- The Bayleaf HotelMuralla corner Victoria Streets, Intramuros 1002, Philippines
- City Garden Hotel MakatiMakati Avenue corner Kalayaan Avenue, Makati, Luzon 7870, Philippinesrecommended City Garden Hotel MakatiThe decor might be a bit bland at this spot midway up Makati Ave., but the rooms are clean and business-standard, the buffet breakfast (with omelette station!) is solid, and the rooftop pool and ... read morerestaurant are lovely. Good value.Matthew Crompton
For a mid-range hotel in the makati area, consider this place. You can check out the Manila section of my passport for more ideas. Good luck!
- Gerry's GrillPaseo De Roxas, Ayala Avenue, Makati City, Philippinesrecommended Gerry's GrillFull ear-shatteringly loud bass (thanks to the massive speaker system blasting 80's classics), the atmosphere might be a little weird, but the meaty Filipino favorites (including more variations on ... read morefish and pork than you can shake a stick at) are outstanding. Portions are huge as well, but bring a pair of ear-plugs.Matthew Crompton
And if you can get past the insane bass in this restaurant, great Filipino food.
- Greenbelt Shopping MallAyala Avenue, Makati City, Philippinesrecommended Greenbelt Shopping MallGranted, malls are malls. Still, not all malls are created equal. With its open terraces, shady palm trees and leafy landscaped courtyard, Greenbelt Mall is a great place to beat the heat of the day ... read morein metro Manila. More, (if you can get over the idea of awesome dining being located in a shopping mall) it's a great place for a meal or a drink in the evening, when the crowds come out.Matthew Crompton
A nice commercial area with good dining in Makati.
- BaywalkBaywalk, Manila, Philippinesrecommended BaywalkA 2km strip running along Manila Bay, this pleasant promenade is an excellent place to relax, people-watch, and take in the sunset after a long day sightseeing in the heat. There's a fair amount of ... read morehomelessness on display here, and more than a few hawkers, but people are largely polite and unobtrusive. It's one of Manila's best public spaces and a great place to take in the life of the city.Matthew Crompton
And taking in sunset here is a perfect end to a day in the city.
- IntramurosPadre Burgos and General Luna Street, Manila 1002 Philippinesrecommended IntramurosIntramuros in Manila is the traditional walled fort at the center of the city -- 'Intramuros' literally means 'between the walls'. Though it was almost completely destroyed except for the exterior ... read morefortifications during the Battle of Manila in the closing days of WWII, the area was rebuilt and retains a lovely Spanish-colonial flavor, quite charming for a morning's exploration, and a pleasant counterpoint to the relentless sprawl of modern Manila.Matthew Crompton
In any case, I'd consider this a must.
- Malate and Ermita NeighborhoodsMalate, Manila, Philippinesrecommended Malate and Ermita NeighborhoodsThe central Manila neighborhoods of Malate and Ermita are the base of the city's travelers' scene, and home to most of it amenities for world wanderers. There's an astonishing amount of sex-tourism ... read morehere to be sure, but it's also full of accommodation in all budget ranges, good restaurants, and the enormous Robinsons Mall. An excellent base for exploring the city (and near to the rail line if you're feeling ambitious), the neighborhood is walkable to Rizal Park, Baywalk, and even Intramuros.Matthew Crompton
Though this spot is also good, particularly for those on a budget.
recommended Makati CityThe upscale heart of Manila, this is where the beautiful people go to see and be seen and (even more importantly) to shop. With seriously upscale malls and a cosmopolitan vibe, this is the place to go ... read morefor luxury brands or for a glam night out.Matthew Crompton
Probably the neighborhood where you'll want to stay.