Residence Inn San Diego Central
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to? Join now
- 98%Business Travelers
- 98%Family Travelers
- 98%Adventure Travelers
Member Reviews (2)Write a review
- Residence Inn San Diego CentralMember ofVegetarianLocal CultureOutdoor Enthusiasts+ 11Jul 05, 2012
Marriott's calls this hotel on their website as "Residence inn San Diego Central". And for good reason, as it does have a pretty central location to the city and county of San Diego, with easy access to the 163, 805 and not far from the 5 and 8 freeways.
But this is not a downtown San Diego hotel, so a car is useful here.
It is located right off Clairemont Mesa Blvd, a main drag in the Kearny Mesa area, right off Highway 163, which can take you downtown, connect with other freeways within 5 miles, or lead you northeast to the i-15 and the Temecula wine country and Riverside beyond.
It is only about 10 miles to downtown San Diego, or Ocean Beach, Sea World, the Zoo, and about 20 miles from the Wild Animal Park, and maybe 25 to 30 to Legoland.
This is perhaps the best value Residence Inn in San Diego county. RI's near downtown and the Gaslamp are in the $200 range; while full Marriott hotels are in the $300+ range (plus $25/nt parking). The RI in Carlsbad up north county is over $200, and the one in La Jolla near UCSD is about $170. This one is really no different in amenities or room size to all of those, and it can be had for $150 for a studio suite.
Plus, you are near all the Asian restaurants in the Kearny Mesa area, where you can get good food at reasonable prices. Since Residence Inns over sofa sleepers in all suites (and some suites with double master bedrooms), and a full kitchen in an apartment like set-up with full utensils, dining table, desk, dishwasher, etc. it is a great value.
Add to that their free hot breakfast with eggs, waffles and potatoes plus all the trimmings, and the "manager's" evening happy hour meal with more free food and beer, and you have an excellent value for $150.
A family of four can stay with the 2 smaller children on the sofabed, and you can feed them all breakfast for free, with evening refreshments. Parking is also free, so you can really stretch the family vacation budget.
And another great bennie? Free wi-fi (wired LAN). You just have to log in every 24 hours!
In my case, I got the ultimate bennie, totally free rooms because I am a frequent quest member to Marriott brands.
- Residence Inn San Diego CentralMember ofBudget TravelersFoodiesNightlife LoversFirst to ReviewNov 08, 2013
- Close to the freeways (163 and 805).
- Comfortable beds
- Friendly staff
- Free parking
- Complimentary wi-fi
- The wi-fi, although complimentary, is wired. It would have been fine if I had a laptop or netbook, which I didn't. So I had no way of networking via my iPod touch. Boo!
- Had a slight miscommunication with housekeeping in regards to replacing my bath towels. They basically took the ones I asked to have removed, but somehow forgot to put in new ones. Who does that?! *shrugs*
These RI hotels are as close as I can get to "having my own place" in SD right now. Minor issues aside, I still love the service that Marriott and its employees continue to provide every time I visit.Recommended for:
Excellent!512 reviews across the web.
- Guests think this is a family-friendly hotel.
- PriceExcellent value for money, said 100%.
- Hotel93% thought it was clean.
- Service90% found the staff to be very friendly.
- LocationGreat parking, according to 89%.
- Food84% found the breakfast to be wonderful.
- GroundsBeautiful grounds.
Recreational amenities include an outdoor pool, a spa tub, and a fitness facility. This 3.0 star property offers small meeting rooms and business services. The property serves a complimentary hot and cold buffet breakfast each morning and hosts a
Furnishings include desks and sofa beds. At the 3.0 star property, accommodations include kitchens with full sized refrigerators/freezers, stovetops, microwaves, and coffee/tea makers. Bathrooms feature hair dryers. In addition to complimentary high speed (wired) Internet access, guestrooms offer multi line phones and voice mail. Televisions have premium cable channels and pay movies. Air conditioned rooms also include irons/ironing boards and clock radios. Guests may request wake up calls. Cribs (infant beds) are available on request.
- Rollaway beds are not available.
- This multi story property does not have elevators.
- Business Center
- Fitness Center
- Free Parking
- Swimming Pool
- Free Hi Speed Internet
- Pets Allowed
- Data Ports
- TV In Room
- Hair Dryer
- Air Conditioning
- Meeting Rooms
- Clothing Iron
- Wake Up Service
- Coffee & Tea Maker