Saigon Noodle

381 Main St, Malden, MA 02148

• Saigon NoodlePro 2014
    Sharon "Bubz" Z
    5 Aug 02, 2014

Spicy bo kho? Check. Bun bo hue? Check. North of Boston? Check. Amazing Vietnamnese food? Check. WooHoo!

I'm a certified Vietnamnese food junkie living very north of Boston, where the Vietnamnese food scene within a 10 mile radius can only be considered Meh; a worthy bowl of bun bo hue usually which meant an exhaustively long journey of traffic fighting all the way down to Dorchester. On an exploratory mission to Malden this past Sunday, we found this place across the street from where we parked.

I was surprised to spot two of my most favorite dishes - bun bo hue and bo kho on the menu (rarely found outside of Boston-Dorchester, and particular rare when they use the proper noodles), we ended up ordering one of each. I asked for a side of white rice instead of yellow noodles to go with my bo kho - accommodated with no problem. And after a short wait of 5 minutes, our food was ready for taste test. My bo kho soup was extremely spicy, rich and flavorful, just the way I like it. The beef was the perfect type for bo kho, lots of tendons attached to lean meat, the flavor is completely absorbed into the beef, so delicious yet much less oily than many of the bo kho I have eaten. The combination of scallions, basil and onions did its usual magic of heightening the herbal flavor of the heavenly soup. This is probably the most spicy bo kho I've ever had and its just magnificent. Boyfriend got the bun bo hue, which is made very properly with the right type of noodles and meat. They also have beef hotpot and bun rieu on the menu which are also rare and delicious finds usually only hosted in authentic Vietnamnese joints.

While we were devouring our food, a few tables of customers poured in and the service is lightning fast for everyone. The staff is also very friendly and all smiles. When we were about to sit ourselves next to the door, we were told it may be too cold (in the winter) and were gently asked to moved to inner and warmer spots in the restaurant. Credit cards are accepted but tips must be in cash. There doesn't seem to be a size labeled on the menu (I think usually this implies a medium bowl), but you can ask for large or train size.

Very authentic and delicious Vietnamnese restaurant, I'll definitely be back for more!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesStudents