Port Campbell Hostel

18 Tregea Street, Port Campbell 3269, Australia

• Port Campbell HostelAmbassadorPro 2014
    Becky Mahan
    4 Jun 30, 2013

The tiny town of Port Campbell is perched innocently along the Great Ocean Road, and I was almost hesitant to compromise the peace and tranquility of the route by staying in a youth hostel. I ran the risk of noise, immature party animals, tourists more concerned with their iPhones than the nature walk outside, and overcrowded rooms. Luckily, I was horribly wrong. The hostel is more of a chateau-style inn set a five minute walk from the beach, with large, airy rooms and big windows that let in plenty of sunlight. The kitchen was spacious and fully stocked, including a special refrigerator just for free food people had left behind. And the entire place was blissfully empty, as I was told about 100 people checked out the morning of the day I arrived. Thus, I enjoyed a 6-person suite all to myself, where I spread out my belongings and my laundry, chose the best bed, and then left for a leisurely stroll along the beach bluffs to the most terrific sunset I've ever seen in my life.

Recommended for:BackpackersBudget TravelersOutdoor EnthusiastsStudents