Prospect

300 Spear St. San Francisco CA 94105

• Prospect Pro 2014
    Owie
    4 Mar 07, 2014

Finding a place to dine in SF can be a challenge on the weekend, but somehow managed to find this place for an early dinner reservation.

We arrived fashionably early for dinner and had plenty of space before the crowd started rolling in.

Starter: Wagyu Beef Tartare was excellent!

Main:

- Liberty Valley Duck = I had to ordered this because one can never get tired of duck meat.

- Chef's Special Pork = took a bite from my partner who ordered this, but I can't quite remembered if I liked it or not.

Dessert: Banana Cream Pie Sundae = the banana pudding was impeccable! This was probably my favorite dish throughout the night.

Overall, I enjoyed my dinner with great company. Service was on point and attentive.

p.s. The restroom seem like a mile walk away from the restaurant...why?

Recommended for:Budget TravelersBusiness TravelersFoodiesLuxury Travelers
  • Prospect Pro 2014
    Fran V.
    4 Oct 30, 2013

I really enjoyed the atmosphere, service, and food at Prospect. The restaurant is nicely located near the Embarcadero and Financial District. All the items they had on their menu, especially the seafood dishes, sounded good. However, I ended up ordering the braised pork which was tasty and filling. The pork was topped with salad and onion rings and on the side was creamy mashed potatoes and cabbage. For dessert, I chose the banana parfait which was sweet and filling. I couldn't get enough of the sandwiched cookies with a chocolate filling that came with the parfait. It was so delicious!

Sharon K. Yapp
    4 Aug 07, 2013

I really enjoyed dinner at Prospect! My cousins and I went here last weekend. The great experience actually started with the reservation. I needed to find a dinner spot for six in less than a week. When I called, luckily there was availability at a time that worked for us. The person on the phone was so helpful. She took down my number and clearly communicated what would happen next and to expect a call by the next afternoon at the latest. Sure enough, I got my call, and locking the reservation was smooth.

Prospect feels very modern. Average age was probably over 30, and the atmosphere was calm. I wouldn't describe it as high energy if you're looking for that. Our server was nice. Food was solid California cuisine.

Tip: Off the menu, chef can prepare a special vegetarian meal. My vegetarian cousin said that it was very excellent and full of flavor.

Recommended for:Trendsters
    Gary McCormick
    2 Mar 18, 2013

I love the bar here, but I honestly found the food a bit underwhelming. I think part of it may have just been that it wasn't really my type of food, but I can usually find SOMETHING great on any menu in the city--not the case here. I don't remember what I ultimately decided to order, it was obviously pretty easily forgotten.

I still go to Prospect pretty often for drinks before heading somewhere else for a meal. I'm sure at some point or another I will come back for dinner, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

Cindy Chen
    3 Dec 27, 2012

The service is GREAT. I would say, 5 stars all the way.

The food is pretty good, but don't order the chicken ~ it was dry. Definitely would be 4 stars level if each dish was just a few dollars less...

The drinks though... Well, I had the Prospector... and what a disappointment! I felt that it was very watered down. You would think that the namesake drink would be a nice one... We stuck to wine for the rest of the night.

Overall, love the ambiance... So, 3 solid A-OK stars!

Kevin-John Black
    2 Dec 13, 2012

Will have to give this another shot. We were not happy with the service at the bar. Good drinks but nobody even talked to us for 5 mins on what wasn't a very busy night.

Chantel Rush

Well thought out wine list, great bar menu if you're just there for drinks (e.g., herbed goat cheese with warm crostini $5, deviled eggs with jalapeño and bacon $5, perfectly prepared Prospect burger $9)

Craig Kellar

Came here for dinner, but wasn't that hungry so just ordered two appetizers. The good news? The food was excellent - the Green Goddess salad and the Black Cod were very well made, and absolutely delicious. The bad news? The portions were kinda small. I did see other people order main courses, and the portions were more what I would have expected.

But! They have a very interesting bar menu. I really want to come back here for happy hour and order off of that thing.

Marissa Coughlin
    4 May 07, 2013

Food, drinks, delish. Service is excellent. Brunch is a bit of a hidden gem.

Mike Dauber

great spot. my wife and i were really happy with it.

Jin Kim
    Neetu A
    5 Feb 10, 2014
    Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife Lovers

1,324 people visited Prospect

Contemporary American cuisine with Italian influences in a loft-like San Francisco space has won partners Nancy Oakes, Pam Mazzola, and Kathy King, together with Executive Chef Ravi Kapur, a James Beard nomination for Best New Restaurant 2010.

Hotel Griffon