Road to Seoul

1230 South Western Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90006
Road to Seoul

Spiritual Seekers

These days we've been on an addiction rampage for Korean BBQ! Funny, after every Korean BBQ meal, we swear up and down we are all Korean BBQ out, no more KBBQ for awhile, the following week or two, we're back! LOL!
    Now that I had some experiences with a few AYCE restaurants, I still think Road to Seoul has the best quality of meat. For $17.99 you can get about 19 different kind of meat and for $22, you get the seafood as well.

When you come here, be prepared to "Stink" like BBQ and meat, (so don't wear your best), put your hair up, prepare to get your hands and mouth greasy and a full stomache by the time you leave!
    The brisket and the sirloin steak was my favorite! They cook with an open fire grill with charcoal and when the meat is a bit char-burnt, it's delicious and tastes like BBQ.

The Sirloin was heavenly, mouth watering delicious. I would definately come here and pay $16.95 to just have their juicy, tender sirloin meat then any fancy smancy steak house's sirloins. My gosh the steak was so good it literally just melts in your mouth piece by piece and leaving you begging for more even though you're appetite is stuffed! The tripe was delicious too but a little bit too fatty. I wasn't a big fan of the bulgogi because it was sweet and plain.
    I ordered the spicy cold noodles and the waitress seperate the sauce for me so I can mix it due to how spicy we wanted. Surprisnly it wasnt too spicy and it tastes great!
    The kimchi and hot sauces on the appetizers plates made it look so spicy. But it wasn't which was great because we don't eat spicy.

Meat:
    *Brisket: was thin but tasty with a bit of a burnt char to it.
    *Sirloin: best meat on the menu. Excellent quality! Although thick and chunky, the meat is tender and very juicy.
    Road to Seoul beef: So-so..
    *Beef rib meat: a bit too marinated for me
    Beef tongue: thin slices. Textured was different. A slight after taste to it. Not one of my favorite.
    *Baby octopus: chewy! :-)
    *Pork neck: chewy but soft
    BBQ Chicken: marinated and it's by far one of the best chicken I've had at Korean BBQ
    Black pork (bacon style): have not try
    Beef Bulgogi: heavily marinated. Not my favorite
    Whole squid: OK
    Calf intestine: have not try
    Spicy pork belly: have not try
    Large intestine: um, I'll pass
    Pork belly rice cake roll: have not try
    Road to Seoul beef rice cake roll: have not try
    *= must try! :-)

**Wrap a piece of rice paper or radish with the meat,a piece of garlic and dip it in their sesame oil with sea salt seasoning, and.. you got the best piece of meat your taste buds ever tasted!
    Side dishes were not as grand as a year or two ago, but they have steam egg, kimchi pancake, one of the best potato salad I've had, kimchi, bean sprouts, broccoli and salad.

My experience is, if you come around 6ish, you might not have to wait for a table. But if you are here past 7pm, prepare for a wait from 30 minutes to an hour! They get extremely busy and hyper on the weekends.
    Service may not be top notch, but they do come around when you call them.
    $2 for valet parking.

Spiritual Seekers

What's not to love about Korean BBQ? Of all the places one could go, I would definitely recommend this: all you can eat meat, vegetables, potato stuff, complete with all the toppings one needs - AND, when you've ordered your fourth round of meat, they don't take forever to get you the food or even cut you off. This place is pure meat heaven, and fresh.

Great for small parties, or big ones! Super accommodating, just make sure to place a reservation or be prepared to wait forever!

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife LoversStudentsTrendsters
    Spiritual Seekers

1 of my fave AYCE kbbq ;-)

Quality of meat can vary at times but most times its good & tonight it was good =) +1

Service is ok but is better when you order alcohol.

Service was not good in the beginning, they didn't even cut up our meats/squids up for us ;-( -1

Then in the end they started doing so that we would leave sooner. They were trying to get us to leave so that they could seat new customers. Boo -1

Go early to avoid long lines.

If you go rush time then theyll put you on the waiting list & make you wait until all of your party is there.

Youll smell like bbq all over after you eat here ;-P

Overall, for the $$ you pay you get in return good food here ;-)

• Road to Seoul

Road To Seoul? More like Road To FULL!

Came here a little while ago at the request of my friend who was visiting me in LA for the weekend. She had NEVER been to a KBBQ place (blasphemy, I know), and said lots of her friends highly recommended Road To Seoul, so I agreed to take her here to pop her KBBQ cherry! :P

I've been to a handful of KBBQ places at this point and they're all pretty much the same to me, with the exception of their prices and whether they're AYCE or not.

This KBBQ place was interesting because it wasn't in the busier part of Koreatown where most of the places I've been to are. Road To Seoul is instead not too far off the 10 freeway, in a rather less busy, residential area. I didn't know they had their own valet lot (which honestly holds like 10 cars), so I circled the block twice before parking on a side street.

