Trip Plan Details
- A for Athens HotelMiaouli 2-4recommended A for Athens HotelA tiny bit pricier than I'd normally pay, but it turned out to be worth it for all the reasons we needed: completely easy to get to (we were meeting people), as it's right across the square from the ... read moreMonastiraki metro stop; fairly big rooms (our friends had kids); and comfy (we were coming off a terrible series of flights). Really generous breakfast is served on the roof, which has an amazing view of the Acropolis (oh, that old thing...). That same roof hosts a bar at night, which I would say is the one drawback--the lobby was jammed with party people, and there's only one tiny elevator. As a hotel guest, you can skip the elevator line, but still it's a bit to navigate. But for a very easy couple of nights in Athens, I would recommend this hotel heartily.Zora O'Neill
The area right around the hotel (Monastiraki) is quite lively at night--lots of cafes open late and people hanging out in the square.
- Tzitzikas kai MermigasΜητροπόλεως 12-14, Athens 10563, Greecerecommended Tzitzikas kai MermigasThe name of the restaurant means the Ant and the Cricket, the name of one of Aesop's fables. And the restaurant is similarly folksy--but because it's in the center of Athens, about a block and a half ... read morefrom Syntagma (on Mitropoleos), it's also a bit slick and modern...in a good way. The food is very particular, fresh regional Greek specialties--a lot of uncommon dishes, but also some typical stuff, like rusk-and-tomato salad, but even that is plated in a creative way. The interior is styled like a village store--lots of shelves with groceries on display. This is a great find in a difficult part of town for nice restaurants. Oh, and it does not hurt at all that they pour you free shots of raki before you even order!Zora O'Neill
It's been a while since I've eaten here, but it was lovely.
- Central Athens HotelApollonos 21, Athens 10557, Greecerecommended Central Athens HotelGets the job done. Walkable to main square with metro station. beautiful view of the Panthenon from the roof. Streets around the hotel were a bit dark at night. Very helpful hotel staff.Recommended for:Anne-Michele Harrington
Budget friendly option.
- Nissaki HotelPlatys Gialos 84600, Greecerecommended Nissaki HotelThis hotel is basic but comfortable. The rates on this property are some of the lowest in Mykonos. There are two great reasons to stay here. The location is 100 feet away from the beach and the water ... read moretaxis are 100 feet in the opposite direction. The second reason to stay here is that the sister hotel next door is a five star hotel and you get use of all of the facilities. One of the best values on Mykonos Island.Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
Not knowing your budget, this is a pretty basic hotel about 10 minutes out of Mykonos Town. There are two reasons to stay out of town noise and lack of beaches. Mykonos is not a huge island and there are only about 35 taxis on the whole island. Obviously not enough for the masses. You want to stay in Ornos, Agios Yannis or Platys Gialos. I have stayed in all 3 at different times and prefer PG because the water taxis to take you to some remote beaches are right there. If you want to go sightsee or party in Mykonos Town there are motor coaches that are huge and really comfortable that will transport you for a small fee. It isn't a public bus and any hotel you stay at can give you the schedule. They run until about 5a so if you want to stay and party, it's easy. A link to my Mykonos Guide. http://www.gogobot.com/user/kat-von-b/passport/mykonos-island-greece#
- Cape SounionAthinon-Souniou Road, Lavreotiki 195 00 Greecerecommended Cape SounionA long drive (around 1 hr) outside Athens, this relatively unknown spot is popular with Athenians; it has various tavernas by the sea and a fantastic view from a hill where the ruins of a former ... read moretemple to Poseidon lie. You can also go for a swim; though the beaches are not of the magical Aegean quality, they're still of a high standard. I'd say if you're in Athens for 4 or more days it's worth a visit...BUT completely unaccessible without a car.Recommended for:
- AcropolisDionysiou Areopagitou Street, Athens 105 58 Greecerecommended AcropolisAn obvious must. Definitely visit the museum.Recommended for:
- Hotel MatinaPO Box 213, Kamari Beach, Santorini 847 00, Greecerecommended Hotel MatinaI actually really liked this place! It was a basic property in Santorini and the price was pretty reasonable. Santorini is really expensive so if you are on a budget this place is good. It is one ... read moreblock away from Kamari Beach which is one of the island's Black Sand Beaches. There are plenty of restaurants nearby and I would definetly suggest renting a Vespa to get around. The owners are very accomodating and you can arrange for airport transfers or he will pick you up at the port. They charge a nominal fee but it is well worth it. There is a pool and a small bar if you want to just chill at the hotel. Love It!Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
This is a budget property in the Kamari Beach neighborhood. There are several places to stay including Oia, Imerovigli, Fira. Not sure what you are looking to spend but Santorini is extremely expensive. The island is huge so you will have to do a bit of planning ahead. If you are adventurous then rent a vespa or a car. If you choose not to rent a car then also make sure you arrange hotel transfers with the property you are staying at. Upon arrival in Santoriniwhether it be by plane or boat it has a tendency to be chaotic so take care of that small detail ahead of time. A link to my Santorini Guide :) http://www.gogobot.com/user/kat-von-b/passport/santorini-greece
- New Acropolis MuseumΔιονυσίου Αρεοπαγίτου 15, Athens 11742, Greecerecommended New Acropolis MuseumOne of the Best Mueseums I have ever seen. Try to go at night if possible because the structure is glass and there is a fantastic view of the Acropolis lit up. It is a fascinating and modern museum ... read morethat is a MUST if you are visiting Athens.Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
This was recently voted one of the best museums in Europe! It is pretty spectacular and IMHO one of the sites that Greece should really be proud of. I also am sending you a link to my Athens Guide because there are tons of restaurants and bars listed and I have plenty to say about all of them. The thing to try in Greece is a gyro and the two best places are listed in my guide. Ironically they both have the same name "Kostas" Enjoy! http://www.gogobot.com/user/kat-von-b/passport/athens
- Attalos HotelAthinas 29 | Monastiraki, Athens 10554, Greecerecommended Attalos HotelI literally stayed at this hotel for 7 weeks. Everyone was very accommodating and friendly. It is clean and there is good wifi that is free. The location is amazing though! It is near the main ... read moreshopping area Ermou. The hotel is also located one block from Psyrri which is a great area for bars and restaurants. 5 minutes from Plaka and 1 minute from Monastiraki. oh and a block from the subway... Comfortable and Inexpensive too!Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
A two minute walk from Plaka this is a great option if you are on a budget. It isn't fancy but it is clean and the staff is great! It is also very close to the Central Marketplace of Athens and shopping if you choose to see Athens through the eyes of a local. The staff all speak english and it is right next to my favorite neighborhood Psyrri. The neighborhood comes alive at 11pm and has some of the most interesting bars and restaurants in all of Athens.
- Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection HotelVas. Georgiou A' 1 | Constitution Square, Athens 10563, Greecerecommended Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection HotelThe best hotel in Athens! The service is 5* and if you can afford the steep price you should absolutely stay here! It is Historical and Fabulous... The most centrally located and the rooftop pool is ... read moregreat for celebrity sightings.Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
If you opt for a luxury hotel, Hotel Grande Bretagne is perfect! The staff is amazing and the location is perfect!
- Astra SuitesPO Box 45, Imerovigli 84700, Greecerecommended Astra SuitesIt's all about the view at this stunning Imerovigli hotel...so much so that it was difficult to drag ourselves away to explore the rest of Santorini. All of the rooms, the pool, and the restaurant ... read morelook out over the caldera. The simply furnished rooms are built into the cliffside. Open the shutters to reveal a small patio where you can sit to enjoy the view with coffee in the morning. Breakfast and a welcoming bottle of Santorini wine were included with the room. Poolside, there is a small bar--order lunch or cocktails to watch the sun set. There is also a small outdoor restaurant for dinner, though Fira is only a short walk away. Having found paradise, I won't need to look elsewhere the next time I return to Santorini.Recommended for:
commented on this trip
Take a raincoat, as it is raining very heavily there.
- AnafiotikaAnafiotika, Athens, Greecerecommended AnafiotikaIt is my "Secret" place! I am Greek and it was tricky for me to find but so worth it! You totally forget that you are surrounded by a huge city and it is always quiet with no tourists. The best time ... read moreto go there is between 2-5 when the Greeks nap. A great place to wander and if you follow the wooden signs you'll end up at the acropolis.Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
Visit on the same day you go to the Acropolis and the Parthenon. A Must!
- New Hotel AthensFilellinon 16, Athens 10557, Greecerecommended New Hotel AthensThis is a Fabulous Hotel recently opened in Athens by the Yes Hotel Group. It's modern,the service is great and the rooms comfortable. They have thought of all the little things that make a stay ... read morememorable.Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
The location of this hotel is perfect! The ruins are nearby and it is a five minute walk to Syntagma Square.