- Punting On The Avon2 Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch, CAN 8013 New Zealandrecommended Punting On The AvonOur timing was off so we didn't get to take a ride but it looked like fun and the setting was gorgeous.
recommended ChristchurchLaEriketta IlMarce
Travel update: On 22 February 2011, a deadly earthquake struck the city of Christchurch with 181 people killed and the central city very badly damaged. Aftershocks continue and strict limits are in place on access to CBD areas. However the Christchurch airport is operating as usual, and the rest of Christchurch is now 'open for business'. There is plenty to do in and around the city to fill two or three days, and outside of the central city and Lyttleton. Check updates before you go!
Traditionally the most English of the NZ cities, Christchurch has been slower than Auckland and Wellington to embrace the increasingly multicultural nature of urban NZ society. Change is now coming through more diverse immigration and a cosmopolitan tinge is being added to the city’s earlier conservatism. There’s still plenty to remind visitors of Christchurch’s English past though, such as the punts gliding down the sleepy Avon River, and the now-badly damaged Anglican cathedral. But scratch the surface a little, and a more dynamic Christchurch is reflected in the restored laneways and squares around Lichfield St, High St’s hip café scene and locals’ immese pride in their beautifully maintained Arts Centre.
- International Antarctic Centre38 Orchard Road, Christchurch Airport, Christchurch 8053, New Zealandrecommended International Antarctic CentreThe Antarctic Centre is a great place to spend a few hours in Christchurch. You can get up close and personal with some penguins, ride on a snow-cat and even step into a room that's the same ... read moretemperature as the South Pole! great for the kids and anyone with an interest in the deep, deep south!Scott Kennedy
Hi Sam - this place was undamaged in the quake and is open for business!
- Hagley ParkRiccarton Avenue, Christchurch, CAN 8011 New Zealandrecommended Hagley Parkthis delightful inner-city park is a great place to relax in central Christtchurch.Scott Kennedy
Hi Sam - as you'll know the earthquakes over the past year in Chriustchurch have had a devastating effect on the city. Many of the sights and attractions have either been damaged or are closed for repairs. the previous recommendation of the Christchurch Cathedral for example isn't appropriate - that cathedral I'm sad to say, doesn't exist anymore.
- Sumner BeachThe Esplanade, Christchurch, CAN 8008 New Zealand
- Christ Church CathedralChristchurch Central, Christchurch, New Zealand