almost tastes like candy. I'm not a huge bacon fanatic but this bacon was SO SWEET AND DELICIOUS. The fried onions also really made the burger!

The PCB comes with americanized dashi cheese, ketchup leather, schmaltz onions, mixed pickles, and crunch bun. My boyfriend nearly inhaled his, and he and my friend agreed that it was a great burger. The ketchup leather was very similar to fruit leather and something we had never seen before. Neither of them were huge ketchup fans, but they said the ketchup leather was really good.

My sweet potato waffle fries were good, and came with this peach ketchup sauce. It was basically just like the consistency of apple sauce, but peach flavored. Nothing like actual ketchup. I thought the sauce was ok, but I didn't love it.

Overall our bill was around $70, which IMO is a little pricey for 3 people. Might have been the fact that we all got drinks that were $4+ and fries which are ordered separately from the burgers.

4 stars for fantastic burgers! I highly recommend and will definitely return to get the Blueprint burger again!

• Plan CheckPro 2014

Came here during Happy Hour....or rather their limited happy hour. Checked in for the free beer nuts, and they didn't have any..... Happy hour drink menu - Only 3 cocktails are reduced price, and wine/beers are $1/$2 off.

Tried their stuffed mushroom, pickle, veggie chips, cruller donut. overall everything was ok, but nothing memorable.

Gets packed fast! so get here early.

Recommended for:Local CultureNightlife Lovers
  • Plan Check

The Umami spin off certainly doesn't disappoint on most flavors -- fried chicken sandwich is one of the best I've had (and I'm from the South). However, they lose points on the inability to appeal to anyone but themselves at times. Specialty ketchup only, high prices, often less-than-enthused staff, and burgers that don't really "wow" me.

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
  • Plan CheckPro 2014

Great little bar at the corner of Sawtelle right off the 405. I had chamomile tea but a quick glance of the menu shows a wide variety of drinks and great dishes. Service is fast. Have your meal outside as well!

• Plan CheckAmbassadorPro 2014

I liked this place! It gets pretty busy but the burgers are great. I love their crab dip, (get it if you're into seafood). The jidori chicken sandwich is also something to try.

• Plan CheckPro 2014

Having been to Umami ruined this place for me. I heard great things about Plan Check and I RSVP'd to the elite event there but didn't get in.

It was Sunday during lunch time and the place wasn't busy. That should have been my first red flag since every other places I drove past on Sawtelle had huge waits.

They have a small patio outside but we opted for inside since it was a little chilly out. Our server was nice and helpful.

I ordered the sriracha pickle and it was delicious. In fact, it was the only thing I really enjoyed from that entire meal. My burger was soggy and it tasted like it was missing salt. I ordered the mushroom Swiss truffle burger from the specials menu.

The fries were pretty good. They were nice and crispy. I didn't enjoyed their housemade ketchup. It was way too sweet and the flavor was off. I prefer the cheesy truffle fries at Umami.

They have special sodas they make in house. I ordered the mango soda. It was okay. I wish it was a little sweeter.

• Plan Check

I'm so glad I live so close to this place. The burgers are amazing. I'd say better than fathers office and umami. You gotta get the Swiss truffle burger off the specials menu, it's my fave!

• Plan Check

I only realized recently that this is one of the favorite places for my westside friends to frequent

I think I enjoy their food over their cocktails. I tried the little osaka sour and I didn't care for it. I haven't given up on their cocktails, I'll try something else next time.

Street Parking is free after a certain time. The times are different for the various surrounding blocks so make sure to read the signs carefully. Parking patrol is always watching!

This is a great place to hang out with friends! Their outdoor seating area is nice too!

• Plan Check

My sister loves this place and has been trying to get me to try it and I finally did and it's pretty good.

FOOD:
    SMOKEY FRIED CHICKEN jidori chicken, smoked milk gravy, yam preserves, spicy pickled okra 13 -
    This was GOOD. OMG. The chicken was so crispy and it was SO bad for me, but it was SO good. I highly recommend this chicken.

RARE GRILLED ALBACORE TUNA tempura rock shrimp, flaked wasabi, citron tartar sauce, grilled cucumber, shaved cured bonito 16
    This was a SMALL plate but really good. Just the tuna. It was cooked really well. Greasy but delicious. :D

SWEET POTATO WAFFLE FRIES beef tallow, peach ketchup 6
    No. Don't order these.

SERVICE:
    You will wait for the outdoor area for a bit if it's a nice day.
    I don't like the community tables. I felt a little too close for comfort.
    Service was fine tho.

PARKING:
    Street parking (meters)

NOTE:
    * There is a wall menu that is not on the written menu
    * A lot of drinks

OVERALL: Not bad at all. GET THE CHICKEN.

• Plan Check

I actually like going there for their drinks! I found a mix of fruity-ness, spiciness and "funkiness" in them! I like their tropic thunder or the spaghetti western (this one is not for everyone, very spicy!!)

• Plan CheckCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014