We arrived around 7:30pm on a Sunday night, and it was NOT crowded at all! Honestly probably the LEAST crowded KBBQ restaurant I have EVER been to! Not sure if it was just because it was Sunday and "relatively" early, but there were tons of tables available when we got there. Usually I have to wait like 30-60 minutes, but we were able to get seated immediately.

TIP: They will not seat you until your entire party is present.

This is a pretty decently sized KBBQ restaurant with two rooms of tables/grills. They had some big screens playing your typical sports and kpop music videos, in addition to those social media screens that display whenever a person checks in, posts on Instagram/Twitter/FB, writes a good review on Yelp, etc. Pretty cool! I love seeing my name pop up on those :P

Road To Seoul is a little on the pricier side in terms of AYCE. I think it was like around $18-20 for the lowest AYCE package, which is more than I normally like to pay. However, it came with a lot of side dishes, and we were able to get the onion pancake (SO GOOD OMG), and the egg soup which was good.

The people working there were ok, pretty attentive for the most part, although once when I rang our table buzzer, NOBODY came... I also thought they were giving us dirty looks because we didn't leave IMMEDIATELY after we paid the bill. It wasn't even super busy or anything that they needed our table for new customers...so that was annoying.

As far as the meats go, we got the Beef Brisket, Road To Seoul Beef, Pork Belly, Seasoned Beef Rib Meat, Spicy Pork Belly, and maybe one other meat... My favorites were the Beef Brisket and the Road To Seoul Beef! They were flavorful and easy to cook. Our least favorite was probably the Spicy Pork Belly, but that might have also been because that was the last meat we ordered and we regretted the fact that we ordered it and couldn't finish it!

NOTE: If you do not finish all of your meat, you get charged the fee of an extra person. Yikes!

For dessert, they have the macaron ice cream sandwiches that I've seen at some other KBBQ places, but you have to pay an addition $3.50 or so to get one. I thought they were ok...but not something I'm dying to get. They taste way better at MILK.

Overall, I had a pretty good experience at Road To Seoul, but nothing really stood out to me to give it FIVE stars. Also, I didn't want to give it five stars because it was more on the expensive end for me in terms of AYCE KBBQ.

• Road to SeoulPro 2014

This is a big Korean BBQ restaurant. They have great meat choices for all you can eat, including beef tongue, short ribs, chicken, and baby squid, just to name a few. In addition to the usual Korean side dishes, you also get a pancake and a steamed egg.

• Road to Seoul

Back when AYCE kbbq wasn't as popular as it is now, the only restaurant I remember hearing about was Road to Seoul. I finally was able to try out their kbbq and I do have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I was with a party of 9 and we had originally made reservations at Moodaepo, but the wait was over an hour long, even though we had called ahead. The wait at Road to Seoul wasn't too bad - they said about 15-20 minutes, which was way better than over an hour wait. Honestly we did end up waiting about 40 minutes, but I do think our experience at Road to Seoul was worth that wait.

They had told us that there was a table with only one grill available if we didn't want to wait when he had first arrived, but 9 people crowding around 1 grill ... we opted to wait, which was a better plan. There are three levels of AYCE $18.99, $22.99 and $25.99 for their dinner prices. Of course everybody has to order the same meal set, so we all got the most expensive, which honestly I think we could have gotten the cheapest one and have been just as satisfied, but whatever.

The side dishes were good, the staff was helpful and friendlier than most kbbq places, and even though we ordered a lot of food, they were happy to accommodate. I did feel like the selection of meat was much better than El Monte's Korea House BBQ - the bulbogi was tasty, pork belly had very nice flavor, side dishes and steamed egg and tofu soup were decent, short ribs were also very good, pancake was okay. Shrimp and octopus were ... interesting.

I think the standout meats were the pork neck and the large intestines! Add the beef brisket and bulgogi and I think those four dishes were my favorite of the night. One of my friends wanted a slice of lemon and we were charged $1 for a couple of slices, which I thought was a little high. Definitely a great meal, with a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere - usually people come to eat, chill and have a good time.

tl;dr: try the pork neck, brisket, bulgogi and large intestines. Place is pricier than most, so make sure you order a lot of the things not on the other two menus if you opt for the most expensive set. Pretty good service - will definitely come back when I'm in the area!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFoodiesNightlife LoversTrendsters
  • Road to SeoulPro 2014

Ok so let's be honest. Is kbbq ever truly bad? I seriously don't think so. I absolutely love it as does almost everyone else that I know. Road to Seoul is no different than almost every other kbbq joint around, except that they have a better selection of meats and some are slightly better quality than you an find at other joints.

