Spring Break 2012
Who's on this trip?
What should I see in Taos and where should I stay?
Are there camping options near the Caverns?
Trip Plan Details
- Adobe Rose1614 North 13th, Artesia, NM
- El Pueblo Lodge412 Paseo del Pueblo Norte, Taos, NM 87571
- Laughing Sheep Farm124 Orchard View Ln, Lincoln, NM 88338
- Wortley Pat Garrett HotelHighway 380, Lincoln, NM 88338
- Maria's New Mexican Kitchen555 W Cordova Rd, Santa Fe, NM 87505
- The Shed113 E Palace Ave, Santa Fe, NM 87501
- White Sands National Monument Primitive Campsites19955 US Highway 70,, Alamogordo, New Mexicorecommended White Sands National Monument Primitive CampsitesA rolling sea of sugar white sand encased in a Pueblo tapestry of craggy mountain peaks and Martian sunsets. This place is magical. There's nothing else like it. Rare and totally unique species prowl ... read morethe cool sand (which doesn't heat up in the New Mexican sun), but mostly it's just endless drifts of what should be snow to the eye, but is not. You're barefoot, in shorts and completely comfortable. There is a deep spirituality available at this spot and whether that appeals to you or not, it is still a fascinating place for lovers of geology, biology or cultural history. This is the American southwest at its best.Recommended for:History BuffsArlo Hemphill
White Sands isn't exactly "near" the caverns by east coast standards, but for the long hauls typical of western adventures, it's just over the hills away! They have a number of first come first serve primitive camp spots right on the snow white dunes. If I were anywhere in the State and wanted to camp the night, I'd try to make it here. It's an amazing spot.
- Taos PuebloTaos, NMrecommended Taos PuebloOne of the most fascinating examples of Native American culture in the Southwest. The multi-level adobe structure is a living community dating back more than 1,000 years. You can do a walking tour and ... read moreget amazing photographs.Recommended for:Travis Katz
Definitely a highlight!
- International UFO Museum & Research Center114 North Main Street, Roswell, NMrecommended International UFO Museum & Research CenterIf you're a fan of Mulder and Scully (and you are if you know who I'm talking about), then you've got to go seek the truth about what really happened in Roswell, New Mexico in 1945. The International ... read moreUFO Museum & Research Center will leave little doubt that we are not alone. Of especial interest are the newspaper clippings from the local newspaper at the time of the infamous incident.Baxter Jackson
Since you're going to be close to Roswell anyway, you might as well pop into the International UFO Museum & Research Center to make the theme 'Cowboys & Aliens' complete :-)
commented on this trip
I've been through there and would recommend this website: http://www.newmexico.org/billythekid/
It's a comprehensive and easy guide to follow in Billy the Kid's footsteps.