R & G Lounge

hangry_cho
    3 Apr 04, 2014

Love their...

- salt & pepper crab
    - shark fin soup (but bye bye to it now)
    - peking duck
    - eggplant & tofu

Although the food here is good, the last time I went back it wasn't the same as I remembered and it was kind of disappointing, but nonetheless, I'm still a fan since it's been great more times than not. The prices are a bit high, so be prepared!!

TIP: Go right around 6 to get a good/free parking spot!

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury Travelers
    morgan nguyen
    4 Mar 22, 2014

This place is one of the best Salt and Pepper Crab! The vegetarian dishes are very tasty so are the roasted duck.
    R&G is were we go for office lunches and celebrations. The restaurant is tri-level with a modern vibe.
    I always try to get the upstairs seating for the street view otherwise they stick you in the dungeon which can get loud.

Matthew Crompton
    4 Oct 18, 2013

Popular with waiguoren and Chinese customers alike, this slightly upscale Chinatown eatery is famous above all for its fantastic salt-and-pepper crab, which though pricey is worth every penny for those with a strong yen to make a meal of our pinchiest sea-dwelling friends. Anthony Bourdain featured R & G on his SF visit, which personally is reason enough for me to eat here.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
    Todd Waldorf
    5 Sep 14, 2013

It was a long wait, but they take reservations. The food was very good. The service was OK. The kids liked it too.

Jenn B
    3 Oct 06, 2012

I suppose that if I were to recommend a restaurant in Chinatown, it'd be R&G Lounge. This would be based on two factors: 1) The other restaurants in the neighborhood are just okay and 2) That salt and pepper crab.

Now, don't think that this will be a cheap meal because you're in Chinatown and not in the Financial District. That crab will set you back around $30 and will only feed two people, three if you have other things to fill you up. All of the other offerings are overpriced, in my opinion, but the crab is so good!

Don't expect top-notch service or the classiest decor either.

Candace L
    3 Oct 04, 2012

I've been to R&G twice now. The first time I wasn't impressed, that I can recall but it was YEARS ago, in-between we have tried House of Nanking and LOVED it! Cheap and good but this go around I found myself back at R&G - we were staying at the Omni and walked out the front door and you are damn near at this place so we said screw it, we'll go in for dinner. We had been up since about 4A and it was 5P so we were tired and ready for dinner and there was no wait, with no reservation so we thought it was meant to be.

Unlike my other fav in Chinatown I remembered I didn't have a clue what to order here when glancing over the menu. So I went with the very basics - egg rolls, kung pao chicken, chow mein and fried rice. It was then that we sat there and watched every last table order the salt and pepper crab - that was when I made the BIG mistake of ordering one for my son and I.

When did I forget I HATE cracking and working for a little bit of crab meat?!?! This was a HUGE mistake - I sat there attempting to enjoy it but really I don't know how much crab I even ate after loading up on dishes that didn't require any work. When it was all said and done there was a ton of crab left but I couldn't bring myself to struggle with it any longer for zero satisfaction.

I asked my son to please hand me the wet nap so I could clean all of the grease off of my hands. I told him "it looks like I just rolled around in Crisco" and the guy behind me nearly fell out of his seat laughing. I guess he heard my comment.

At $105 for 1.5 people I was not too thrilled, we could have FEASTED on all of our staple favorites at House of Nanking and ordered food for about 6 people for this price.

Big mistake that I will not make again. Perhaps when it comes to Chinese food I enjoy the cheap stuff! We didn't package up the crab to go because, well... how in the world would we attempt to finish this at a hotel when I can't even enjoy it with the proper tools at the restaurant. We did package up what was left of the other stuff and luckily I found a homeless man with AIDS on the sidewalk in Chinatown that had a sign that read he wanted food. I asked my son for our bag and gave it to the man. It made the cost worth it to now know that I had now fed 2.5 people for the price and one of them REALLY needed it. He was very grateful to have it, it was even still hot so I was very happy at this point.

Lesson learned and next time, I'll feast at Nanking and giveaway those leftovers.

Carlie Yapp
    5 Sep 22, 2012

Pretty much every San Franciscan local of Chinese descent has told me to go to this spot if they want a Chinese banquet meal. I went here with my wife in the morning and ordered the Salt and Pepper Crab (which if you read every other review is their staple and a must order if you go) and a beef dish (which was also tasty). This place is a bonus if you go during late Fall / Early Winter - November if I remember correctly; this is dungeness crab season.

My mistake in coming here was that there were only two of us. This place is meant to be shared between more than two people so you can try several dishes at once. They all looked so good, I regret not being able to try them all. The portions are in line with their price tag...a lot...another reason to come with more folks.

Tilly Wright

This Chinatown restaurant was recommended by my friend, who is a local there. They told me to try their crab as it's the best crab in the area because they fry it very differently. I did and it was so delicious. Make sure to stop by here if you're in Chinatown San Francisco.

Wanugee
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts

This place has been one of the more recent (by recent, I mean the last 30 years) cornerstones of Chinatown Restaurants, and is a popular place. The reasons are: location near Portsmouth Square's parking garage on Kearny; near the Hilton Hotel Chinatown (formerly the Holiday Inn); between Chinatown and the Financial District; and the food and service are consistently good.

They offer mostly Cantonese type dishes, although they do have a few Mandarin and Szechuan dishes, too. Expect to pay a bit more for every dish than less well known places with less than ideal locations.

Recently had an early dinner (4 ish), and the lunch menu is still available until 5:00pm weekdays; so we had the option to order from that (which is cheaper) or the dinner menu. However, the lunch menu soup du jour, was out, so insteand of $2 extra, they wanted to charge $5 extra. We said forget it.

Because 2 people had to get to the airport soon, we had to eat quickly. We shared Moo Shiu Pork, Beef Chow Fun, and Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli). All were served quickly and were excellent in flavors and quality of ingredients.The Pork came with the crepes and was moist and tasty; the Beef in the Chow Fun was better than average quality and the dish was not too dry or too wet; and the Gai Lan was excellent, diagonally cut stems stir-fried with roasted garlic cloves for a great flavor and crisp texture. With a coke and tea, $35 total before tip.

On weekends this place is a zoo, and you can wait quite awhile upstairs before a table opens up downstairs. They are efficient about it though, as they use RF headsets to communicate when tables open up. There crab is good in season, and the salted steam chicken or spicy salted shrimp are also a popular choice.

Betty N.

**FABULOUS SERVICE AND TASTY CHINESE FOOD**

Customer service in a Chinese restaurant is unheard of.

But we received VERY attentive service here.

Resevations recommended.

Sat downstairs with 5 friends.

ORDERED:

*SALT AND PEPPER CRAB
    *SPECIAL BEEF
    *WON TON SOUP
    *HONEY PRAWNS
    *MUSHROOMS AND GREENS

Loved the beef and the mushrooms and greens the best.

Liked the crabs, but it wasn't the best I've had and it was a bit too greasy for me.

The honey prawns with walnuts were a bit too bland.

It was $250 for 6 people (THANKS, ERIK!)

Overall, it was a good place to dine on decent Chinese food. The best? No, but you can't go wrong here.

RECOMMEND.