Rancho San Joaquin Golf Course

1 Ethel Coplen Way, Irvine, CA, United States

• Rancho San Joaquin Golf Course
    Drew M.
    3 Oct 12, 2012

While Rancho San Joaquin is right down the street from my work, I've never actually played there. I frequent their range, but haven't ever traversed their golden fairways (actually, more brown than golden).

Considering that Costa Mesa runs a twilight rate of $19 for ML and $22 for Lagos, the price point of RSJ is about 15 dollars higher, and at the end of the day, it's not worth it.

While I was the first one off at 7:30am, that was about the best part of the day. My first point of contention is RSJ's asinine way of marking distance to the hole. So you decide that you're going to print the distance to the holes with paint on the cart path; what if you're walking and the cart path is not viable from where you are (which is most of the time!)? RSJ has solved this by putting a GIGANTIC pole on each hole for 150 yards, leaving me one of two options on just about EVERY hole:

1. Walk all the way over to the cart path and find how far inside 100 yards I am.
    2. Count out from the 150 mark to my ball.

I mean seriously, we don't all drive carts, and we don't all carry rangefinders. And if you're going to throw out a huge marker for 150, is it that hard to just throw one in for 100?

Overall here the greens were average at best, with a few tiered greens and some minor undulations. The course was in average shape, and there were a few hazards, but mostly this course was flat, wide open, and not exceedingly challenging.

You can get a round off golfnow for $35 with a cart, and if you get out early you can zip through in 3 hours. If you're looking for a course to switch it up a bit, then it's worth one wack, but overall it's just an adequate place to spend some strokes.

1 member's review