PPQ Dungeness Island

2332 Clement St, San Francisco, CA 94121

Diane V
    4 May 13, 2014

Holy moly, this has got to be one of the BEST crab places I've ever been to! Beats Boiling Crab and Kickin Crab by a longshot! Like everyone before me has stated, you'll do yourself a huge favor by ordering the roasted crab, peppercorn crab, garlic noodles, and some kind of green veggies. I kid you not, EVERYONE had a combination or all of those dishes on their tables. The service could be better, but they made up for it in the best crab you might be getting your hands on.

The line here is ridiculous and we were under-quoted by 45 minutes! We ended up waiting 1.5 hours to eat. So by that time, we were all crabby (pun intended).

However, it was so garlickly and good, we ate the garlic off the plate like it was rice. NOTE: Not a good place to take a date if you want to make out afterwards. You probably won't get another date after that. I think I reeked of garlic after I was done with this place. In fact, it was coming out of my pores. But sooo worth it! The prices were pretty reasonable too. We were a party of 5, and we ended up paying $120 altogether, ordering all those dishes mentioned (2 portions of the garlic noodles), which was a perfect amount of food perfect for a party of 5. We loved the food so much, there was complete silence for 15 minutes while we scarfed down crab. Sorry, bro, I don't care how your day went; this is good stuff!

Parking is free for an hour, but trust me, you'll be there for longer than an hour.

If you can be patient enough to wait a long time and don't mind servers who don't know how to communicate, this is worth the wait. It really is GOOD food!

hangry_cho
    5 Apr 04, 2014

When you come here all you need to know is PEPPERCORN ROASTER CRAB and GARLIC NOODLES.

The dinner for 2 set isn't bad either since you get:
    - imperial rolls (yummy!)
    - papaya salad
    - 1 crab (i substitute it for the peppercorn flavor)
    - dessert: fried banana with mango & coconut ice cream

With a much bigger party, I usually just add a few crabs and another order of garlic noodles and imperial rolls. DONE DEAL!

TIP: parking is a nightmare in this area, so plan ahead! There is a parking lot down the street, but even with validation, they're a RIP OFF.

Owie
    3 Mar 12, 2014

Time to get down and dirty when I think of PPQ. Spontaneous dinner decision I had to make because its one of those days where you can't decide where to eat. Knowing the wait will be long, but there was only two of us so I did not mind the wait. We ordered:

- Spicy Crab = fried with a spicy kick! My favorite out of the five types of crab.

- Drunken Crab = juicy and flavorful but I got too sick of eating it.

- Imperial rolls = spring rolls basically being deep fried.

- Garlic noodles = had high hopes for the garlic noodles, but I swear I had it better elsewhere.

The service was attentive and you never have one waiter, it was more like whoever was available at the time. I like the bibs that they hand out along with moist towel to clean after yourself. I see myself coming back here for the crabs.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    May W
    4 Nov 11, 2013

PPQ is super popular, even at off hours like 3:30PM on a lazy Sunday afternoon. You park on one of the residential streets or on Clement's metered spots. Service is minimal, but polite and efficient.

I'd recommend the peppercorn chicken wings to anyone. They are big, juicy, and so delicious. It holds the title of "Best Chicken Wings in Sf", at least in my book. :) I prefer getting these babies over the famous crab entrees bc it takes less effort for way more meat. You may want to skip the crab fried rice if you're a fan of the crab/seafood taste. Though the dish is cooked nicely, it really lacks any visible crab meat. I would not recommend the imperial rolls either as the fillings aren't as tasty as the roll looks. the skin is impeccable though.

• PPQ Dungeness IslandAmbassadorPro 2014
    Stanley Chan
    4 Dec 01, 2013

I have no idea what the PPQ stands for but I do know that this place serves some of the best tasting crab ever!!! When someone mentions the acronym PPQ in San Francisco, everyone knows this is the place to go eat crab! They serve al types, including the delicious roast-style crab and curry crab that we ordered. Throw in some Vietnamese-style spring rolls and a bowl of savory garlic noodles, and you get a wonderful meal that is sure to blow your taste buds away!!! When you order a crab, you get a bib to take home as a souvenir! Come in a large group and enjoy some crab like no other!!! Remember to "Dress for a Mess, and not to Impress!"

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife LoversStudentsTrendsters
    Kevin Cheng
    5 May 21, 2013

Wonderful garlic noodles and spectacular fried genuineness crabs. So simple, so good. The restaurant is sparsely decorated but clean.

Vicky Thanh
    5 Nov 15, 2012

Yummy yummy in my tummy crab!! Get their roasted peppercorn crab. It's the best out of their selection. And also order their garlic noodles. I also liked their beef tar tar.

Viv
    5 Sep 10, 2012

Amazing garlic crab and noodles! Make sure to get the grilled shrimp that you can wrap in rice paper. Better than Crustacean and Thanh Long!

Ally Wu

Now the crab season has just opened and I have to have some dungeness crabs! PPQ serves whole crabs different ways, salt and pepper, baked, spicy and one other way. We ordered baked and the crab is covered with delicious garlic butter sauce. The crab was firm and fresh, a definite hit. I can't wait to go back and try other preparations!

• PPQ Dungeness IslandCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane

This place is delicious. Their standout dishes are the roasted grab and garlic noodles. I'm not a huge fan of crab in restaurants, so I stuck with the standard Vietnamese fair. Everything tasted fabulous, with less heaviness than what I recall getting at other restaurants.

Traci

The way this was introduced to me was as a less expensive version of Crustacean. That's a pretty good description - it lacks the ambiance and the polished finesse of the food at Crustacean, but the flavor is all there. They have 3 or 4 types of crab - I love the garlic roasted crab. All other dishes I have had here have been equally good - the sea bass, the garlic noodles, the sauteed pork. I have never had a bad dish here.

Chris Lo

This place is the best! My friend was getting married the next day but invited his close friends and family out of town to this place for dinner to celebrate. The roasted crab & garlic noodles are the bomb!! I don't mind getting down and dirty eating the crab here! You have to go with the peppercorn garlic crusted crab. The flavor is excellent and addicting you just got to eat more! Plenty of meat, some places it just isn't worth the time and effort but this place absolutely!

David L.

really good place for vietnamese style crabs in the Outer Richmond. this place can get pretty busy so expect a long wait (1+ hrs) if you come at peak times. we showed up around 5p one day and were seated promptly. they have a pretty good sized menu with pho, rice plates, and vermicelli dishes, but most people show up for dungeness crab. we went for the set menu for 2, around $55 for: imperial rolls, cabbage salad w/ chicken (tasted kinda funny), peppercorn crab (we switched out the roast crab), house garlic noodles, and deep fried banana ice cream. everything was good except the chicken in the salad didn't taste good to me. maybe a bit too much fish sauce? anyways, even if you order ala carte, the prices are better than Thanh Long. and i feel the food overall is much better.

Amy Chow
    2 Mar 03, 2013

Unfriendly service & kinda bland taste.

theoriginalchowman