Red Reef Park

1400 State Route A1A, Boca Raton, Florida
Red Reef Park

• Red Reef Park

A large group of friends from the Miami Sierra Club went to snorkel in the artificial reefs last Sunday, July 29th, 2012, but we were extremely disappointed to find out that the reefs are gone, buried in sand, thanks to a beach renourrishment project. (Was that really necessary? Where did the fish go, now that they have no protection???) $18 for parking is a steep fee, but we never objected to paying it, as long as we could enjoy snorkeling with beautiful fish, as we had done many times before. I contacted the City of Boca Raton for explanations, and I suggested they build a new artificial reef in the water- after all, this park is still wrongly called "Red Reef", and people from all over come to it for snorkeling. A very nice official responded promply and eplained about the beach renourrishment project, adding that a new artificial reef was next to impossible. What a shame! My friends and I will no longer go to this park- it has lost its uniqueness: there are plenty of beautiful beaches in South Florida, where one doesn't have to pay an arm and a leg to get in. We used to spend quite a bit of money in the area, too, since we usually stayed over and had dinner at local restaurants.I must add that the bathrooms were a mess- dirty, no toilet paper, no locks on the stall doors, etc.

Sandy toes for sunset