Overall it was pretty tasty... I thought that they had good quality meats... This is to be issued out when judging a kbbq joint. They had a couple of meal options here and We were happy getting the header of the two options that they have.

Pro tip: you can park on the street for free or in there mini lot for a valet service charge.

Be warned that they do not have the best service. We had to constantly ask for things like 3-4 times. That is something that I find abhorrently ridiculous. Come on folks lets just have folks who understand English and who will bring what you request when you request it. Yes this does go against their reputation, but I was very disappointed by needing to repeatedly request a number of times to get our next order.

Some highlights:
    bulgogi was not flavorful and needed sauce
    awesome rib meat and sirloin
    Tasty galbi
    The larger tables seemed to get better service as did the tables with someone who spoke Korean.

Worth trying and if they have improved their service then this place old be very good, even with the disappointing bulgogi.

• Road to SeoulPro 2014

Another great place to go for Korean BBQ in the area would definitely be here. The first thing I noticed that was different from other KBBQ places I've been to is the grill. Instead of the round grills, this was rectangular, and it seems a bit smaller than normal, but that's not really a big deal for me.

This place is smaller than Moodaepo II though. However, meat is delicious and they have good side dishes as well. Of course, everything here is all you can eat.

They serve alcohol here as well! Definitely need that at a KBBQ place! Great place for groups! They will line the tables up for you if you have a lot of people! Do plan on waiting though as it does get busy. Parking is really small! Valet!

• Road to SeoulPro 2014

Road to Seoul is the place to go Period! I can end my review here and you wouldn't have to read another word. Yes, it's that good. When anyone mentions Ktown my first thought is always Road to Seoul then maybe karoke, soju bombs, a lot of beer, korean ladies, then maybe a fight. That's how it goes down in ktown.

After going to the Clipper's game, I knew that ktown stays open late so what better way to spending a Wednesday night than eating korean bbq. I was so excited to write an update for Road to Seoul, but I never wrote a review after going here multiple times. So lazy of me. Here are the reasons why you should come here.

Parking!
    What there's parking in LA? Exactly. Free parking in the back of Road to Seoul or 2 dollar valet parking in the front.

AYCE Korean BBQ!
    Yup it's the only way to eat Korean BBQ. Trust me I have racked up near a hundred dollar tab once eating KBBQ, so if you can get AYCE for under 20 dollars I'm in for sure.

Quality!
    The banchan side dishes are okay. I like the egg bowl thingie I'm not sure what its called and the crispy onion pancake. I like to use the noodle wrap and lettuces to wrap the meat in a taco like fashion. That's the right way to eat KBBQ. Back in the day I use to eat the meat with a bowl of rice, but that was before I became a KBBQ pro!

Meat! Meat! And more Meat!
    Get in my belly! My favorite item here is the squid! It looks weird but it taste so good. I'm not talking about the baby octopus but a full sized squid. Delicious and marinated right. Beef tongue and the brisket are very tender and delicious. Don't forget the Kalbi! I love that the beef rib is already cut without the bone. It saves the trouble of trying to rip the tendon off with you teeth. So you can eat all the beef rib you want without the bone. Don't forget about pork belly! Mmmm PORK BELLY! If you like bacon this is like bacon's supermodel sister. It is so good. Don't worry you can still be friends with bacon, but pork belly is The One. This review is making me hungry. I hope a Road to Seoul open in Irvine that would be sweet. Driving to LA sucks.

Flavor!
    Coals with gas grill adds a nice smokey flavor to the meat.

Smokey!
    The only possible downside about R2S is the smoke. It's getting hot in herre! So take off all your clothes. JK. I just had Nelly flashback. Like all other indoor korean bbq places ventilation sucks. It's like Snoop and Dre on a Up in Smoke tour. You might have cleaner air in a smoked filled casino. Try to site near a window if possible. If you are towards the middle of the restaurant, hold your breath. Okay maybe not. Just have pleny of cold beer and wait until you leave to breath again. Warning you will smell like BBQ by the end of the night.

I can't wait to go back again for some more Road to Seoul food coma. I love it that much maybe enough to drive in traffic to LA. I highly recommend you bookmark and try Road to Seoul. If you are really picky with korean food and don't like R2S I feel bad for you. Can you really give a bad rating to a KBBQ joint? I know how to cook and can work magic on a grill. I'm sorry if you can't. Just saying.

• Road to SeoulAmbassadorPro 2014

Love this place, it's one of my favorite KBBQ places. Great banchan and all you can eat menu. Love their brisket with rice paper and ssam jung (soybean paste). Coming with a Korean speaker usually makes it easier to get the attention of waiters, heh. Make sure to make a reservation if you can in advance!

