Saba Travel Guide

• SabaPro 2014
    Alex L
    5 Dec 11, 2013

The most underrated island in the Caribbean. Okay, granted, that's possibly because there's only one beach on the island, and it usually disappears at high tide. But, hey, you're in the Caribbean, so you can easily laze on a beach on St. Martin or another nearby island before arriving on Saba.

Here's why you would want to go to Saba: Some of the best diving in the Caribbean. Crazy good hiking (hire Crocodile Jim Johnson to be your guide; he knows every plant on the island). Shockingly good restaurants. A fascinating cultural mix of Dutch, English and African on an island with a population that's fewer than most US high schools.

The entire island looks like one giant forested iceberg sticking straight out of the Caribbean. (In fact, the airport runway is manmade, since there wasn't one flat spot on the entire island ... and yes, that means landing on the island is part of the adventure.)

The prices are a third of what you'd find on nearby islands, and the word 'crowd' doesn't appear, ever. Nightlife is watching outdoor movies at the local cafe or doing a sweat at the Ecolodge Rendezvous. The island is also incredibly LGBT-friendly, and gays and lesbians are not just welcomed by pretty much everyone on the entire island without fail, but sought after as guests.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBudget TravelersGreen TravelersOutdoor Enthusiasts
    Jeffrey Donenfeld
    5 Jul 18, 2012

This past week that I was spending time in St. Maarten, I decided to take a quick three day trip over to the rocky island of Saba, Netherlands. Saba is not a usual tourist or yachting destination, since it’s steep rock cliffs rise directly from the water, and make anchoring near and accessing the island very difficult. So, since I had some time in the area, I decided to take a quick trip over to check it out.

I was initially going to take The Edge ferry over from St. Maarten to Saba, but on the morning I got to the ferry, it was broken down. Instead, I made the fortunate decision of booking a quick flight on Winair, the regional airline.

Winair flies DHC Twin Otter 19-passenger aircraft to Saba. Since the Saba airport runway is so short, the Twin Otter is just about the only plane that can reliable land on it.

The flight over to Saba was great – taking off and cruising in the Twin Otter was a complete pleasure – the plane is very comfy, and has smooth performance. Additionally, the landing went well – the airport is on a very steep cliff, so the pilot much touch down perfectly, or risk rolling off the end. Luckily our landing went smoothly. I sat in the very first row of seats in the plane, so I got a front row view over the pilots shoulders of the landing. They both looked fairly relaxed, and we actually stopped well short of the end of the runway. As soon as the plane touched down, the pilot switched the props to reverse thrust to slow us down very fast.

During the flight, I met two students at the local medical school – Ajit and [Jane]. They were on their way back to Saba after vacationing for a week on St. Maarten. They were both fun to hang out with, and [Jane] and I ended up hanging out later in the week with a few of her other classmates.

On Saba, I stayed at El Momo Cottages, owned and managed by a guy named Andries. I heard about El Momo from Peter, a guy I was staying with at The Crew House the previous week in St. Maarten. When I got to El Momo, Andries was out on the grounds “gardening” with a machette. When I found him, he was very very nice, and got me checked in and setup at my cottage – The Lizard Cottage – fast. Andries is a great guy, and was consistently hospitable, attentive and easy to get along with during my entire stay. Besides being a great host, he’s also a generally cool guy – I ended up going to the beach with him and a few other guests, and we shared a decent amount in common – definitely a good person to stay in touch with.

El Momo Cottages is an amazing place to stay. The whole place is tucked deep in the jungle on a hillside just above The Windward Side, Saba’s main town. El Momo is a collection of cottages and small buildings, all connected by concrete and gravel stairways winding through the jungle. Guests get their own private cottages, and the office, bathrooms, showers, and restaurant/dining area are all in their own separate buildings tucked into the jungle. Also, El Momo has a nice swimming pool, which is kept nice and clean, despite the constant onslaught of seeds, twigs and flowers from the surrounding jungle. I was very impressed with this place – it’s natural setting makes it feel like you’re really living in the jungle – and despite all the gardening, the paths are all about 1/4 covered with invading plants, vines and flowers from the surrounding jungle – a very natural feel. It’s also livable, clean, and peacefull. My cottage was well maintained and clean, and came with it’s own porch, linens, and visitors guide. Andreis is not only the owner, caretaker, gardner and mechanic, but he’s also the chef – and makes guests very tasty breakfasts in the morning. Also, I loved the “honor bar” in the dining hall, which was stocked with lots of drinks, beer, wine, rum, and snacks to take at will, with a small clipboard to write down what you take – convenient! I really can’t say enough about how cool and comfortable staying at El Momo was.