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
  • Road to Seoul

The "Road to Seoul" beef is excellent, and of course they have all the standard cuts of meat for you to throw on the grill here as well. They do use charcoal here so it's extra tasty but also extra smoky, so wear stuff you don't have to dry clean.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesNightlife Lovers
    Spiritual Seekers

When theres all you can eat KBBQ, what more could you ask for right!

The all you can eat is just protocol. You can get everything from intestines(Yes, i know many people do not like but I enjoy all kinds of food), to steak, squid, octopus, tongue, ribs, and many many more choices. When we went they had to swap out the grill several times we ate so much. The soju and the beer was just as good. A great thing to wash down some KBBQ is some good old fashioned Hite or Soju! It was a group of 8, so the table we had was sufficient, but could have been more roomier. The server was great and got the job done with the amount of orders we put in.

Timing is everything, get there early when you dont have a reservation otherwise it gets packed fast. They do not accept reservations for parties under 10.

Parking is either valet or on the side street behind.

• Road to Seoul

one of the better Korean BBQ places I have been to. I went on a day that was packed but we were able to be seated quickly. All you can eat for under $20 is definitely worth it! The servers are really nice and helpful. The food comes out quite quickly so you can get started relatively quick! The only drawback is parking it sucks but that is everywhere in LA

• Road to SeoulPro 2014

Drew M., Vanessa H., Bridget P., and I walked in around 3 pm on a Saturday. We were seated almost immediately. I did notice that they have signs posted regarding no outside food or drink. They also had signs stating that your entire party must be present to be seated and that they cannot add to your party once you start eating. I guess they've had those problems in the past.

It's AYCE KBBQ. Pretty standard. We opted for the $17.99 AYCE. We ordered a variety of beef, pork belly, and lots of rice paper. The quality of meat here is decent. We also ordered 3 bottles of Hite beer. The banchan is pretty standard here. The doorbell will flag a waiter down for you. There are multiple that will come by and assist to bring you more meat or change your grill. We ate until we couldn't eat anymore and that's saying a lot for 4 people who love to eat. I can see how this place might become busy during peak hours. We just happened to go at a time they were slow. I'm not sure I would wait over an hour for this place but do go if it's not busy.

• Road to Seoul

pretty good variety. I prefer the sirloin, brisket, or the seasoned rib meat. Service was ok, but apparently all the servers quit when i went so halfway through the meal, no food came. I guess i have to give them a pass on that one though

• Road to Seoul

Main AYCE competitor to Hae Jang Chon within Ktown LA, this place doesn't quite stand up to the deliciousness. I think the brisket is far better at their competitor but what this place does offer is ample seating & a solid meal. It just won't knock your socks off once you been spoiled. Try the black pork belly, a specialty in the style of Southern Korea island, Jeju.

• Road to Seoul

Great AYCE place and they know how to move volumes of hungry people trying to get their moneys worth of eating. The food is excellent, but I do have to knock it down one star because I think the ventilation is kinda poor and gets too smokey sometimes. Don't wear anything fancy to this place, as all of your clothes will really smell of KBBQ. Even my car still had a scent of it lingering a few days after.

• Road to SeoulAmbassador

This is one of the better AYCE KBBQ places in Ktown. The best time to go would be weekday lunchtime, if possible; be prepared for a wait during prime dinner hours, especially if you come with a large group. The kimchi and banchan here are quite good; I especially like the egg custard, the fish cake, and the kimchi pancake. As for meats, you should try the pork neck, the beef brisket, and maybe a little baby octopus, just for fun. The service here is usually good as well. Parking can be found on the street or in the lot around back.

• Road to Seoul

Bomb diggidy. Nuf said. AYCE for under 20 dollars a person. The meat is all really good and this is a very popular spot.

• Road to Seoul

Another AWESOME AYCE KBBQ! and $8 bottles of soju! Non-stop or should I say unstop-able eating and drinking for $27 a person (including tax and tip)

This place is clean and not as smokey as the other KBBQ places. For $16.99 AYCE, you have a choice of chicken, bulgogi, beef brisket, marinated beef, pork neck, pork belly tongue octopus and cuttle fish. Panchan, steamed eggs, salad, dukk, kimchi pancake and the sauces, you get all the typical service/side dishes here.

Meat here is so good! I especially liked the marinated ones. WOW! As soon as I tasted the first piece of marinated meat, I was in business. I sat there, ate and didn't say a word the whole time I was eating. I did not want the flavor to ever leave my mouth! Even the octopus was really good and I am never impressed with the seafood selections at AYCE KBBQs.

The service was great~ people were very polite unlike some other AYCE KBBQ places where waiters get pissed off when you ask for too many dukk... As soon as we pressed that button *DING DONG* the waiter was at our table. SO QUICK!

It must be the competition... but AYCE KBBQ places in k-town have been impressing me! But this one is my favorite so far! I wonder how Manna is doing... (I hate that place)

3,927 people visited Road to Seoul