I was only in Saba for 3 days, so my activities there were pretty condensed. During my first day, after landing and checking in at El Momo, I unpacked and relaxed in the jungle for a bit, and then went for a walk into town. There are two main towns in Saba – The Bottom and The Windward Side. The Windward side is essentially the main town, and where most of the shops and restaurants are. I spent most of the afternoon my first day walking around The Windward side, and checked out a bunch of the shops. For dinner on Day 1, I stopped at Saba’s Treasure, a local bar and pizza joint. Showing up at an age old locals bar on an island in the Caribbean was definitely interesting. As I saddled up to the bar and ordered a Presidente Beer – a beer from the Dominican Republic which is popular in Saba – I was immediately given the look over by a bunch of locals sitting at the bar, as well as everyone else eating. I had a few sips of beer, and then started talking to some of the random people, including a sailor who was laying over in Saba for a while, waiting to race is sailboat in the next regatta in Bermuda. It was very very interesting talking to another sailor in a bar – I really considered this guy – who had a couple people around him – to be classes ahead of me, not even in the same realm, and definitely not somebody I would ever be able to talk to. However, we quickly launched into an hour long conversation about sailing, and problems with sailboats, getting very detailed in discussing random stuff like jib telltale attachments, sailboat refrigerators, spinlock and block construction, and regatta strategy. Definitely interesting that I could have a whole conversation about that kind of stuff.

Day Two on Saba was the big hiking day. I woke up early and Andreis prepared me a tasty breakfast. Then, I went down to town to meet [Jane] and Justin at the trailhead for the Mt. Scenery hike. Mt. Scenery is the main mountain in Saba, and is covered by thick thick jungle. As we started to hike up the jungle trail, we noticed large orange fiberoptic cable pipes running up the mountain alongside the trail. There’s a large transmission tower at the top of the mountain, and the community was in the process of running new communications lines to it, as part of a complete upgrade. Hiking up through the jungle was amazing. As we got higher, we ascended into a thick cloud, and got a bit of rain. Being in the thick jungle, with lizards and frogs everywhere, giant palm and banana trees, vines, and mud everywhere, combined with the weird orange pipes was a gritty experience. I quickly began to feel like I was in the jungle level of some sort of video game.

Then, as we got near the top of the mountain, the video game feel of the day turned squarely into a James Bond Goldeneye for N64 level, as we came upon the huge radio transmitter sitting at the top of the mountain, dissapearing skyward into the clouds. The jungle was quickly growing into the huge tower, and scattered around the base were many broken and rusting satellite dishes, and a delapidated and cracked communications building. The whole thing was very surreal. [Jane] and I climbed a ladder we found up to the roof of the building, to get a first hand view of the base of the transmitter. Very very interesting.

After the transmitter, we hiked around to the true top of the mountain, and the descended to town for milkshakes.

I then went back to El Momo, and met up with Andreis and a few of the guests who were staying there. We took Andries’ car down to the only beach on Saba. Since Saba is a rock island, there are no natural beaches. So, the community decided to build one themselves by blasting away rock from the cliff and importing white sand from St. Maarten. It was fun swimming there, especially considering how much effort and community support went into creating it.

Dinner on day two was back at Saba’s Treasure for some more pizza.

Day three, my last day, was another day of exploration. [Jane] and I met up again, and walked down to the cliffs to find the abandoned sulfur mine. Apparently this mine had initially been created to mine sulfur, with it being offloaded from the sheer cliff via zipline to a nearby small rock island, which was accessible to ships. However, it was quickly abandoned because the terrain was just too rugged. We explored inside the sulfur mine, and then went back to town for more milkshakes!

Finally, I flew out of Saba in the afternoon, and returned to St. Maarten. Overall it was an amazing trip!

Terry Gardner

Saba is a little gem of an island that's about a 12 minute flight from St. Maarten or a two hour ferry ride. I recommend flying so that you can land on the smallest commercial runway in the world!! Saba offers opportunities to scuba dive, snorkel, hike and feast on world class cuisine. I was amazed by the quality of the restaurants.

Saba only has one beach that occasionally appears. It's an island built for active adventure rather than lazing on a beach getting skin cancer (er, I mean "a tan").

Edan Cohen

If you could time-travel back to the 19th Century, you would find like similar to what it is on Saba -- that is, if those in the late 1800s had internet, electricity and cars. Aside from some modern luxuries, life on Saba is as it was hundreds of years ago. Sabans are incredibly friendly and their island is heart-achingly beautiful.

Ronelle

Perfect for solitude, quaint and quite an exciting plane ride in!

Lucy Swift Weber Youdovin
    4 Mar 22, 2012
Find Hotels in Saba:

194 people visited Saba

If you didn't think it possible to travel off the beaten track anywhere in the Caribbean, think again. The miniscule island of Saba looks more like a tropical iceberg jutting straight up from the Caribbean Ocean than your typical reef-tipped and white-sanded vacation island. The island is so steep that visitors are not allowed to drive rental cars on the tiny nation's sole road (named, of course, ... read more
The Road, and built by a correspondence course in the 1940s). But no matter. Not picking up a hitchhiker is illegal, and you'll know half of Saba's 1200 residents within three days anyhow. Besides, you'll probably spend most of your time diving the world-class dive sites, eating at the dozen surprisingly good restaurants, sleeping in at an eco-resort or dive hotel, or hiking the islands two dozen trails (including to a town so isolated, the governing Dutch ordered it abandoned in the 1930s).

Current ForecastbyWeather Underground